Are you addicted to something bad for your health?

@LittleMel (14055)
Finally my husband found a better way to fight his nicotine addiction. It's a 12 week plan provided by the company and he has been diligent keeping up with it. He's been trying to quit smoking for a long time. He did smoke lesser, but not completely off it. This plan will help him to do just that little by little. I can see a small improvement in the second week, he doesn't cough as much anymore. What about you? Are you addicted to something bad for your health? What have you done to overcome it, or you just don't care because we all die in the end anyway ?
@polachicago (19073)
Computer is my only addiction and I try to limit my time working on computer. Cell phone is second. I am not talking a lot, but I try to limit it to short conversations.
@LittleMel (14055)
I think you are more of talking than writing person, pola usually people that talk more write less and vice versa
@polachicago (19073)
I agree.
@mbs730 (2152)
I WAS addicted to fast food, sugars, JUNK FOOD! But breaking the addiction (have fallen back here and there but get off much easier) and it feels MUCH better staying away from that crap! It's SO hard at first withdrawing from it but the longer you are away from it, the less it appeals to you (unless you have a super, super stressful day.. then its easy to get back into bad addictions which I can bounce back from thankfully) And congrats to your husband for fighting his nicotine addiction! I have never been addicted to nicotine but I do know how it is to be an addict to a substance and once you are off of it, you feel better. There were plenty of underlying issues as to why I was hiding behind my addiction... it will always be a battle for me but this one I can conquer.
@LittleMel (14055)
if there is a will there is a way your determination helps you find a way to conquer it
@mbs730 (2152)
as hard as that can be, that is true
I'm addicted to nicotine, and i absolutely hate the fact! I've tried to give up several times, but with no luck :( I'm going abroad this autumn, so i want to try giving up again then.. because im seriously worried about what smoking can do to my health xx
I read a discussion the other week where people were saying that they believed that smoking and second-hand smoke were not health risk to themselves or others. That the medical community, media and our government are just hyping the risk factors. I am an ex-smoker and I know for ME that it does harm one's health; if they are prone to lung and heart disease. (which I am) There were angry and saying by posting no-smoking in restaurants/bars, etc, that they were being discriminated against. I was just wondering if you personally suffer any symptoms or are you just concerned by what you have read or heard in the media? I am just curious.
@LittleMel (14055)
saigon I have noticed that some people didn't believe all these bad things said about nicotine, but then again what can you do? I stop worrying about other people a long time ago, it's now my husband and close friends that I pay attention to because they are the ones who will listen. I think pookie has noticed it, that's why she said she is worried
@Deea48 (1168)
Well I want to wish your husband luck, smoking is my addiction as well, and it is so hard to quite, I am very slowly cutting back. I have tried 2 times now to quite with no success. He is very lucky his job will support him in his efforts. I do not even have health insurance. No worries, I will try at some point again, the good thing is every time I try I cut back even more. So one of these times I should get it right. Again good luck to your husband, hope he can do it this time.
@LittleMel (14055)
especially if you don't have health insurance, paying attention to your health is very important. good luck I hope you manage to stop smoking
@LittleMel (14055)
just want to correct this it isn't the company he works for that provides it it's the insurance company
@Al_Bobid (89)
I am addicted to computers and the internet... When I am on line, I read the news, email, write to forums, etc and I don't get anything done. So sometimes, I just don't connect to the internet....
@LittleMel (14055)
true if you are addicted to something you will forget everything else, but just going online often doesn't make you an addict
@chrislotz (8203)
I say good for your husband for trying to quit smoking. I am a smoker and at this time in my life, I don't want to quit. But I have tried to quit many times in the past and I always ended up going back to it. I just don't have the willpower to quit altogether as I like that smoke. to a non smoker that just sounds terrible, I know, but it is just the way it is for me. Maybe one day.
@LittleMel (14055)
it is hard I can see it happened to my husband before he found this plan
@flamenca (82)
Why not look or try to understand what addictions are, what happens just before we turn to the addiction, look at the thoughts, emotions etc.Why do we let the addiction get to us, we listen to that little voice of self-destruction instead of life. Also sometimes e just do not plainly love ourself and we did not have arole model of a person without addictions. Why not replace the addiction with a positive action, instead of a chocolate bar , how about a few deep breaths of a healthy shake of some sort?? Flamenca
@LittleMel (14055)
I never actually know how he started smoking but this happened when he was in school, so that's like over 20 yrs ago. but since we got married I pay attention to his health starting from food and drink then to his smoking. He did smoke lesser but I want him completely off it because I know that's what's best for him and I know he can make it. It will take time but it will happen. Honestly I don't think he knows anyone that doesn't smoke aside from me. A couple of people we know quit smoking but I am the only one who has never been a smoker all my life.
@drumbum04 (172)
I love drinking and playing poker but I have self-control. We have the responsibility to take care of our God-given bodies and we should be mindful of that. It is important to take care of what we have and that's why I strive hard to attain self-control.
@LittleMel (14055)
I agree. anything too much is not good. and preventing a problem from happening is better than solving it. you are not addicted then, if you can control it.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I have to same problem as your husband. I am also addicted to smoking. Of course I smoke less then a pack a day. It's still somehting I need to give up though. I wish your husband good luck. I know it is hard to quit. I wish I had never started truthfully.
@LittleMel (14055)
true, some things we only realize it when it's too late but if you started it, you can also end it one day you will, good luck
i agree with your discribe about care with health, i stiil thingking about your way to avoid usually smoke,maybe i can give suggestion,yes i have addicated to dringking coffee, what your suggestion
@LittleMel (14055)
I don't smoke so I can't make a suggestion some things work for some people and not for some. your doctor will know best
My husband is really badly addicted to nicotine, also. He smokes almost two packs a day. I'm really worried for his health but every time i bring it up, he gets defensive. He's tried to quit several times and even did for a two month period but then a close friend passed away in a car accident and he freaked out and started smoking again. I'm mostly worried because he's been smoking for so long and we have a daughter together. I want him to live longer to be there for her. It's just such a hard addiction to quit. I had an addiction to something once and thank God I've since kicked the habit. It's hard because you don't see how it affects you, how much it takes over your life until you quit. Good luck to you both, it's a long hard road. We're still on it.
@LittleMel (14055)
the things is life problems don't stop coming because we give up to addiction, the addiction itself will cause another problem which is to health so I hope your husband can see that and find a way to quit. My husband goes through the same and good luck for you too.
@mssnow (9493)
I am addicted to chocolate. I never realized it till a few weeks ago. I didn't have any chocolate and i went on an eating binge. I was eating everything in the house and nothing helped. I finally went to the store and bought a chocolate bar and then I was ok.
@LittleMel (14055)
are you sure you went to the store? I couldn't find that chocolate bar, it was missing from the fridge
I'm addicted to potato chips, but I'm trying to stop. I use to smoke, I went through hypnosis in 1992 and haven't smoked since. I'm glad I stopped, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it now.
@LittleMel (14055)
exactly. protecting your health in the long run can also mean protecting your savings and prevent you losing time enjoying your life rather than stay in hospital bed
I used to be a smoker until I became tired of coughing and gasping for breath. I had asthma at the time and didn't know it. I used to lay in bed at night gasping. I finally became tired of it after years of smoking, decided to quit. I didn't use any aids, I just quit. It was the most difficult thing that I ever did in my life. It took about a year for me to completely kick the habit of not wanting to light up. That was many years ago and I never crave or wish to smoke again. I still have asthma attacks, but at least I breathe easier on a day to day basis without all that smoke in my lungs to complicate my condition.
@LittleMel (14055)
you are a committed person and that's enough to make your way to better health. most people I know needs patches etc so commitment alone is not enough for them, thats why I am glad my husband found this plan that suits him.
@williamjisir (22903)
Hello dear LittleMel. I am glad to know that your husband is improving a lot from finding a better way to fight his nicotine addiction, which is good to him and to you as well for enjoying a better health. Well, I think that the only thing that I am addicted to is to stay and sit too long at the computer when I have free time. Maybe this is no good to my health because sitting too long at the computer is no good at all. Ok, I think that I need to stand up and move a little bit for exercise. lol. Take care, my dear friend.
@LittleMel (14055)
I have heard about radiation and sight problems for those using computer too long. My eyes are sore every time I spend over 8 hrs using it, and we do use flat screen and something else attached to the monitor. If you use it at work you should take 10 mins off it every 2 hours or something I read this online a few years ago
@busta1 (1029)
im not addicted to anything that is bad for my health but i just do it sometimes though just not all the time..
@LittleMel (14055)
too much of anything is not good this is generally true
@Esoteric1 (866)
I am also addicted to smoking, I have tried several times to quit none successful. I've tried patches, gums, and a few other things. The best I ever did was going four months cold turkey, it was not easy but it was the most effective out of the things I tried. It was ultimately a family crisis that got me to pick up smoking again,. Cold turkey has not worked this time so I am still damaging my health smoking. I hope your husband is more successful than I was.
@LittleMel (14055)
the crisis alone can damage your health let alone smoking on top of it. I hope you will find a solution to both