Two Days and Almost a Couple of Dozen Cases!?

@theprogamer (10543)
While I'd want to start the free-for-all I had to post this discussion about a recent problem other members have been getting. Some members are getting downrated because of their opinions or because a small group has nothing but star vandalism on the brain. To experienced members, this is nothing new, and no concrete answers are provided. Other members have been seeing downratings too, and from the looks of it, "just because". There are also other members that have gone around helping fellow members with problems (computers, life, cooking, chores, etc)... and some of them have also seen star rating problems. Long story short, something is going on and it cannot be ignored. No one can claim the star sham isn't broken. No one can claim the star sham "reflects 'quality'" No one can claim the star sham can't be abused Other claims Its a giant popularity contest. You make the most "rate-able" posts you'll get more ratings. You post short things and nonsense you'll get more ratings. Anything to add, just add it.
@carmelanirel (21108)
Wow, I didn't realize mine went down until I checked it..It went from 94/100 to 89/100..Oh well, I always have thought these star ratings were childish in the first place..
Ratings go up and down like a yoyo on here and I feel that too much importance is placed on them. Just lately there have been a lot of cases where people have had discussions deleted, ratings have dropped and people are getting wound up. For what it's worth I think I have only even negative rated a handful since I joined here over a year ago.
@anniepa (27124)
I really feel bad for the newer members who may not be aware these silly games go on here and take it personal or, even worse, may think we're all like that! Please, newcomers, don't take it to heart, it's just some infantile trolls who think they're really hurting us. I'm now looking at it this way - the time these trolls spend going through all of someone's posts to negate them, no matter what their reason is for doing so, is wasting time they could be using to increase their own points and earnings. I'm not here for the money, not by a long shot, but what are these trolls here for? To "hurt" someone they don't even actually know by knocking their star rating down? Give me a freakin' break! Annie
@theprogamer (10543)
Flawless. I'm rendered speechless too Annie. I should have extended more of a hand to new members in this discussion (and older ones). Low Star Rating is a venting area though designed for the issue we know all too well. I do see how the low stars can discourage newer members. Other members with lower stars aren't trusted as much by newer members (been there plenty of times...)
@zed_k4 (17633)
Nice said, anniepa!!
This is interesting, I'm fairly new to myLot, so I guess I probably don't take the star rating system as seriously as some people. When my shiny star first appeared at 100 posts, I was a lowly green 5, since then its gone up then down then up then down - well, you get the idea. Its not just the trolls that do this, mine went down drastically after a post where I told someone that post are going to be deleted every once in a while and not to sweat it - there were bigger things to worry about. The way I figure - I'm here to meet people, learn new things, participate in discussions, etc. Getting paid is a nice bonus, but I'd be here anyway. If my star drops to 2 or 1 (or can it even drop to 0???), I'll still be here - just like in the real world, you can't please everyone and I'm not going to waste my time trying - LOL. I've met some great people - laughed my butt off at a few stories, been forced to think about some issues, and just plain had fun.
@theprogamer (10543)
The star can drop to 0. Once it hits 5/100 or lower... the star simply vanishes. Two members have gone through this as far as I've seen. And you are right its the people and the experience that does keep me around.
@jennybianca (12918)
What do you mean: " something is going on and it cannot be ignored"? Do you mean this star rating thing (ie reducing) is deliberate? That there is a "gang" out there trying to maliciously downgrade people? I dont care much about the star business. I often dont look at someones rating. Some people take it very seriously though.
@theprogamer (10543)
That it could be what you described and what people initially think... but there could also be another source (think higher), that could be causing it. A few people did mention it much earlier... back at the "piglet" event.
First I have to say that I have been here on mylot for awhile now and I have never cared much about what my star rating was. I do know that many people on here take their ratings seriously and it is very sad that people can go around and rate someone negative just because they feel like rating that way that day. I don't know for sure what makes the star rating go down but do feel that if it is because others get to rate our discussions there should be a way to monitor those that are rating negative more than just once or twice. Most discussions on mylot would not deserve a negative rating so if someone were rating that way real often I would have to look into them or have them suspended.
@theprogamer (10543)
Good thoughts here too. While I've been through the ringer 3 times, I still keep going (despite my time to time hammering of the star-sham). The only other thing that bothers me personally about the stars is that its still not admitted the system is broken. Not quitting though as there's plenty to stay for.
• Marion, Kansas
I have gotten repetitive this evening. I have a new mantra. I am saying it often and loudly. All of my friends are blue star friends. I cannot fix the problem, but I refuse to be hurt by it.
@theprogamer (10543)
I've been seeing it, but I felt like speaking out a bit here Garden. Plus I've been through the star sham cycle three times now. I'm on a fourth ascension but good grief its a slow grind. I think I'll continue my "Best of" discussions (like I did for cooking) as one method of showing others how star rating doesn't equal quality.
@skinnychick (6937)
You just about summed it all up! :)
@zed_k4 (17633)
This is a good discussion, really. I really feel that I'm being involved in this all too. And being a newbie, I'm definitely not going to give up and will join you guys to have fun and more fun here, regardless of the ratings. I have been affected too, from a 7 right up to a 9, then 10 and now 9 again. But I went to a 9 right after I answered a discussion on supporting our friends and giving them moral support. In short, I answered a discussion on star ratings and then I'm a 9. Blimey! But it simply amuses me as to what goes on and all that. I'm enjoying myself anyway. Thanks for this discussion. All is good and well...
@theprogamer (10543)
It's more rapid at less response numbers because there is not as much to rate negative. It can get better at higher response/post numbers... but even a couple of those members had a star thrashing in the past few days. I don't know if repeating a star rise makes the next star drop harder to do... if so, that would explain why its not really effecting me (been through it 3 times... and the rise itself is incredibly slow..) At least the place is worth coming to.
@zed_k4 (17633)
I think your theory is supported. I have been a red since forever too.
I've given up caring. I know the system is broken but no one is going to do anything to fix it. I've started searching out users with pink, white, green and stars of those like colors and responding more to their posts then any other. They are usually the ones who aren't afraid to say what is on their mind. I'm proud to be one of them.
@theprogamer (10543)
Classic 5... its been awhile. Next is Purple 4... that one takes me back. Not had anything lower, but anything is possible. At least I've got plenty of other things worth being on mylot for. I'm talking to two {-of many ;)-}
@Breath (1298)
I don't knwo what happened to me...One day I am a 110 the next day I log on I ma down to a 7 this happened almost a week ago.I thought it was just a glitch and would clear up.I am still happy with mylot and I ma not going to leave just because I am a 7 instead of a 10 but it bothers me if people did this on purpose...Thanks for letting me in on this stuff going on...
@theprogamer (10543)
Part of Low Star Rating is to rally around. There is some information (and even a couple of deleted discussions), but it can also be used for satire... which I'll have to do soon enough. At least we can have fun with this event.
If the star ratings are computed on a percentage basis. We are led to believe this is achieved by fellow myLotter rating discussions and responses then from a person with 5,000 points and a 7 star they would have to lose 10% to drop to a 6 star. This would take 500 negative ratings!!! I do not believe even a dedicated troll would invest so much time to do that. PLUS surely this would send of an alarm to myLot admin(???) and they would put a stop to it. These facts are what makes me agree with you that there is something higher (you mentioned this in a previous discussion) at work here on the fluctuating star scores. BTW what is or was the "piglet" event?
@theprogamer (10543)
It refers to the first mylot source discussion from Crash(hence "piglet"). A few people rose eyebrows at the "responses" to star discussion (and some lack thereof) including me, in time.
I started with a ten and was there for quite some time then got involved with anti smoking ane someone minused me to nine then ten then nine andback to ten but in the last two days someone seemns to really hate me so i have been downrated to 8 then to a 7. i feel hurt and humilated and frustrated but I will be darned if you whoever you are are going to make me quit.
@theprogamer (10543)
Now that's interesting Hatley. There was another discussion claiming its much harder to negative someone with thousands of responses. Your case proves anyone can be hit... Don't quit and don't let it bum you too much (if it did me, I'd not be talking).
I'm pretty much a newbie here, but I love it! I have found new friends, and have made a few cents. I find people fasinating, and MyLot just feeds my curiousity...lols I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon.
@theprogamer (10543)
That is nice to read. Hope you stay for a long time Queenrainbow.