Tonight, I'm the Recipe Flop Queen!!!

I'm addicted to AllRecipes.com! I love cooking, have been doing it a long time and that site has so many great recipes that are reviewed by people who made them. Alot of times there are helpful hints for the recipe that people add. Generally, I stick to recipes that appeal to me and that have great reviews. The thing is, even with great reviews, there are times that you wished you would have passed it by. Tonight, I made Shrimp Cakes and a Cheesy Potato Casserole. I was in the mood for some comfort food and I thought these 2 things sounded good. That is, until I made them exactly as the recipe stated, other than adding a few extra spices, I couldn't believe that people actually liked either of these dishes. They were beyond horrible, they were bland and not worth the hour or so I spent in the kitchen to make them. I was really disappointed because I had such high expectations for these. Now I just sit here hungry! :( To make this a discussion, have you ever had such high expectations for a dish and then when you made it were really disappointed? Did you try to make the dish again and modify it so it would taste better or do you just never make it again? Come on, we all have flopped a dish or two, share your stories!! Thanks for reading!
@lilybug (21148)
I am sorry that your dishes did not turn out well. The Cheesy Potato Casserole one sounds good. If I make something and it does not turn out well I will sometimes try to figure out what it was missing. Other times if it was REALLY bad I will say forget it and never try it again.
I had really really high hopes for the potato dish. I make a mean tater tot casserole but I wanted something different. This one was just bland and I can't figure it out. I think though I will try to give it another go on that one. The shrimp cakes not again, at least not that recipe! :) Thanks for coming by!
@bellaofchaos (11549)
I find it's extremely hard to find a decent sugar cookie recipe that is firm but soft and will let you cut it out. LOL!! so I have issues with sugar cookies. Sorry about your shrimp dish.
A month later and I still think about that darn shrimp dish. LOL...Sigh!
don't worry Iwould think about it to every so often. LOL!!
@ajithlal (14569)
I would sugest you try to continue to make different dishes. I am not very good at cooking, but I love cooking as well as eating goodies. I think it is always nice to make different dishes and taste them. I think you will be able to make good dishes in the future.
Thanks for the response hun. I'm good at the ones I do often. But those that are new somehow always come out wrong in one way or another. LOL
I spent countless hours on a dozen recipe sites looking for the perfect soft and chewy oatmeal raisin cookie recipe. I read page after page of reviews and finally narrowed it down to 2 different recipes to try. I made the first one and they came out of the oven perfectly! All golden and chewy and just delectable. Leaving them sit on the cooling rack for 15 minutes turned them into raisin filled weapons of mass destruction! Hockey pucks would have been more appetizing. So I threw them out and started on recipe too. Upon mixing it all up I ended up with a dough the consistency of instant oatmeal after it was already prepared. I added more flour. I added more spices. I boiled the raisins and added some of the water from that and left it sit in the fridge for 45 minutes. Perfection! The whole house smelled of cinnamon and cloves while the cookies baked and they could be left out in the open air for 3 days without losing their soft chewiness. I am now called the cookie queen for my amazing oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies.
You know that is a good cookie when you boil the raisins! Toss some my way my dear! Will ya? I could use a batch or 2 or 3... Thanks for the response as always! Hope you had a GREAT week-end!!
I did found a recipe , Chicken Adobo online, i thought it'll taste as good as it sounds but kind of disappointing as i followed all the ingredients and methods closely. It turned out to taste kinda ugly. Not sure where the mistake was, but i really did follow the recipes closely. So i guess, you'll just have to keep trying and also find backup recipes of the same dish. Some might left out one or two ingredients. :)
That's what I'm thinking. Back up recipes are always good! :) LOL @ ugly recipe! I like that! Thanks for the response.
@lucy02 (5017)
I use Allrecipes.com alot when I'm looking up a recipe. I have spotted some recipes online (don't think they were on this site)that had left out some vital ingredients and sometimes they leave out the amount. I have made a few dishes that I was not happy with. One thing I've found out is that my husband doesn't like me to mess with his meatloaf too much and try anything fancy.
Meatloaf is one of those standard recipes that you had better not change once you get your recipe set and start serving that. In the past I had gotten that warning. I don't do anything to fancy either. I don't have those ingredients most of the time and I hate making shopping trips for 1 meal. I use whatever I have in the cupboards at the time.
@bluemars (952)
My mother is great cook and she has some really nice recipes which I still to need to get off her, but there is one thing that sometimes flops with her. Her recipe for this special garlic sauce. It is so delicate because uses the food processor to make it but if not done well it just turns out really runny but it should be like cream and smooth and consistent. Sometimes I attempt it but I sometimes get really scared because I hate to waste food. I know my mother hates to start again but there are times when she does start again because she loves it with chicken as side thing that people can dip their chicken in or use instead of mayo on their sandwiches.
Hey at least she doesn't give up. Sounds like a very good sauce though for a garlic lover like me. Thanks for sharing your story!