Are you who you say you are? Mylot profiles, and other public sites.

I was thinking about this the other day. These social sites, such as mylot, yuwie, facebook, do you think people make their profile for who they really are. For example looking at my profile you would assume I am a woman, right? How do you know I really am not a man, or a young person. Does it really matter when you speak to someone, if they are who or what they say they are? I am by the way who I say I am, I dont have the attention span to be anyone or anything else lol.
@ellie333 (21020)
Hi I am who I say I am and that is a pic of me with my eldest daughter in my avatar. I am open and honest in my discussions and believe the majority of the people on this site are too. As with anywhere I am sure there is the odd pretender but that doesn't bother me. I just enjoy being here and havinf fun. Ellie :D
I dont like to put pics of myself on the internet. I dont know why, maybe it is a weird phobia or something. I dont look like quasi moto or anything, I just dont like my personal self on the net for the whole world to see. But that is the topic that made me think of this discussion to begin with. Does someone have to post a pic of themselves, to be credible. I dont think so.
@ellie333 (21020)
No I don't think you have to post a personal pic to be credible at all but the reason I have is that the only pics I have that I could upload is of my family so I chose this one as I am not too clever with computers. I like your avatar and if you look at the top posters they don't have pics of themselves, just my choice. I am usually a fairly private person but for some reason didn't feel the need to be on this site unlike on some others. Ellie :D
@ozzeth (942)
what i spoken or speak is me! ozzeth is not my real name and its not even my nick name but i speak within inside of me..nothing change..and i am a woman..a real woman.
thank you
@dragon54u (31653)
I am honestly who I am both on the net and in real life. I like dragons, hence my name, but sometimes people mistake me for a guy because the dragon is androgynous. But I don't readily divulge my name or any other personal information. There are people who've known me for ten years who don't know my real name. I read that employers are googling people to find out what they're up to. I have nothing to fear!
LOL me neither, the facility I currently work in is so in the stone ages, I dont think they even know what a computer is.
@whittby (3073)
I think from having discussions, we get a sense of the person behind the avatar, or at least what wants to be noticed or heard. Maybe we aren't all that we really are in our outside lives when we're here on myLot. Maybe we try to be a little smarter, funnier, most serious, less anxious, friendlier, etc. than we could be in person. That's not a bad thing, it's kind of a blessing to be able to have that for the time we spend on here.
Good observation. I guess you could be a super hero if you wanted to on here. I guess that is one of the things people like about the internet.
@cream97 (29166)
I know I am who I say I am. The flower of my avatar just represents my love of who I am. The things that I say are true. There are sickos whom just abuse the discussions by lying and telling false details. I myself am strictly excluded from this category. What you see is what you get!
That is what it was, that made me think of it. On my Yuwie page, someone demaned I post a pic of myself, or they would remove themselves from my friends list. I explained that I choose not to put pics of myself on the internet for reasons that are personal to me. I am not sure what his intentions were, but he was very upset that I wouldnt oblige him.
@gemini_rose (16193)
I do not see the point of pretending to be someone else and not being your true self. I know that a lot of people do it and I can never understand why. I sometimes think that I am probably too honest and apart from bank details and passwords will tell anyone anything they want to know about me!! (within reason of course) but I am open, honest and friendly so I would not doubt anyone if they said they were a woman or man whatever, because I just expect everyone to be like me!!
Me too. I am not sure what made me think of it to begin with, but it must have been something or someone that peaked my curiosity. I have been thinking about it for a few days now.
@kezabelle (2985)
Nope im me I just about have time to be me let alone try and fake myself to be someone else, gosh who has the energy for that! It doesnt really bother me if they are being honest or not im not going to meet any of them and if lieing about themselves makes them feel better then well maybe they are only to be pitied!
I dont even know I if I would know they were telling the truth or not. I dont think it bothers me either, except that I dont understand being deceptive. Anonymity is one of the great things about the web, so why be deceiptful too?
I am who I say I am. However, that being said, I don't reveal all of who I am unless it is a private site, which I belong to a couple of private message boards. I think there is too much craziness out in the world to reveal all of yourself unless it is a private environment. I'll share pics of my family and friends and that kind of thing, but I won't tell you exactly where I live, I might tell you the city and state, or I might list it in some weird kind of code. You might know my first name, even the first names of my kids, but not our last names. In this day and age of world wide everything, revealing some of yourself is neccessary if you want to be trusted, if you want to honestly make new friends, however there is a line that should be respected too so that you can also protect your family.
Excellent, and exactly my point. Thank you
@longbangod (1791)
I am who am, lol. I got a lot of websites/pages and I used to present myself, my true self to all of my friends there. I used to post my pics as well as pics of my family. I find it good, because it gaves me the chance to meet wonderful people over the net from all over the world whom are now my best friends.
That is the part that is uncomfortable to me. Putting pics of my family or self on the internet. They say once they are there, they are there forever. I dont know I just find that a bit creepy.
I think I'm pretty much as I appear here on Mylot. I am a very chatty person and I have one other member that can vouch for that. So, a site like this is good for me because I like to write like I like to chat. For a site like this, it really doesn't matter who the person says they are, all I care about is a good topic and discussion. I know I won't meet about 99.9% of the people on this site, anyway, so it doesn't really matter who they say they are.
That is true, also, how many people do you expect to every really meet on these types of sites, probably none.
I am who I say I am! If I wasn't, then why would I say I am? (Sorry, didn't mean to lapse into the Eminem lyrics lol) I figure for the most part people do make their profiles to fit themselves, but there are a few who lie on their profiles, for whatever reason that maybe. On social sites like this, I really don't care if they are who they say they are or not. The only thing I am concerned with is opinions, reading theirs, conveying mine. If you want to be incognito on the internet, then that is your perogative. I am not trying to meet anyone here, and I am not trying to buy anything from you. These are the things that would make me concerned with who a person really is, but outside of that, it really doesn't matter to me.
Good points, thank you
@vijigopi (991)
First, I am not that smart to pretend to be someone that I really am not. I am very bad at lying so, I will usually be cornered very soon if I happen to do something like that. Since I am that way, I usually presume that everybody else is the same except that I am not very comfortable giving away some info like my birthdate or something very personal where there is a likelihood of identity theft. I really don't mind what other people's ages are.. mostly their maturity of replying is the one that matters the most to me.
@chrissieatu (1033)
I am always what I say I am. That's one of my principle of life. I think it will be better if I am true to everyone. The profiles actually do not bother me that much. I prefer to make a conclusion about somebody base on their action. That's more real to me. Your post just remind me of another question my friend mentioned before. Do you think that if somebody's put up his/her own photo on the profile, that somebody is more credible?
I am who I say I am . I don't think it is moral to deceive others. Intention may not be to deceive but I think it is a kind of deception cos the others are mislead. Moreover I don't think it good to lie even for small reason...just as posting profile.
I am who I am . Be it the truth, accept me for the person I am and not for the person, I do not pretend to be. This is not Brad Paisley's song "Online"
@pkraj111 (2459)
Yes I am the one who I say I am.Though I came across many people who act I dont like it really
@subha12 (18453)
ys, i am what i am telling at my profile. I never tell a lie, even on online profiles. i am this person only.i have known many people have described them wrongly in thes e profiles. i am not like that.
@anaknitatay (1335)
Well, I think it is important to be honest about who we are. This does not mean who have to really say your name etc. but when you say you are a male nurse you better be one. Things like this though they don't seem a big deal will help make the internet a safe and less stressful environment. By the way, that's really me on the Avatar. I'm the new Karas.
@twoey68 (13651)
I am who I say I am...I don't have the time or the energy to try to be someone else although I have known someone who went online and became an entirely different person. She "became" so well that she fooled an ex-husband after 17 years of marriage. With her though I believe she had split personality problems. To me it would matter if someone made up who they were b/c I'd feel deceived and betrayed. I expect that if I'm who I say I am then others should be as well...at least when their talking to me. I realize that isn't always the case and ppl can be whoever they want on the Internet that's why it's important to be careful when meeting online ppl in real life or trusting them with information. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
I think it is not very important , person just discuss here , do not care who he/she is in fact !