Defeating or Winning?

@deeeky (3669)
Edinburgh, Scotland
A few years ago, during the Para-Olympics help in Seattle, nine participants, all mentally retarded or physically challenged, had aligned themselves for the 100 meter hurdles. Although at the given signal they didn't start exactly at that moment, nor orderly, they were determined to finish the race and thus win. All they had to do in order to win the race was to finish it. All managed to finish it, except for a young athlete that fell over the runway passage of the first hedge. Because of the pain and of the sorrow, he began to cry. The others hearing his cry came back for him. They slowed down and eventually they stopped. In that day an unprecedented situation occurred, eight out of the nine athletes returned in order to help the ninth athlete, which was in need of assistance. A girl with the down syndrome came up to the wounded to give him a kiss and to encourage him: "Do not worry, the pain will go away." Although that day the world record was not beaten from any point of view, but the race was finished by all nice athletes which past the finish line together, holding each other with their arms. The whole stadium stood up and cheered them for several minutes. They were even more enthusiastic in the presence of such a wonderful gesture then when a record was beaten. Why was this possible? Because we all know well, that basically, the most important thing in this life is not so much winning by yourself, but helping others to win as well, even if you have to slow down and maybe turn back to help others. ----------------------------------------------- "Getting together is a beginning; staying together is a step forward; working together is a success." Henry Ford
@Darkwing (21588)
Compassion and teamwork are great tools for uniting people, and succeeding in life. If you can help a few people on your way, and rely on a few yourself through life, then success is all that much more simple to achieve. Brightest Blessings my dear friend and thank you for sharing this story. x
@deeeky (3669)
• Edinburgh, Scotland
Being able to help people through thier lives is an asset that you have in an abundance of my friend.
@Darkwing (21588)
Awwwwwwww, thank you so much for your special words, my dear friend. I will treasure them, and I'm only too pleased to help as many people as I can. xx
@deeeky (3669)
• Edinburgh, Scotland
Your first part of your response was disturbing as I thought you were sticking up for response number two, but you carried on which releaved me somewhat. Thanks for carrying it further and blessings to you too.
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
@deeeky (3669)
• Edinburgh, Scotland
My discussion must have really touched your heart strings and left you speechless!
@Darkwing (21588)
I agree... and a apt screen name if I might say so, toboot!
That is a beautiful story! I think those who do not face a physical or mental disability tend to move a bit too fast. As someone who has recently begun developing a physical disability (and strangely, I used to run the high hurdles in school too!), I've started to slow down a bit and enjoy life. For me, something that took me a few minutes now might take me an hour and tire me out! It makes one think. And great quote!
@deeeky (3669)
• Edinburgh, Scotland
If we are a team then we can only go as fast as the slowest person in the team so that we can all finish together. The team will consist of various talents that need and depend on each other, so leaving one or two behind will only slow the work down untill all the team eventually comes together to complete the task in hand. Glad you are coping with life now and have a great day from Deeeky