Do you pay attention to electricity?

@whywiki (6070)
I seem to take it for granted and often find myself abusing it. I leave lights on in my wake. Hubby is forever shutting them off and scolding me. I know the world is having an energy crisis yet I just take it for granted that I hit a light switch and have light. Are you energy observant or a waster like me?
@flowerchilde (12547)
I always turn things off, but am still a bit of a waster, burning too many lamps, when we could be using a little less...
@whywiki (6070)
I sit there watching tv sometimes and all the lights are on and really no reason for it, I just don't pay attention, I bet after this discussion I may pay more attention.
Me too!
@Breath (1297)
I am trying to do better.soemtimes though through the day I do flip the switch without even thinking.My husband fusses at me because of teh electric bill and teh worry of saving energy is also never far from mind.Last few months though I have been doing better...
@whywiki (6070)
I think it is just a matter of remembering to do it every time until it gets to be habit for us. I am good at picking up habits already. Too bad most are bad habits.
I am an energy observant. It becomes a habit that everytime I see a light on at daytime or havent been use I immediately switch it off. My father taught us to conserve electricity since its quite expensive in our country. He scolded the last person who left the room or used the toilet and did not switch off the light.
@whywiki (6070)
It is a matter of making it a habit to turn off the lights when you leave a room I think. A habit I should pick up. I also have a bad habit of taking something from the fridge and leaving the fridge open until I have finished using it. I should break that habit...
@minnie_98214 (10573)
I was like you a waster but my hubby nagged enough that now I turn them off most of the time. I try to conserve more to save money on the bill its getting crazy.
@whywiki (6070)
It is getting crazy. I remember 20 years ago when electricity and water were dirt cheap. It isn't so anymore. My hubby nags me too, maybe one day it will sink in for me too.
@whittby (3073)
I'm the one running around turning off all the lights after you. I don't scold anymore though. I just turn them off when I see them. I did turn the bedroom light off the other day though and when my husband came out of the bathroom, he couldn't see a thing. Hey, I didn't know he was in there. I turn off my electric dryer as soon as the clothes are dry, load up the dishwasher to the max, you get the idea. I still don't think my electric bill is down as far as it could be, but I'm doing the best.
@whywiki (6070)
At least I turn the dryer off when things are dry, that is one point for me! I get impatient waiting for the clothes to dry and that is why though not because I am thinking of the power I'm wasting. I really should try and pay more attention though. If more of us thought about it like you the power that we could save could help countries that need our help with power.
These are what I use in my home - They have lowered my bills very much
we have come to be energy savers by habit here. I have always told my daughter to shut off the lights. I am not sleeping with the energy company. I am happy to have changed my light bulbs. Now I can have a light on and not stress it. I don't leave them on if not in use though.
@whywiki (6070)
That saying reminds me of my friends dad. She would leave the front door open too long and he would always yell out "close the door I'm not heating the whole city!"
@queenofarms (1665)
I do pay attention to the electricity. The electric bill is high enough for the energy I have to use. I always have to tell the kids to turn things off:like stereo,bedroom light,bathroom light,game systems etc....When not in the same room. They like to just turn things on and go outside. It makes me so mad. I'm constantly asking them if they are paying the bill for the month.
@whywiki (6070)
I am a lot like your kids in this respect. Hubby is always turning things off behind me and can't understand why I am so thick about it!
@jashley1 (746)
Hello, I try to be as efficient as possible - especially since we have to pay the bills! In the daytime I try to have all lights off, and we do conserve water whenever we can and try to be mindful of all that. I think it's not only good for the economy, but also just for your household and your children. It does take time though to get yourself into the habit of not wasting. Just try harder - I'm sure you will be super efficient in no time!
@chrislotz (8203)
I think I am more of a waster like you. I tend to leave the lights on a lot and don't think nothing of it. I should get better at it since we do have a problem in this world with it, but I just don't think about it. You could probably walk into my house at any time of day and there will be at least one light on. I live in a basememt suite so it is dark most of the time so I need a light on. But I guess I don't need them on when there is no one home, it is just out of laziness that there are lights on, most of the time. I just don't remember to turn them off.