That privacy act, what do you think.

@gangus2 (373)
I recently had a friend I knew that passed away from breast cancer. She had been fighting it for some time. Tumors had invaded her brain which she took evasive action on and everyone was told she was doing good (thats what she told us). She finally was hospitalized and then sent to a nursing home for 24 hour care, that week she passed away. Here's the problem with the privacy act. No one and I mean no one, knew how bad off she was. Her husband, children and other family members were not only trying to make funeral arrangements, they were all trying to figure out why they were not told. This family was finally told by the nursing staff, after her death. She was given 6 weeks to live when she applied for care there. The tumors had not only started growing again, they were multiplying, and there was no more the Doctor's could do. The Doctor's and the nursing home knew, but could not tell the family. I once told myself that if I ever got cancer, I would not tell my family because I do not want them to spend what time we have feeling sorry for me. After seeing what they went through and watching their hearts break because she did not want them to know, I have since changed my mind. What would you do, tell or not tell. Karen
@pyewacket (43962)
I'm totally against the hipaa laws..it was because of them my mother didn't get the proper care she deserved as she never agreed to sign a proxy that would have allowed me to tell her doctors, therapist and social worker until the last few months of her life...then it was too little too late..the best way you can understand my feelings about this is to read an article I wrote and is published at MedHunters....it explains a LOT http://www.medhunters.com/articles/doesHipaaHelp.html
@gangus2 (373)
Thank you for responding, after seeing what this family went through, I think that the hippa law needs some changing. Thanks, again Karen
@kezabelle (2985)
Maybe she was trying to spare them the pain for just a few weeks longer it was in my opinion very brave of her to go through knowing she would die alone not being able to break her own heart over the fact she would be leaving her family she must have struggled with herself a lot to make the choice not to tell them so I suppose its not our place to judge wether she should have told them or not im sure she did what she thought was for the best. If it was me though I think I would want my family to know as I would need their support but at the same time I think telling them I was dying would be the hardest thing I would ever have to do and not something im sure id be strong enough to be able to do. The privacy act is a good thing as even during our last moments we all are entitled to make our own choices as we would if we were well
@gangus2 (373)
Thank your for responding. I once felt that I would not tell my family, but after watching this family I realized that it would be unfair to those that love me. Thanks, again Karen