When you draw people and/or characters...

@ratyz5 (7829)
Let's say you have finished doing the guide lines for your drawings, you have done tracing the anatomy.. in case you do draw guide lines first.. After that, what do you usually initially draw in detail? When I'm done drawing my guide lines, I often start detailing with the eyes. The nose would follow after that. Then the mouth along with the jaw as it runs up to the ears and then go detailing the hair. That's what I usually do when I start with the head. I guess I draw from top to bottom.. How about you guys? Where do you usually start when you draw people or characters?
@secretbear (19466)
hmmm.. i don't draw anymore because i don't have lots of free time for it. but before, i used to draw a lot of anime characters. i started drawing with Sailormoon and a lot of other anime characters followed. i was bad at first but with lots of practice, i think i got better with it. i was able to sell coloring books too. anyway, when i draw, i always start with the eyes. i don't make guidelines. and i draw very simple drawings. very two-dimensional. i draw the outline and then color it. that's it. i never learned drawing with charcoal or anything as complicated as that. ^__^;; my drawing was elementary. anyway, i start with the eyes using pencil. and then the nose and mouth follows, and then the shape of the face and then the hair. and then i draw the body last. after that, i would trace the pencil outline with a black sign pen. and then i would erase the pencil and then color it. by coloring i use crayons, oil pastels, and coloring pens. oh, and i can't draw without something to copy. i use to copy pictures in text cards. so basically, what i do is enlarge the picture. ^__^;;
@ratyz5 (7829)
Wow, you got to sell a lot of coloring books with enlarged illustrations you made with reference with text cards (I'm assuming that there are those trading card games, though actually being "gambled" since there are bets and all that..) I also do what you enumerated in process... though I don't end up coloring most of my work with actual coloring materials. I just lately got introduced with Photoshop and I have a illustrations colored - flats and shades.. couldn't go ahead with highlights... I often squint at those cards..
@secretbear (19466)
not the trading cards game. those little text cards that children play with. y'know, the "teks" game. ^__^;; i used to make my niece buy some for me because its really embarrassing for me to buy them myself.
@ratyz5 (7829)
That's why I mentioned that I always "squint" at those cards. They should be a trading card game but, they are a child's way of gambling, bets of cards being stacked while the count of each bet would need two cards for one count and a single card would count as a "cha" or something that sounds similar. I could also remember the local text cards that we use to have. Those that have scene by scene illustration of local movies on them. Collecting a particular set would yield one as similar as watching that particular film..
@ozzeth (942)
I start from the head to the bottom. I guess thats the standard way in drawing..It's more easy for me and its more comfortable.
@ratyz5 (7829)
Yeah, I kind'a go along with that way of drawing as well.. Head and downwards Thank you for responding!