I am looking for answers to NY's chid's support question...

If a parent wants to file for child support. The child is 17 years old and will turn 18 the coming May. Will there be any issues being he dropped out of school a year ago? Thanks very much I am trying to call the court house in New Rochelle Ny. I have a feeling I will get the answer faster here. Thanks very much for the help.. Best response will be given to close this discussion.
@sedel1027 (17855)
Oooh this is one I know LOL My FIL tried this about 2 years ago. Child support in NY goes up to 21. However, if the child drops out of school or does not attend school full time, then support does not have to be paid.
I called and your right they don't have to pay support. The sad part is he lives around the corner from his father. Who has never taken care for. But he dropped out and that can't be changed. Thanks very much Sedel
@sedel1027 (17855)
If he goes back to school full time right now, they can file for support. If there is any back money owed, they can file for before he dropped out of school.
@KKKBsmom (1093)
isn't the legal age 18? you would only get the child support thil they turned 18 correct??? unless they were in school! unless they owe back child support... then I would fight it all the way!
yes, there will be issues. the noncustodial parent will be like, why should i pay, the kid isn't in school, the custodial parent obviously doesn't care and hasn't made them go to day or night school for their ged. what is the kid doing all day, are they working. Depending on your states rules, or agreements made by the parents, cs is paid til the kid is 21 unless they are emancipated.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I'm not sure that a month worth of child support unless you can convince them to cover back child support too is worth it. Yes, a person can draw child support under 18 unless the child has been emancipated.
@chrislotz (8203)
Well I don't know what the laws are where you are from, but in Canada you would still receive child support payments till the child turns 18. Then if the child is in school full time you would receive it till he is 25 years old. But seeing your son has dropped out of school you would only receive the money till he is 18. You might want to encourage him to go back to school as it is hard enough getting a good job with a diploma, never mind without one. I know it is hard to make a child go to school, but I think you need to have some serious talks with him about it and not let it drop. This is just my opinion.
If NY child support law is anything like Ohio Law, the fact that he dropped out of school a year ago won't matter. What will matter is how long the absent parent has been gone. I don't think there is a law of statutes as far as how long this person waited to file for child support, but if there isn't, the absent parent will be responsible for arrearage payments from the time he/she became absent, until the time the child turns 18. My brother's father is still paying child support to my mother for him, and he is 20. This is because he didn't pay child support for him while he was a child, and now owes over $10,000 for him. He will be obligated to pay until the debt is taken care of, regardless of the fact that my brother is over the age of majority, or whether he stays in school or not.