What is your most over-used word?

@liquorice (3901)
I definitely over-use the word 'really', and looking back at some of my myLot posts, confirms this for me. I certainly like the word, and it's one that I tend to use a lot when I'm feeling enthusiastic or strongly about something. Sometimes when I read back things I've written I will edit out some of the 'really's, replacing them with 'very' or 'extremely' or something similar. Other times I just don't notice until it's too late.
Actually, it's not too late to change bad habits. I've always used the words 'basically' too much last time, I had actually used it 30 times in an eleven minute call before.. Yes.. wow.. That's a lot.. :) So, as the saying goes, the first step to acceptance was denial, I was in a class, and the trainer told me that my pet word is basically. So he said I should hold the word everytime it wants to come out of my mouth. I didn't believe him at first of course! That was until I was complaining about it and I told my other half about that. Thus he started noticing it, and one time, I was on the phone with him for about 11 minutes and he counted the number of times I've said the word 'basically'. and the count was 30.. Well,then I started noticing that it was a problem.. then everytime the word "basically" comes out from my mouth, I stop that from happening. I just say b.. and after a while... the bad habit just left me, and I don't really use the word "basically" anymore.. :) Try asking your friends about the frequent repetitive words you always use, then start noticing them, do one word at a time.. and you'll kick the habit soon enough!! Have a great day! Take Care!! Good luck!
@liquorice (3901)
Thanks for that answer quarvalsharess. I'm glad that I might be able to get out of my "really" habit. I thought that I had it sorted until I re-read something I'd written the other day and it had four "really"s in the space of two or three sentences! Does your advice about stopping the word also work for writing, as well as saying it out loud? I'll have to try to stop myself from typing it... I also used to use the word basically a lot, as well as using "like" as a filler when I was trying to formulate what I was going to say next. I think I've just gradually stopped using those, but it's difficult to break those habits. I'm glad you've managed to banish "basically" from your vocabulary, that's impressive! Thanks for passing on the advice! I hope you have a great day too!
You're welcome liquorice!! Yes, whenever you see yourself typing the word, erase it.. It also helps to say sorry, as though you did something wrong as well, it makes you feel like using that word is bad.. :) That's how I banished it.. I still do use "basically" at times, but not as a filler.. I wish you all the best in your banishing of the "really" pet name..
Hahaha! It is 'hahaha' and 'hehehe'! I cannot seem to write a sentence without one of those two 'words' in it!!
Hehehe, sometimes I use them both in the same sentence! Hahaha!
@jesssp (2742)
'Definitely' and 'ultimately' tend to be two of my favorites on here for some reason. I think there are probably one or two more that I over use in real life, but they are of the four letter variety...
@liquorice (3901)
Ooh, I use 'definitely' a lot too! It's such a good word for emphasising things. And 'ultimately' is also a nice word, I just like the sound of it! Hmm, those four letter words can be quite useful too Thanks for your reply!
@ruth16 (81)
'ok' or 'ohhk','omg','huh','idk','yeah' and 'err'..well i tend to use these words very often
@liquorice (3901)
Some good words there ruth, lol! (What does idk mean? Ah, think I've just got it; does it mean "I don't know"?) Do you actually say 'omg' and 'idk' out loud? Or do your mean you use them when you're writing? Err is a word I tend to use quite a lot as well, in fact several of them are feeling kind of familiar to me!
@bubblyapple (2655)
yeah/yup/yes really, however, but, then, just a lot, many, very, much, are, some again, over, and those, times those are just some of the words i over used at times
@liquorice (3901)
Thanks for the list bubblyapple! (And cool username, lol!) That's a lot of words to over-use, and I'm impressed that you're actually aware of over-using all of those.
@misshoney (973)
i think mine is wow and my god :-)
@liquorice (3901)
Hmm, yes, I am sometimes guilty of over-using those words as well! Wow is just such a good word for expressing shock, exasperation, surprise etc... There aren't many alternatives that sound so good! Thanks for your answer, and sorry it's taken me so long to reply to these responses!
@James72 (26829)
I have had a look over my responses on occassion and I do seem to use the word "ultimately" a lot for some reason! I also seem to use the word "actually" in many instances as well. Other than these two words as stand outs I haven't noticed any others.
@Gorzata (185)
• Poland
it's: 'perhaps' and all its variations but 'really' is really often used:)