A Vote Against a Party

@Myrrdin (3601)
The idea for this post came from a discussion on the importance of voting where one poster commented that they were considering voting Libertarian but thought it would be a wasted vote and would rather vote Republican in order to block the Democrats from getting in office. Voting against someone rather then for someone is a huge waste of time in my opinion. Not only do you throw support at someone you are admitting is not right for office you are taking votes away from someone you believe to be capable. In Canada vote blocking is a normal practice due to the nature of our system, however I have always felt it is a wasted practice that only ensures the continuance of the status quo, and the status quo is not good. Progress in politics can only be made when someone steps up and defies the odds, and this can only happen if the practice of voting for the most qualified person is used rather then voting against the party you despise. Sure I despise Prime Minister Stephen Harper and almost everything his Conservative Party supports, however I will not vote Liberal just to ensure that he does not get into power. I'd rather "throw my vote away" by voting for the candidate I believe it and send a message to parliament about what I believe in. Throwing your support behind a party you don't believe in does not tell the elected officials what you believe, but rather what you don't believe. I think the government would run smoother if we forgot about who the leader would be and concentrated more on which candidate we supported would be. What are your thoughts on vote blocking?
@gewcew23 (8011)
I use to be one of those that voted against a party. In 2000 and 2004 I voted for George W Bush just so Al Gore or John Kerry could not become President. I agreed with Bush on something but not much. I just did not want the two Democrats to win. Now the party has elected someone that I agree with less than Bush. The bigger issue is on some core issues I cannot find any difference between McCain and Obama/Clinton. Sure I know that there is a difference but not that great. I cannot vote for evil just because that evil is less evil than the other guys. That is why I have switched parties.
@CanadaGal (4304)
I have never voted against someone. I don't see the point in that. I would rather not vote under a certain category than vote for someone I really didn't want in office. Voting against someone is too closely related to the mindset of smear campaigns that various candidates run in the media. I despise those with a passion... and if anything, I will be more likely to NOT vote for someone if they run a smear campaign against an opponent, just because I think it's a cheap and sleazy tactic, and I wouldn't want that kind of person to represent me. I didn't vote in some sections in one of my most recent municipal elections. I didn't have enough information for all of the candidates, in many cases, I had zero information on some of the people running, and decided to not even vote in that category. I double checked with the volunteer staff that by doing that, it wouldn't spoil my vote for the categories I did want to vote in, and I was told it would not.
@Myrrdin (3601)
Yes in London Municipal Elections a non vote in one section does not spoil the entire ballot, actually every time I have voted in London municipal elections the volunteer has always stated that upon handing me the ballot. I also don't vote in every section of the municipal election, although in the case of London city councilors I'd almost support voting against someone since a vote for anyone other then those clowns currently in the positions is a good vote ;). I keep tossing around the idea of running in the municipal elections myself, but with the way the London city council works I couldn't do it because its not full time pay and I couldn't do my current job AND a city councilors job. Maybe one day when my publishing company takes off ;)... or maybe I'll skip straight to federal or provincial politics by making my Amoralist Party of Canada an official party LOL.
@CanadaGal (4304)
Well, WHEN you decide to run, at whatever level, I'll sign your petition and vote for you, no problem. I happen to know you share most of the same political beliefs and cores values as I do, so I would know without a doubt that I would be represented properly.
@Myrrdin (3601)
aww thanks, but that only works if I run federally or provincially since we are not in the same ward municipally. Hmmm maybe I really should make the Amoralist party an official party and start getting members. It could be fun LOL.