Researching Donations...

Our Furry Friends... - Our Furry Friends...
@twoey68 (13651)
I recently decided that I want to start donating a part of my MyLot earnings to an animal shelter but then I didn’t know which one. I get mailings now and then from the ASPCA and have thought of donating to them. So I called them this morning. First, I found out that they are a no-kill shelter, meaning that they keep the animals until they find them a home…their not put to sleep. Second, they only help cats and dogs. And third, they only help the cats and dogs in New York, where they are. Well, I love all animals but I’d rather help those a little closer to home. If I had a lot of money, I’d send some to all the no-kill shelters but I can only do so much. I Googled “no kill animal shelters in Missouri” and got 5 of them. I’ll look into them more and then decide. I’ve also decided that when my time here is done all of my things will be auctioned off (except the family heirlooms) and the money raised will go to the no-kill shelters in Missouri. It’s the best I can do for the little furry ones that have meant so much to me all my life. Do you support no-kill shelters? Do you donate to shelters? Do you take steps to make sure your pets don’t add to the over population of the animals (getting them fixed)? **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@LouRhi (1502)
I love the idea of donating to worthy causes and no kill shelters certainly are a worthy cause, however funds just do not allow it at this point in time! I live in a rather small place and we only have one animal shelter. I don't think they are no kill. Animal rights are not as big here as they are in the States. I don't actually believe in getting my animals fixed, I believe in responsible animal ownership
@KrauseHome (35341)
Interesting topic, and making sure they are the NO KILL shelters should be a strong importance no matter where we are. I wish more people would spay and neuter their pets to help Stop some of the pet population out there. We do not really need a lot more Cats and dogs out there without good homes do we? I have a neighbor who catches stray cats and then tries to find Good homes for them. Problem becomes when you own like 5-6 cats and are only in a one or two bedroom condo, and not wanting to get rid of any of the cats anymore, as you have grown so close to all of them. I should do some research here myself, as I know they have had to recently close a few shelters here in this area for pets due to lack of money.
@nova1945 (1614)
I thought the ASPCA worked all over the country. This one sounds like the North Shore Animal League, which I do donate to. Both of my cats are "fixed" and the dog is going to be neutered this summer. If you are not intentionally breeding them there is no sense in keeping them in tact. We certainly don't need to add any more critters to our shelters.
@Mirita (2668)
Yes, I believe in the no-kill shelters ,but is best that you donate your money close to home ,so you can check on them at least once every month. Is important to know where your money is going.
@jezzmay (1845)
Yes,I donate to animal shelters.I also donate to the ASPCA when I can.I have always believed in helping any way I can,that goes for animals and people as well.I donate for people too,when I can,their is a lot of needs out there,I give what I can believing some will get there need met.
@heidibur (310)
If you are going to donate money to a no-kill shelter in your area go there and tell them that you are thinking about donating and ask for a tour of the place. When I worked for a Humane Society we had to watch videos about some no-kill shelters and the ones that I saw, the dogs had dog houses and they were all on chains with just enough room between them that they couldnt touch each other and it made them aggressive so that they could never be adopted. the ASPCA is a great place.
I have already made my will leaving everything to my local shelter. Purposely excluding any family members.
@flowerchilde (12518)
I do get my pets fixed. I was shocked when I heard Peta puts tons and tons of animals to sleep! I much prefer the no kill shelters. If I left wealth to charity upon dying, I would leave it for helping abused, etc, children.
@pyewacket (44036)
I think that's a wonderful idea of yours to want to donate to animal no-kill shelters, especially ones close to you. I'm on tight funds otherwise I'd be donating all over the place like crazy as there are so many great humane animal organizations. One place I would love to donate to as they do so much good for animals, and not just cats and dogs, is Best Friends which is out in Utah. They have done so much good, especially taking in many animals from hoarder type situations, been responsible for taking in dogs from puppy mills all over the country and of course helped out during Katrina http://www.bestfriends.org/
@J_Dawgs (217)
Well selling all my things and leaving the money to a shelter i cant say i would do as I would probably end up doing the whole 'will' thing. even though i know the troubles they can cause i know parts of my family might like certain things (just me). The shelter part, doubt my mylot earnings would help one atm lol as since ive been a mylot member ive barely made 2 bucks lmao. I have animals of my own that I take care of though and we make sure they are fixed and stuff. I would 'support' no-kill shelters definitly over the kill shelters as I think it would be better to find them homes than just kill them off. My two cents. ~*~J_Dawgs~*~
@winterose (39918)
I am living well below the poverty line so I just do not have the money to donate, but I would if I could. I have always taken in stray people and stray cats into my house. Even as poor as I am. I do what I can, but I just cannot give money at this time.
@Lakota12 (42684)
My dogs stay in the back yard they havent been on the street for years altho they would probably like too and I dont donate to anything yet
@KKKBsmom (1093)
That sounds like a wonderful thing to do with your posessions when you pass... that is kinda what my husbands grandmother did... all hers went to our local shelter!
I take in strays as pets myself, so I am a no kill shelter .I always have made it a point to spay or neuter my pets. I do not want to have the heart break of having too many kitties.
@blackbriar (9080)
That's a great idea you have there, twoey. I'm sure at least some of the no-kill shelters in your area will take donations online thru paypal. I know the ones here do which is how I donate to them when I can. I also buy dog/cat food/treats/litter whenever I can afford to buy them on sale with coupons and give them to the shelters as well. All my furbabies are fixed now and any future ones as well.
@figjam00 (1450)
It is very good thinking. We should always contribute some part of our income toohers. Make sure trust you are paying is legitmate.
Yes, I support no-kill! Who are we o take away a healthy animal's life? I DO understand that it is expensive, but if they can keep going through our donations I support that. =]] I sometimes make donations... however, recently I haven't been able too Good luck & it's very good of you to help those in need! (: Happy Mylotting! xxx
@carmelanirel (20979)
I haven't had my Zoe fixed yet, but she will be and the sooner the better..Our neighbors daughters dog comes to visit and he boyfriend who is co-owner wants to breed him. So when they come to visit her parents, I definitely want my dog fixed.. I admire you for taking your earning for the animal shelter..I would but for now, I need it for family..Once I get a job and can support my family better, the animal shelter may be a good place to donate..
@olivemai (4738)
I do not donate very often because I do not have enough money! When I do, it may be more for humans than dogs and cats. I can understand why you want to and that is good. Usually when we get a dog, it has already been neutered!