Baby care can be very costly..

When I was looking at the carts in the store the other day. I saw a lot of parents buy tons of wipes,pampers,and more... I have read so many ways to get down and frugal with costs. baby wipes can be made with ease. Paper towels folded and place in the wipe bucket. Gentile baby soap and water make them easy to use. Wetting wash clothes with luke warm water can also save you money. I am not sure if I could ever use cloth diapers. But that would be one I would have to try. Please share your frugal tips on parenting. Thanks everyone.
@kezabelle (2985)
If you are against making your own wipes, supermarkets own brands are a lot lot cheaper but still just as good, same with their nappies too! I used cloth ones for a while easy peasy but expensive to buy in bulk so second hand if you can they are more absorbent the longer they are used so not only is second hand cheaper but also they work better!!! Most things for children are a needed object but there are ways if you buy second hand or cheaper versions to cut down the cost
I agree with you here. Thanks
@winterose (39931)
some people make their own baby food in a blender. It has been so long since I had a baby, I just don't know anymore. Of course saving your other children's clothes is one way of saving. knitting your own blankets and mittens and sweaters.
@sedel1027 (17868)
I see nothing wrong with cloth diapers. They are a much better choice than disposables. Next kid I have I am going cloth. I don't think I would forgo the wipes though. They work really well. Sometimes on a sore baby butt those are much better than a wash cloth. I would think paper towels would be much too rough on a babys bottom. I wouldn't use it on mine.
@DonnaLawson (4032)
The tip for making your own wipes, is just as good as putting paper towels in a baggie and spraying them with window cleaner, then when I am out and about I can use them for any kind of wiping up, when needed, although not on a baby.. I don't have a baby and don't have a need for any of the products that you mentioned, but I did have a baby and did do the cloth diapers.. It was probably just as expensive, with all of the bleach and hot water soaking.. But it was a bit better on the environment.. I also like to keep a wet wash cloth in a baggie in the car, in case I spill something on me..
@Sillychick (3282)
I never, ever buy diapers or wipes at the grocery store. I buy them at wholesale clubs for a much better price. I buy Luvs diapers- they are just as good as Pampers and a Lot cheaper. I buy generic wipes refills. They are just as good as any brand name ones, and much cheaper. I never bought baby snacks or juice. Regular cheerios in a reusable bowl are just as good as the 'baby' Cheerios in the single serve packs. Any 100% juice, watered down a little and poured into a cup is just as good as Gerber single serve juice bottles. Baby food, I made myself by boiling veggies and pureeing them in the food processor. Fruits- I just mashed bananas, used regular applesauce- it's the same thing. Once my son was old enough to eat more foods, I just chopped up whatever my husband and I were having and gave it to him, instead of spending $1 per meal. For clothes and toys, I shopped at consignment shops and accepted hand me downs that were offered. Babies outgrow things so fast they don't have time to ruin them. I skipped a lot of items that people lead new moms to believe are necessary- like a bouncy seat, walker or exersaucer, and bumbo seat for example. These items are useful for such a short time that they didn't seem worth the money. Plus I think it's better to let a baby learn to sit up and walk without using those things.
@whittby (3073)
My frugal tip on parenting - especially babies - is don't buy them so many toys - they don't need them. Babies will play with household items - safe stuff like plastic stacking cups, pots and pans, things that shake in a container. I see all these toys and while they are really cute and I just want them all, they aren't necessary. Or recycle toys, trade toys with a neighbor whose kids are outgrowing the stuff - go to garage sales, consignment shops.
sorry, meant to comment on your statement whittby
@lingli_78 (12852)
oh yes... baby care is definitely very costly... i a m not a parent yet... but when i become one, i plan to buy second hand clothing and shoes for them... also, using cloth diaper that i can wash and reuse it again like what my parents use for me and my brothers when we are still babies... with the price of everything increasing so much, we really need to think of ways to live frugally...
You know your so right, man I went through the toy spree phase just this year while working the holiday (x-mas) and I bought them all those electronic toys like leap frog and v-tech and they were so not interested in all that stuff and I didnt realize until later that the toys do everything for them so why would they stay interested. I found that my oldest loves to pretend and play dress up so I go to Goodwill and buy her second hand dresses, one from GAP that had a couple marker lines on it but it was just for around the house and she loves it. Boh of my girls can spend hours using markers anyway and my youngest, 20 months now still loves getting into the cupboards and playing with the pots so I just let her and she cant hold back when it comes to handing me things from the dishwasher, i dont know what she thinks it is but she has this fascination with it thats for sure.
@minnie_98214 (10574)
Well im curious on some of these ideas as I could also save some moeny. The best thing I do right now is garage sales and lots of coupons in fact I bought a cute dress for a quarter taday.
Yea, I went crazy with the coupons when my babes were infants. I enlisted to Enfamils mail list, Nestle, and Similac which all send checks for 7-11$ off formula but Im more glad just not having to buy it. My parents say they gave us powdered milk when we were little kids and we didn't know the difference. I came from a family that always reused everything so when I found out Pampers wipes could even survive going through the wash machine I started reusing wipes for the not so messy messes and I dont see a problem with that. A recent BrainChild magazine article had a funny article about Diaper Free infancy and if it could be done so maybe you could pull some ideas from there. People don't talk about it but Im sure its all been tried before LOL!
@Rozie37 (15505)
• Turkmenistan
I read not to long ago that cloth diapers are making a comeback. The only reasons I could think that this would be a good idea is due to cost and that some babys skin may be sensitive to diapers. I know that those things can be costly. But the dollar store helps a lot.
@Shawchert (1040)
Not to mention they can be time consuming as well, some mother's or fathers who work a lot have a hard time keeping up with cloth diapers.
@neelygal (1022)
• Bahamas
Well what I do with my daughter to try and save money is buy everything for her wholesale.I also accept secondhand clothes and shoes from family and friends.I hardly ever buy her new clothes and whenever people ask what could they get for her I tell them pampers,milk or wipes so that I hardly ever have to buy those things either.
• Pakistan
we have made it so costly now a days whcih in the past was not as now. and it all happen that we want to be wiped and cleand all the things without any much effort. to avail facilities is always expensive.
@nengs10 (3189)
Yes, it does. Having said that, we should think many times whether or not we need to add a child in the family. It's the children's rights to be cared and given much attention as possible. They should be loved and be treated well.
My mum used terry towels nappies (cloth nappies)with us when we were younger! I dont think I could use them though! My mum had 3 children, my older brother, me and my twin brother! Theres 18 months difference between older bro and us, can you imagine the amount of nappies she would of had to wash daily if not weekly!!! As for wipes, wetting a wash cloth and baby soap...you make it sound so simple!! lol Wipes are handy for on the go and also good for sticky fingers/faces! I would use a store's own brand rather than a brand name.
@subha12 (18462)
i think you have posted a nice article. actually i think these are all frogal ways of baby care. may be these help lot more here. its really hard taht all baby cares are so expensive.
@deebomb (15347)
It's been over 40 years since I raised my babies. Back then we ether made our diaper or bought them. Never thought of using disposable except when we were away from home. as far as wipes I never heard of them back then. We used soft rags after wiping with toilet paper. Then we would put vasalene jelly on the bottom to keep it dry. Since the little ones would feel the wetness they were easier to potty train then they are today too.
@carmelanirel (21108)
I have used the wipe one before whenever we ran out of wipes..I think the only frugal thing I have done with my kids are the clothes..I either got them through friends or family, the thrift shop or garage sales, rarely did I buy new clothes for them..
You are right about the wipes. I started off buying them, but as time wore on and my pockets wore thin, I used a washcloth instead. To further cut costs I just used Ivory instead of baby soap. Ivory is the most gentle soap out there, and its cheaper to buy that then the baby soap.