It's alright. Grey underwear is in this year!

@p1kef1sh (45642)
I recently posted about my laundry pet hates, but It made me recall an incident that happened right at the end of our honeymoon 21 years ago. We decided to marry quite quickly (no she wasn't) and neither of us had budgeted for it. Our wedding was quite expensive for us and despite parental help, we became overdrawn at the bank and unable to raise any extra funds for things like trousseau etc. Taking pity on my wife, her mother took her into town and spent a large amount of money on new white lingerie for her. This she brought with us on our honeymoon which was in a self catering cottage in Cornwall. There was a Laundromat on site and I, ever the helpful husband decided that we should wash all our honeymoon clothes before we returned home. A job less to do. Clutching all our dirty clothes I pushed them into a washing machine, colours and my wife's whites together, and set the wash to hot. Eventually the wash was done and I went to collect the clothes. Her whites had turned grey! Quite a delicate shade of grey, but definitely not the white that they had been. Timidly I returned to our cottage and broke the bad news. I'd never seen her really upset before. She didn't take it half as well as I thought she would and the first 100 miles or so home were completed in a near silence. However, once back, I found a clothing catalogue. There inside were several young ladies sporting grey underwear. I pointed out that grey was clearly "in". She didn't agree. Can't think why. What disasters have you had?
@mummymo (23709)
LOL Tell the truth pikey you were trying to make sure you never had to do the laundry again! Cause I can't bend down and sort out the laundry and load the machine it is my partners job now and you have never seen so many shades of grey, pink and blue! I used to think he did it on purpose but he just won't get it through his head that you really can't put everything in at once no matter how often I explain it! I think the worst was my daughters new dressing gown that cost more than I would usually pay but that was so pretty and so cosy I splurged on it anyway, it got so far as the first wash before it went grey - I could have thumped him! xxx
@p1kef1sh (45642)
It didn't work if I was! I am pretty good now, I sort my whites and coloureds etc. The last "accident" was my daughter mixing a jeans with some white and yellow things. All her clothes though so no problem. [sarcastic laugh. Haha].
@mummymo (23709)
LOl My other half tried that when we were first together and he told me he didn't know how to iron! How thick did he think I was as I knew he had been in the navy for 4 1/2 years! lol xxx
@julyteen (13261)
• Davao, Philippines
that was during cooking. i do not know that the hose connected from LPG tank to the burner have leak and when i turn on the burner suddenly the hose reached by the fire, huge amount of smoke come out, i felt very nervous. i am very thankful i make a solution by putting wet clothes to the leak hose and the fire stop.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
That must have been very impressive. Well done for getting the fire under control.
@suspenseful (40316)
My stepmother washed a sweater and it shrank. That was when I was sixteen. I did wash a black t-shirt in warm water, and it turned dark gray. I also washed some underwear and it turned light blue or turquoise. But recently, we were in Prince Edward Island and we had lobster. So I said I did not need the bib. After all, I was a grown woman, and the lobster grease got all over me. So I had to wash my t=shirt, it worked all right and the Oxyclean did not hurt it at all, but I also decided to wash my underwear, and one of my panties was black. it turned dark gray. It is a good thing that I did not have to see them, but now I wash in cold water and soak the stained things first.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Whoops! I have tried that Oxyclean stuff but it has never been especially effective. Not tried it with panties yet.
@Ohara_1983 (4120)
• Kuwait
maybe she dont like they grey color, because thier other female dont like color grey & they have thier own color,like me i dont like color red, i dont know why, but i really dont like this color.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
I suppose that we all have our preferences. Hers certainly isn't grey!
@DonnaLawson (4032)
I have had not disasters quite like this one.. I do agree with your wife, Grey is not in, especially when it was white to start with.. I remember when my son turned 15, I gave him 200.00 to buy whatever he wanted for his birthday.. He did buy some clothes and one of the pieces was a very nice black shirt, which he paid $65.00 for, (it had somebody's name on it), I would never have paid more than $10.00 for it but this was a one time thing.. Well, when it came time to be washed, I still don't know how, but after it came out of the dryer, it washed and dried really well, there was huge bleach spots all over the back of the shirt and it was ruined.. He was devastated, but other than that, he took it very well.. But that was almost 15 years ago and he still tells people about it.. I still to this day do not know how it happened, I know not to use hot water and bleach unless it is on whites only.. Have a great day, Donna
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Ouch Donna. He must have been very upset. I would have been. But these things happen. My wife had some cashmere socks. They were hand wash only but somehow found their way into the washer and became cashmere socks for mice!
That is so funny, cashmere socks for mice, bet your wife didn't think it was so funny..
@34momma (13896)
LOL LOL you are way to funny my friend. I don't think pointing out that other women are wear grey underwear worked out well for ya!! LOL LOL LOL i bet i have a list of things i did with good intention but did turn out so well.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
I bet that you have a list too. Thanks Momma.
@34momma (13896)
i am becoming better each day, so i don't even bother with that list any longer
@Breath (1298)
Thank you for such a cute sweet story..When me and my husband first married we didn't have a lot of money and I wanted to clean all his clothes and honey I bleached all of his jeans and work clothes...We did nto have the extra money to buy new ones so he had to end up working in bleached out jeans and shirts...lol...He was so mad and said he should spank me...Now we look back and laugh...
@p1kef1sh (45642)
I can imagine how upset he was. But you were doing your best. We laugh too now. Spanking can be good...... Sorry, rude boy.
That story is absolutely priceless. I am he kind of lady who would have agreed with you. Afterall, you meant well. I remember the first time I tried to cook (wanted to make dinner for my mother who had just gone back to work!!) I put a cast iron pot on high, and blew the stew right off of the stove. MOM was the only one thoughtful enough to eat it. My sister and I ordered pizza.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
That's a mother's love for you. My mother in law cooked a chicken for sunday lunch to welcome her eldest son's girlfriend on her first visit to the family home. Unfortunately she left the giblets in their plastic bag inside! My (now) sister in law ate the chicken, but the rest of the family all phoned out for dinner too.
@subha12 (18454)
i think she should have appreciated what you did. washed all clothes..but what can be done. she did not appreciated this great effort.i think it was hilarioyus.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
It wasn't hilarious at the time. But I am forgiven now. I still do the washing. I am just a little more careful.
oh man!some tight spot you must have been in there!i mean on your honeymoon messing with your lady's clothing????what were you thinking??the disasters have happened to me on lot many occassions specially when it comes to something that i love absolutely it is bound to be spoiled.and most often than not it's not me who does it but my other family member.once i bought this really cool pink top,and after some days i decided to wear it and i saw on it a mixture of orange stripes going at the back.i didn't understand what was that so i decided to take my mother's opinion and then she spilled the beans.she laundered it with other dark colors.poor me!!!
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Poor you indeed. That must have been very frustrating. My wife has forgiven me now - I think!
Ha-ha,interesting,these clothes should be washed separately from the white pce,red with white,can not wear clothes on,i have done this before,i was scolded by his wife,after i can not do it all things!
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Very embarrassing I am afraid. Thank you.
@shymurl (2768)
Lol one time I washed something red in the whites, and didn't know it, till it was all over. my husband had pink underwear and socks, boy was he mad. I had to go out and buy new ones just to make him happy. now he doesn't wear white anymore.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
That was very god of you. I would have been told to live with it and given a few washes the pink would have run out again - maybe!
@foxyfire33 (10009)
All I can think of that was truly disaterous was when I used a sample of some detergent someone had given me. I wasn't familiar with the brand and it looked really cheap and old but being a poor newlywed I couldn't just throw it out. Well, it smelled horrible...like a wet dirty dog...and I could not get that smell out of our clothes. I was even line drying everything back then because we didn't have a dryer and even the fresh air and sun could not get that smell out.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
There is nothing worse than getting an unpleasant odour in your clothes that won't leave. We don't have a dryer, so we line dry as much as we can. But even then, a smell will persist. Funny how the nice smells always go quick, but the bad ones stay.
Awww Pike, thats another thing about us women, we keep our unmentionables as pristine as they can be. So sully a very white undergarment, well is tantamount to a hanging. Whits should be snow white, pink very pink and gray GRAY... No funny colors in between. I dare say to what bothered her most was that her mother had had to help her buy them. I once got a brand new red towel mixed up in the whites, which was mostly socks thank goodness and what was not an out right pink was streaked pink to red. It happens to the best of us. I was an experiences launderer by then too as a matter of fact. But you know what they say Chit happens.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
I think that it was the fact that her mother had bought them that bothered her the most. Her mother had spent a lot of money on them and in my wife's eyes they were now only fit for second best. But as you see I have survived. I am pretty good at sorting and don't have too many accidents these days. But I have to be careful because her uniform shirts are white and regulation. If she gets one of those messed up she can't just get a new one. She has to buy it herself.
I have had more than one experience with a lone red baby sock turning my white whites PINK! I HATE PINK! No matter how diligently I sorted the laundry one red sock would always find it's way into my whites. I learned after the 3rd time to remove the culprit and add a cup of pure bleach and rerun the wash cycle on hot. The pink is then gone and the whites are white again. But if you put the clothes in the dryer first, forget it! You will be stuck with pink for eternity.
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Thank you for that tip. Wish that I had had it 21 years ago. I wouldn't have dared put anything back into the washer then though. We'd have been eating sweetmeats for a week. And I don't mean the sugary floury sort either!
@twoey68 (13651)
Oh, pook P1ke, a good deed that misfired. Hopefully she's gotten over it now and can look back and laugh about it. Thinking back, other than turning a few loads pink I haven't done anything really terrible with the laundry. I've always tried to be really careful with the clothes b/c they tend to cost so much to replace. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@p1kef1sh (45642)
They certainly do cost a fortune. But pink can be a good look. LOL. She's certainly over it now, except when she wants to put me on the spot about something!!
@ellie333 (21029)
I think most women would have been upset over that one! Especially underwear as you have recently found out these items can cost a fair amount eh! LOL I have never really had any colour run mistakes that I can remember but I did put a jumper in the wash that should have been handwashed accidentally with a hot wash and it came out small enough to fit a teddy rather than my daughter. She was not happy but since then she has never mixed her handwashing in with the normal laundry basket so it makes my job easier in the sorting. Ellie :D
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Oh yes I've done the jumper shrinking trick too. Usually mine though. I try to wear them, but they look darn silly!
I was away on a girlie holiday so my boyfriend had to fight with the washing machine!!! Stupidly he put a red cap with his white t-shirt!!! His white shirt came out with red patches, in time the patches did fade but I think that put him off doing the washing for a while. Even now though he doesnt sort them out into darks and whites, but we do all our washing on 30!! Men, they never learn!! lol
@p1kef1sh (45642)
We learn alright Cinders. We just forget. I have tie dyed many things unintentionally but I do sort etc now.
@dragon54u (31547)
You poor guy! She should appreciate your trying to do the wash. My ex, on the other hand, wouldn't go near a washer and refused to learn. One evening when I was grocery shopping he decided to do a wash and put his white shirt in with some coloreds, one of which was my little boy's new red tshirt. Needless to say, I had a couple of washes with bleach and other things waiting for me when I got home! That's when I discovered the wonders of automatic dishwashing detergent, it gets out nearly everything in hot water!
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Whoops! You can now get a sort of run remover liquid that works on dyes etc. But her clothes were past recovery as I had washed them so hot. We're still married so I must have some redeeming features.