Dog constantly grooming her feet

@saundyl (9690)
I have a bichon shihtzu and shes ALWAYS grooming her feet. She'll sit and lick her paws until whatever shes laying on is wet or she gets told not to. As soon as shes told not to and she knows you're looking she stops, waits a while and starts again. The sound of it drives me nuts..slurp slurp slurp right behind me. And she looks so guilty when i tell her to stop. I know my aunts pup of the same breed does the same thing. Its almost like a child sucking their thumb...she stops when she falls asleep. Has anyone else run across this? Any solutions?
@lilybug (21148)
My brothers dog is constantly messing with his paws. He does not just lick them though. He will start to chew on his paws. He has allergies of some sort. The vet told my brother to give his dog Benadryl allergy tablets when he does it.
@saundyl (9690)
Benadryl? wow I have some of that but I'd be leery of giving it to dragon because that stuff puts me to sleep for HOURS.
@sedel1027 (17854)
Don't worry about giving Benadryl to your animals. We give our male cat Benadryl a few times a year due to pollen allergies (he has a sinus defect from being a stray). He is 12 lbs and gets 1/4 of a pill. It doesn't knock them out like you think it would. I agree that you do have a legit worry though. I can barely take Benadryl myself.
@saundyl (9690)
Thanks for the info! I'll talk to her vet about it and see what he says.
Sounds to me like she might have a skin problem. Fleas, Or something stuck in her paw. Check her paws and see if theres anything stuck on them or between the toes. Then look to see if her skin is red and irritated around the toes. Sometimes dogs can get skin problems with there feet especially if there exposed to cold wet conditions. I would suggest washing her feet with a gental pet shampoo and see if that helps. A oatmeal shampoo is the best. It sooths the skin. If she does have fleas they will get in between the toes and cause her to itch so she scratches. Even one flea will cause problems. Get flea meds just to make sure. Another reason she might do it is she is bored. If she is not getting enough excercise and mental stimulation she will find something to occupy her time. Make sure to walk her 2 times a day for 30-40 min each time. If none of this works then I would call the vet and see what they have to say about it. Hope I have helped some. ~May The Kisses Of An Angel Cover And Protect You Always~ Copper
@saundyl (9690)
Thanks for the advice! I'll try the oatmeal shampoo next time i get to a store to get some. She's been to the vet recently He couldn't find anything wrong with her, she was given medicine for de-worming and she has a new flea collar as do the cats and other dog. I was worried about the habit and took her into the vet. He figured it was a habit she's developed but didnt seem sure why. Tonight just after i posted I gave her the mousie toy and she hasnt been licking her feet...but laying on her toy grooming it instead. She seems to do it alot when its dark in the room...or when Its time to sleep.
So hows the licking going? Its been a few weeks now and I was curiouse to see what she has been doing. Hope all is going well and she has stoped. Thank you for the Best Response!! Its much appreciated! ~May The Kisses Of An Angel Cover And Protect You Always!~ Copper
@saundyl (9690)
No fleas. a visit to the vet got her a shot for allergies and checked over for irrtations. She hasnt been grooming her feet as much during the day so its helped alot. But it hasnt really solved the licking her front feet til she falls asleep at night. She only seems to do it now at night. He seems to think its like a kid sucking their thumb to fall asleep. the nights it drives me nuts she sleeps in a different room.