to flush or not to flush

@suehan1 (4356)
Australia
we are on strict water restrictions and we are trying to conserve our water,so i have decided to not flush the toilet every time we use it.mostly at night time i will not flush every time,during the day i flush.like the old saying "if its yellow let it mellow.if its brown flush it down".do you flush the toilet everytime you use it.cheers sue
@raijin (10380)
That's a good practice, I also do this at home. But when I'm on malls, there are some male urinals that don't need to be flushed because they want to save millions of gallons a day to conserve water. As for toilet, I think these public one's should be flushed to help maintain it clean and hygienic.
@suehan1 (4356)
yes i only do this at home,and public toilets are different.many big shopping centres have instaled the half flush toilet and also sensor water taps,so as to save water.i just wish i had those sensor taps on at home.cheers sue
I agree and the censored Taps are very water saving! Some public places also have toilets that flush automatically as they are censored! ~Heavens~
@tjades (3594)
• Jamaica
No i dont flush every time I pee. Its just such a big waste and furthermore it has to be paid for. It does get an obnoxious odor if left for too long so I flush before it gets to that stage. (lol)
@suehan1 (4356)
yes it is a big waste of water and you really do need to flush before it gets to that smeely stage.i even tried putting half a brick in the cistern so it won't fill right up.cheers sue
I've heard of placing things inside the tank in order to conserve water but have never tried this! ~Heavens~
We do the same...Once our son has gone to bed at 8PM we do not flush then until morning....I also don't flush if it is during a nap time until the next time it is used! My parents own a farm and so they do exactly that as they have a well....They definitely do not flush every time even during the day.....It's not bad, that's what air fresheners are for but if it is potent then it gets flushed ~Heavens~
@suehan1 (4356)
at night time we never flush as it wakes everyone up.but flushing every time you have a tinkle is a waste of good water,so yes the old air fresheners are good and handy to have.cheers sue
Hello sue! We dont have water restriction here but I still dont like to flush ever time someone goes. I have two small children, my hubby and myself. Thats alot of trips to the bathroom in one day. I feel like you do about it. If you go number one leave it but if you go number two flush it. Every so often I do flush it even if no one has gone number two. The smell can get to be to much after a while and I dont like all the toilet paper in the toilet. I always feel like it wont flush and I will have a flood!! LOL! Glad I could share my flushing with you! LOL! ~May The Kisses Of An Angel Cover And Protect You Always~ Copper
@suehan1 (4356)
i am glad to meet a fellow non flusher and i am glad you shared your flushing stories with me.yes with little kids that just do a tinkle,there really is not a need to flush all the time .cheers sue
@Calais (10905)
No, we dont flush every time alo, I have kids an we have septic, and its so expensive to get it pumped all the time, so we try and save whereever possible..Its different though if we have visitors etc..
@suehan1 (4356)
yes septic would be very expensive.its a good idea to try and save wherever you can,we even use the grey water from our washing machines to use on gardens etc.cheers sue
@Calais (10905)
Yes,we are in the process of getting the grey water sorted out too...
@suehan1 (4356)
i just had a look where you were from calais,and realised you do not live far away from me,i am on the central coast,and my daughter goes to school at broadmeadow,the performing arts school.do you have water restrictions yet.i know they are going to do a pipeline from newcastle to the central coast,when i am not sure.well it nice to meet another mylotter so close to home.cheers sue
@whittby (3073)
We don't pay for our water right now and we all flush away. If we do end up having a water shortage here and the water has to be conserved, I'm willing to bet a lot of folks will start following your "rule". I'll keep flushing for now - habit and it's just plain nicer not to have to look and smell stuff in the BR.
@suehan1 (4356)
we have to pay for excess water usage here at the moment and have done for a while,so its good to try and conserve water as best we can,at the moment it has been raining for nearly 2 weeks,so the buckets ahve been out.cheers sue
@Psyclown (131)
• Venezuela
Flux When is necessary.
@suehan1 (4356)
good idea to flush when necessary,as it can be a terrible waste of good water .cheers sue
I try to flush all of the time, but I know I shouldn't. We could save alot of water by not flushing the toilet after every use. It is just habbit to hit that lever, so even when I try not to flush I still usually end up flushing without thinking. We don't have a water restriction yet, but if we don't get some more rain we might end up in the same situation. I like your little rhyme by the way.
@suehan1 (4356)
i hope you don't get to our level of water restrictions,well i hope you don't get any.gone are the days of putting a sprinkler on your lawn and hosing anything in the garden.its a cute rhyme.cheers sue
Ive heard that saying before!! We dont always flush everytime, especially at night and sometimes during the day. I do when Im at someelse's house or used a public toilet!!!
@suehan1 (4356)
yes we must remember to flush at another persons house or public toilets.i find it is a waste of good water to flush every time when you are on restricted water usage.cheers sue
@terri0824 (4975)
I have to agree with you that I also don't always flush everytime I use the restroom. I agree with your old saying. Though I have to remember when I'm out in public to make sure that I have flushed, especially at work! LOL
@suehan1 (4356)
yes we must remember to flush at work,that would be embarassing to be found not flushing the loo there.i just find this is one way i can conserve water.cheers sue
@winterose (39929)
Yes we do, because I don't like the smell in the bathroom or the fact that the toilet bowl gets dirtier much faster.
@suehan1 (4356)
i havent found that it smells too bad as we normally flush every second time or so in our house during the day,and always flush when there are visitors around.our loo is really clean i use a lot of domestos in this house,so the smell of that will kill any other smell.cheers sue
@caramello (4382)
"if its' yellow, let it mellow" etc. not heard of this one sue but does make sense. I have it down to a fine art....flushing the toilet that is! One tiny touch of the button and a trickle comes out just enough to do its' bit.....but we use the water that goes into the bucket to get the temp. right and flush with that. The amount of water that runs through to warm up the water is amazing and such a waste! By the way Dragon was FANTASTIC but lost the voice a little.
@suehan1 (4356)
are you on restrictions caramello.thats a good idea just touching the button a little bit,so just a tiny bit of water comes out.i am glad that you enjoyed dragon,did you embarass your hubby and daughter with all your screaming.way to go girl.lol.cheers sue
@caramello (4382)
Yes we are on restrictions sue and have become used to them over the last few years. We also have 2 water tanks which helps a lot. I can still see my daughter "rolling" her eyes at the concert as I "sang" word for word the songs.....and hubby....well he just sat there quietly probably wishing it was someone else as our taste in music is very different.
@suehan1 (4356)
you old groupie you.i can just imagine hubbies and daughters face,priceless.lol.cheers sue
@Modestah (11195)
We follow the rule of if it is yellow let it mellow, if it is brown flush it down. Like you, though, we make sure to flush and wash if there is company over. We also toss our tissues into the covered wastebasket.
@suehan1 (4356)
its nice to meet another yellow let it mellow person.thats a great idea for a bin for the tissue.yes you need to flush always when you have guests,it sort of would be embarassing if you didn't.cheers sue
well waste water or not when its ninty outside you do not not flush yuck and double yuck as it smells up the whole apartment so I will save water some other way for one thing I do not take long showers just get clean and get out. and i do not just let the water run when I am washing dishes either.
@suehan1 (4356)
yes i agree you would have to flush a bit more often in summer months for sure,i have never gotten to the point where you can smell urine in your toilet.its just when you have got kids who pee all the time,you just conserve water where you can.cheers sue
@ellie26 (4128)
I went through water shortage before. Those days we only flush it down when it is brown. But now we don't have that problem anymore so we just flush after each use.
@suehan1 (4356)
i would love to go back to the days where water was never short,its a bit scary having restrictions at least we have dropped from a level 4 back to a level 3.they were nearly at the point of restricting your shower usage,but thankfully it never got to that stage yet.cheers sue
@minnie_98214 (10574)
I dont flush each time as I go ever 30 mins now due to pregnancy and well I alone could waste alot of water if i did.
@suehan1 (4356)
how i don't miss that going to the loo every five minutes when you are pregnant.you would be flushing all the time.lolcheers sue