Eating habits

@vsraovsr (734)
What is the right age for kids to be trained to eat on their own? Can they eat ontheir own in schools in pre KG and KG classes in their parents absence. What is the best way to make them eat to their stomach full?
@se7enthbird (8328)
actually i dont know, the reason why i responded to your discussion is i want to share what my wife is doing. we have a two years old son pictures apprears as my avatar. but my wife is starting to train our son to eat alone. she is training him to eat with a spoon to drink alone with a glass and stuff like that. i think it is a good thing to start kids that young so if we need to leave him at daycares then we know that he can eat even without someone feeding him. i just want to share that, hope it can help you
@SViswan (12071)
Start as soon as they show interest in eating on their own...might be messy at first...but that's the best thing to do. Kids in Pre-K can eat on their own...I've taught such young children..some were already taught at home and some we taught. Well..eating to their stomach full would take time...the moment their hunger is gone...the kids stop..that needs a little coaxing. But at school they have regular snack and meal times...so it will work.
@vsraovsr (734)
Thanku for your suggestions but my son always insists me to feed him. My elder one always questions me for not making him eat on his own like her and also insists to do the same to her also.Though I try to convince her saying that she is big enough to eat on her own, she is not satisfied with my deeds. In this kind of a situation, I feel guilty and tensed as well to manage the scene.
@SViswan (12071)
hmmm...I understand. Does your son ever try to eat on his own? Show some interest some time? My 17 month old wants to spoon it into his mouth himself when I give him scrambled eggs...and he also tries to feed himself when I give him dosa (made into pieces). He also likes to eat rice on his own....that does get messy...but what I do is put him on a little mat....I clean the mat later....or if I'm too lazy, I'll put a newspaper on the mat...then I don't have to clean the mat. He doesn't eat to stomach full...but then I feed him after that. The effort is more important. My older son was fully independant by the age of 3...this one will take longer.
@sminut13 (1786)
well, i have to admit that my son is still being spoon fed too. i have talked to his teachers and they say that he eats on his own albeit slowly. he's a fussy eater so it's really tough to get him to eat something. from what his teachers have said, he can eat by himself though not that properly and he's already 5 this year. when i try to get him to eat by himself, he refuses so being impatient, i feed him. he can drink by himself though. as for eating till they're full, i think partly it depends on how much they can eat and whether they like the food or not. if they're not picky eaters, then it should be easy since they'll eat till they're full. if they're like my son, then it's tough. it's also helpful if teachers are able to keep a lookout for our kids. for me, i inform the teachers regarding his eating habits, thus when i ask them how are his eating habits in school, they report to him accordingly. they also encourage him to eat more. as for when they can start eating on their own, i feel that if they start taking an interest, you can teach them. you can also encourage them before hand to get them interested.
@ellie26 (4128)
My son who is 3 1/2 year old is feeding himself. He quite capable of eating on his own. I think children in pre KG and Kg classes are taught to feed themselves. Just let them eat anything they like. Of course, no junk food. You will know when they are full when they have finished all their food.