Rules should be made and enforced for everyone! Or dont enforce them at all.

@dloveli (4369)
I am a counselor for an addiction treatment center. I host several woman's groups and also several mixed gender groups. The rules are that you must attend all assigned meetings. If you have an illness, appointment, etc, you are required to provide a documentation of some kind. If you dont, you could be kicked out of the group and or may be entire program. Usually they allow you to miss one without making a big deal. If you miss two or more, without documentation, you are set up with an appointment with the program director. He or she will usually place you on a 3 month contract. In this contract you must have NO absences at all from all scheduled appointments. Also we have mandatory drug testing on a once a month basis. Names are chosen at random. If your test comes back positive, we try to see what we can do to help. If its persists, you can be removed from program as well. Having explained this I have a big problem. I, too, am in recovery so I feel like I can relate to the problems of these people who are in early sobriety. I am becoming increasingly aware that some of the other counselors are not really keeping up with the results of drug tests and the attendance of their clients. Its not fair that some people are held responsible and others arent. I think it creates unneeded tension and possible hostility between clients. I have written grievances and voiced my concerns to my fellow counselors and still nothing changes. I also feel that clients privacy and confidentiality is being violated. I am beginning to agree with some of the clients on the fact that some people are being discriminated against. I dont want to have to call out idividual cases. I dont want to be the "busybody" of the center. However, I am really becoming quite annoyed. Its not fair that some people are out using on a frequent basis and are lying. The counselor knows it. What good are they doing for that patient if they allow him/her to slide by. If I was allowed to slide by, I wouldnt have taken responsibility for the way I was hurting my family and myself. I dont know what to do. On one hand I want to be part of a recovery team. On the other, I feel that I should talk to the director. What do you think? If I talk to the director, it may backfire. If it gets out, my clients may think I am not trustworthy. I dont think anyone will be interested in why I did it. They'll be interested in the fact that I did it(solely) Early sobriety is tough enough without having to worry about the staff. I am soo confused. What do you think?
@nengs10 (3189)
Many said that rules are made to be broken. Well, rules are made to be followed or else certain punishment will be imposed upon. After all, it's all in the hands of the implementors of the rules how will they handle such mistakes made by their followers.
@dloveli (4369)
I have heard that saying as well. Unfortunately, I think alot of us feel that way. When you're an addict, you are not thinking, acting correctly. Its hard enough to surrender to the fact that youre an addict and need help. One of the hardest things you'll ever do in life is ask for help. In every treatment facility, there are a few who are not there for themselves. It could be they are there for court , family, etc. When you begin to get your head clear and come out of the fog, You need rules and structure. You are relying on the people who work in the facility to help you. If they let you do whatever you want, they're not helping they're hindering your recovery. I am going to lead by example. dl
@kykidd (6824)
I just went through a similar circumstance and ended up losing my job for speaking out and being honest. It's not fair, but if you speak out you may be demoted, then again if you let it persist then those people aren't getting the help they need. It's sad.
@dloveli (4369)
My point exactly. I am sorry about your job. You did the right thing. Its never wrong to follow your heart. I think I am going to document everything for a while. I am going to speak on it at lunch nonchalantly. Maybe they'll get the hint. I am going to give my clients the best I can. Maybe by me following the rules, others will follow. Thanks again. THat job didnt deserve you. dl