UK soldier sues over "Paris" nickname.

@MsTickle (24983)
Australia
This from AAP news from My Yahoo: British soldier Kerry Hylton is suing the army because of the embarrassing nickname given to him by fellow troops. Hylton claims he has been "demeaned" by the nickname "Paris", after the notorious blonde American socialite and Hilton hotel empire heiress. He is suing for race discrimination, alleging that his fellow soldiers ignored orders to stop calling him Paris. The Daily Express newspaper reported that Hylton, a chef with the Welsh Guards, finds the nickname offensive because he considers Paris Hilton "a white woman with a low reputation". The Jamaica-born 33-year-old also alleged he was called several racist names at his barracks in London. An employment tribunal in London is expected to hear his case next month. What are your views on this...is it taking litigation too far? Should he get over himself and take it on the chin as expected ribbing from his workmates...I'm sure the fact that he's offended eggs them on but I could be wrong. Is this, in your opinion an issue of out and out racism. I'm curious as to how others see this as I can't make up my mind.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I would think it was just plain ribbing him like they all do certain people needs to suck it up and get over it.
@Ravenladyj (22937)
suck it up and get over it Sorry but I disagree with you completely..I grew up being taunted with racial slurs and namecalling well into my 20s when I started knockin ppl out for it..namecalling is hurtful but racial slurs are UNACCEPTABLE AT ANY TIME..THATS NOT "ribbing" thats racist..BIG difference
@Lakota12 (42684)
REally dont think it is racial. and boyif you had my last name you would know the years I went thru being called names then I married and that name was just as bad got ribbed alot at work for them
@MsTickle (24983)
Lakota he's not suing over the Paris name calling but other alleged racist comments that have been made. He sounds like a bit of a misfit to me and possibly overstaing the case. He may see this as a way out of the forces. There were no other details unfortunately.
@emeraldisle (13145)
Oh brother. The person should get over it. His last name sounds the same as Paris. People have a tendency to do things like that. Now I agree the others should have stopped when ordered to but that is no reason for him to sue. They didn't do it to be racist or anything like that. It was ribbing that happens. I know my family has gotten some for our last name. Won't go into it but my dad's name matches with a famous book character. We got a lot of razzing for it. Did my father sue when his fellow soldiers called him a name from it? Or my brothers for that matter when they were in the military? No, of course not. Now the racist names, if they did that then yes they should be brought up on charges. That he does have a case on. If his superiors did not investigate that part of it or did nothing about it then I can see his reason for bringing a law suit.
@MsTickle (24983)
I reckon I agree with your take on the whole thing emerald. I can see he maybe has a reason to sue but if he would just ignore it the problem would more than likely go away. He sounds as if he doesn't get along with his workmates.
@emeraldisle (13145)
I agree it does sound like it. The first part with his name, he needs to grow up and just handle it himself. The other part if there were racial comments then yeah I can see getting upset but that sounds more like it was an escalation due to his not liking the first nickname.
@penny64 (1106)
Hi! Interesting discussion. As soon as I read that his surname was Hylton, I thought that was just a typical type of nickname that guys choose. I think he will have a bit of trouble proving it is racist. In fact, by pointing out that Paris Hilton is a "white woman", it appears that HE is the racist one. The only thing in his favour is if the fellow soldiers disobeyed orders, as stated in the report. A bit of fun can sometimes turn into bullying - it's hard to know where to draw the line. It does sound like he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder though, doesn't it.
@MsTickle (24983)
It does sound as though he is a total misfit. I don't mean that derogatarily either, just stating something that seems obvious to me. He sounds like an unhappy man.
@penny64 (1106)
Yes, I think you are right. He sounds like he is looking for a reason to get upset with the world in general. I hope he can find some help now that he has shown this side of himself.
@winterose (39918)
I think it is taking it a bit too far, I mean really, his mates call him parris so he is suing the military? What about every kid that has been called names in school by their classmates should they sue the school?
@MsTickle (24983)
He seems to be a bit of a misfit to put things mildly.
@pyewacket (44036)
Well yeah, I think the guy should get "over" it by the kidding of being called "Paris" but no, if he was also called racist names that is something else and is outright discrimination--so in that instance he really does have a legal case there
@MsTickle (24983)
This is true Pye. But the guy seems such a wuss, he is probably over dramatising the situation. I'm guessing of course but it's hard not to. Surely if it was a legitimate case of descriminnation or racism his superiors would nip it in the bud and deal with the culprits before it became a case of litigation?
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
I think that it is childish attitude to take such steps because of a nickname. We all got various nicknames at school and often from friends later in life, this is simply life itself. It is a very sad testament to the army that a soldier can get upset over something so petty, he is supposed to be one of the people that we depend on to protect the country.
@MsTickle (24983)
I hadn't considered that aspect of this situation. Perhaps he is very unhappy and looking for a way out?
@paid2write (5202)
I don't think this nickname is racist, although he has also alleged he was called several racist names - which is a more serious matter if he can prove it. I think this is just a joke and there are probably other soldiers being called worse names but they take the joke as it is meant.
@MsTickle (24983)
I agree with what you are saying. This is a universal thing and I feel that that he is being a bit melodramatic about things. If racist slurs are occuring, I'm sure it would be nipped in the bud.
i wouldn't say the hilton part is racism,but definetly harrassment. if the commanding officer told the others to stop it and they continued,somebody's definetly in trouble. the names at the barracks though,he probably has a stronger case on.you shouldn't have to take that while you're trying to do your job.
@MsTickle (24983)
I'm surprised that his superiors haven't done more to appease him about the alleged racist comments.
@faith210 (11233)
Hi Ms Tickle! I do think that he got fed up with all the name-callings and being made fun of that is why he is taking it to the court. I guess, each one of us has his/her saturation point. He had already told his superiors about it but the soldiers never stopped from making fun of him. I guess, maybe to some he is just over reacting to his buddies jokes but to him and to some, it is something that is disrespectful. Personally, when I said enough and people don't respect that I will be irritated and p*$$*d but I am not sure if I will take it to court just to make people stop making fun of me unless I do feel that it is done to demean my dignity as a human being. Just my thoughts. Take care and have a nice day!
@MsTickle (24983)
Very fair comments. Well said.
@faith210 (11233)
Thanks for the BR Ms Tickle! I really appreciate it. Take care and keep smiling!
@cjgrooms (4456)
If he had just ignored them they wouldn't have continued with it, after all if you can't get a response why bother?It dosen't sound like racism to me (unless you count him saying paris hilton was a white women with low reputation).Wait, maybe Paris Hilton should sue Him for slander, after all he did say she had a low reputation and i'm just taking it for granted that he does not know her personally so he really only knows what he has read in the tabaloids! Heaven knows i wouldn't like being call Paris either but i wouldn't sue over it!
@MsTickle (24983)
I agree with what you are saying. apparently there were earlier racial comments made and it's these he is suing over.
@nannacroc (4049)
Racist remarks are always unacceptable. Being called Paris because he has the same surname is just natural, at least in my opinion. He probably wouldn't have objectd if he'd had the surname of Presley and been nicknamed Elvis.
@MsTickle (24983)
Yes, I think it was a natural call as well.
Why in the world would they call a jamaican man Paris? The mere fact that he is male. If it is because of his last name then I get it..but that is rude for them to do that to him. He really feels insulted...who wouldn't be? Especially being called a girls name when you are a guy. I don't like people calling other people names which they feel offensive and hurtful.
@MsTickle (24983)
The point of nicknames is generally meant to be fun. I feel he is taking it the wrong way.
@Ravenladyj (22937)
Should he get over himself and take it on the chin as expected ribbing from his workmates I'm sorry but I dont think its a matter of "getting over himself"...Sadly many ppl fail to realize that constant belittling by numerous ppl can be VERY damaging...it doesnt make a person a whimp or a wuss..if the majority of the barracks is doing this to him ALONG WITH racial slurs AND they've already been ORDERED TO STOP but refuse to I think he has a case! Its demeaning, damaging and cruel as far as I'm concerned...
@MsTickle (24983)
I think this guy is overstating things. Get a group of guys together and everyone gets a nickname. It's not meant to be belittling, it's just the way it goes. He seems to be a bit confused, his comments about Ms Hilton were certainly racist. I agree they should have stopped when ordered to but this order, as I said probably exascerbated the situation.
@Jemina (5783)
I don't know how to react really. I think we have to wear his shoes in order to understand what is bothering him. I was gonna say that he is just using this as a way out or to profit from it. If he wins he might get a handsome amount. But then I could be wrong. I am not see the situation myself so I can't just sit here and add more insult to the injury. People have different personalities and we handle things differently. I respect him as an individual.
@aswinbio (174)
its not fair to tease the fellow workers. if they r not interested they he or she should not compel them