More than One Type of Lemon Verbena?

Lubbock, Texas
Does anyone here know if there's more than one type of Lemon Verbena? I have one that has come back every year for 7 or 8 years. I've planted Lemon Verbena 2 different times since then and they grew and thrived the first year, but didn't come back the next year. I asked at my local garden store and the woman I talked to seemed surprised that the one keeps coming back.
@cjgrooms (4456)
I wish i could help you out,but i promise if a plant sees me coming they bend down on their little stems and starts praying for mercy!
• Lubbock, Texas
ROFL That's how everything except herbs respond to me!
@coolseeds (3921)
What is your hardiness zone. I am in 7 / 6.5 and own a landscaping company. I have told a lot of people who were growing verbena that I have never seen it come back. They always assured me the person at the nursery, Lowe's or Wal-Mart told them it was a perennial. What they called "perennial" verbena never came back. Aloysia triphylla is lemon verbena. It iS a perennial shrub in South America. So I guess it could if you lived in the right zone and climate. It's hardiness zone is 9-10. Are you sure it is a perennial and not a volunteer? Seedlings have cotyledons. Which do not look like the other leaves. Perennials do not have cotyledons as the 1st leaves. The 1st set of leaves on perennials will look like the other leaves.
• Lubbock, Texas
I'm in zone 7. I don't remember if the information came with the plant or I read it on a book, but there were instructions to cut back the stems and mulch at least 2" deep at the end of the season and sometimes it would come back. I guess this one is an anomoly. The first set of leaves are the same as the rest. Year before last I couldn't get out to cut it back and the branches from the previous year even put on leaves. That's never happened before. I's certainly a mystery. I think I'll just accept it and be thankful. :) It's my favorite scent in the whole herb garden.
@coolseeds (3921)
It is possible that your plant has received the proper genes to survive a colder winter. And it isn't lemon balm? It will come back in zone 7.
• Lubbock, Texas
No it's not lemon balm. I have that growing in another bed. MMMMM delicious. Both of them.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
According to my one gardening book, there are more than 200 to 250 different species of verbena, so quite possibly there could be more than one type of lemon verbena out there. Maybe there IS one type that is a perennial. From what I've read, most true lemon verbenas are annuals. But then I got to thinking that maybe it's self seeding itself yearly. I have lots of different plants in my garden beds that are listed as being annuals, and are supposed to die off, and then the following spring...hey, there they are again! I've found that some of them, if in a more sheltered place, will drop their seeds and the following spring they come up kind of like volunteers. Maybe this is what your verbena is doing? Just a thought :-)
• Lubbock, Texas
I'm pretty sure it's not reseeding itself. It didn't bloom the first 3 years! All the new growth come from within the clump of stems that I cut back to the ground and the end of the growing season.