Gas? How much are you paying (and where are you?)

Today, I saw gas ranging in price from a low $3.37 at US Gas to a high of $3.57 at Exxon (where else???). I'm located in Burlington County, NJ. So what's your price?
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
hi dear i am in pakistan and now its US$1.06 per litre for supreme, Hi Octane is higher, Take care
The way I figure, you are paying about $4 or so per gallon for supreme--about what were are paying here in New Jersey, USA. Is your country a member of OPEC? May I ask a question then (no offense intended!)? Who actually sets the crude oil price per barrel? It seems that everyone is paying extremely high prices, and apparently for no reason (including yourself!) I guess I'm just confused--I should have paid more attention in school!
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Hi dear thanks for response No dear, we are not part of OPEC, infect we buy fuel from Them Well price of Crude oil is set by simple formula of supply and demand, OPEC countries are not increasing their per day production, supply of gasoline is increasing all over the world. USA dont want to consume their oil reserve so it effecting the prices other major factor of increase in prices are devaluation of US$ and recession in USA economy do concentrate on me, take care
cupid, thanks for the explanation! Another part would be that our dollar is worth less and less every day--we continue to consume too much gas (we had a gas shortage in 1973, with REALLY long lines at the pumps of REALLY big cars. The solution? Build smaller cars!) Students here in the US have a competition to develop alternative-fuel cars (for instance, used cooking oil is fuel)--but no one seriously develops this stuff (big business, you know?) I also think that the US should consider alternative, renewable energy more seriously: hydro, solar and air power sources. Unfortunately, it seems we're h*llbent on whining more about the cost of a nonrenewable fuel source!
I just paid $3.83 today and our gas station is cheaper than most in the area. I think the average here is $3.95. I live in San Diego, California. I hardly drive anymore because of the price of gas. Luckily, my work is sending me to places that are closer to home. But, it means I will get paid less in mileage. They've also cut my hours and my mileage has pretty much been cut in half. It used to be that they paid for all my gas, but since I got a new car and the prices have gone up so high, I'm lucky if they cover half my gas for the month.
Sorry to hear your hours have been cut! I've started limiting how much driving I'll do (I used to put myself in rotation to get shows 2 hours away on Saturdays and Sundays; even though it means I'll get paid less because I'm working less, it's cheaper!) Is your gas station from a major company, or a smaller company (the cheapest now is US Gas, but I'm always fearful since I got water in my tank with my old car). Good luck!
The gas station I usually use is Arco, which would probably be the same as BP on the eastern side of the United States. We don't have a lot of independent stations here because the bigger oil companies drive them out of town or force them to keep their prices higher.
@Pitgull (1523)
Yeah, here in san anotonio I've seen up to 3.54....but when I first moved down here they were way below what we paid in new york.... when I started driving, I remember seeing 1.90-1.95. Now my mom is paying $3.72 for regular. I'm 21 now, so in 5 years...$2.82 more...wow...5 years from now will it be, $6.54??? No way...can anyone afford this? I know people in Ny who are carpooling to work...To save on gas. That also helps our environment, less vehicles. Maybe people should start using our public transportation more, then we could evolve our system a lot more. Our big cities like New York, do subways and whatnot, and look at Europe? Many people just use the public transportation, for commuting-places we all go every day. All these places with heavy traffic could benefit from a better public system. Call me a socialist, but it's the truth. Oh yeah, and we waste too much energy. Everyone knows that, and Americans waste TWICE as much as Europeans, according to statistics I hear on Bill Maher. I also found it on Population Press, by Norman Meyers world experts at waste. Check it out. Our US power plants waste energy equivalent to Japan's ENTIRE Energy usage...
@Pitgull (1523)
Our true problem will be fixed by alternate energy sources. Sad truth, fossil fuels will run out. People are intent on that. No gas cap, b/c of supply and demand, they'll have to buy oil at whatever they say it costs. Although I'm sure the oil companies wouldn't go under, but shouldn't they be giving back to the people who made them rich? Wouldn't that be good customer service? The oil companies are in the energy business, I'm sure they could invest in alternate energy, to preserve the future of their company. Without oil, no oil companies. It'd be nice not to pay those bills when it's gone though, right?
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. A friend sent me an astronaut's photograph of the earth and there were 3 REALLY bright spots over the US. Guess where they were? New York. Understandable--they have how many millions packed in that area? Washington DC. Maybe the Pentagon and White House could turn OFF a few more lights. And the third one? Philadelphia, PA. They waste so MUCH electricity! The city was nearing going broke again a few years ago and the water company was begging for water. The local news station did an investigation regarding the water authority's financial problems--they had open accounts for vacant homes, homes that didn't exist or vacant lots--they never wrote the debt off! I'm a big proponent on renewable resources; I've been talking about it a lot lately. I noticed last summer after converting nearly every light in my home to fluorescent bulbs that it was a lot cooler! I turn off the power to my computer every night, and try to leave other items not plugged in all the time (once my phone is charged, I shut off the power strip). All little things, but they do add up! I'll check out Population Press--sounds quite good!
@elisa812 (3033)
I'm in southwest Ohio, and we just hit $3.75 this week. It's so awful! I'm sure it is worse in some other places, but it's just getting so depressing. I am so nervous to look at the prices on the way to work each morning cause I just dread seeing how much it has gone up since the last time I drove past the stations. I really don't see how things can keep going like this. I think I'm going to have to start walking more this summer to places that are close by, and maybe riding a bike sometimes to save on gas now that the weather is getting warmer. I don't know what we'll all do if it continues to go up at this rate.
I'm going to have to start using public transportation--and it's a horrendous system here where I'm at (southern NJ). I just can't walk any more than a block--my legs get too tired because of my MS. I'm afraid to see how much it's gone up today!
@di1159 (1580)
Hello! Here in Miami I am paying $3.67, and premium is $4.05. It seems that every time I drive by a station, someone is changing the prices. I'm thinking of getting a scooter to commute for work. I feel sorry for the people who are stuck driving those big SUVs. They must really be feeling the pinch. It's crazy, I feel they are really gouging us!
I drive a smaller one (Suzuki XL7), but in my case, I can't get out of a smaller car easily (I have MS and lifting myself out of the car gracefully doesn't work anymore!). I had 3 Isuzus over the years--2 were stick shifts and had 22 1/2 gallon tanks--now THAT would have been pain at the pump! Fortunately they were 4-cylinders; right now I've got a 6-cylinder automatic and it consumes so much gas that I barely drive anymore!
@keasling (724)
I live in Cleveland Texas. Cleveland is about 40 miles north of Houston Texas. The highest I have paid is 3.9 per gallon. They say we are under the National Average but it is still too high.
Wow...the highest I paid was $3.64 last Saturday, out of desperation! I know that NJ's gas tax is among the lowest in the nation, but c'mon! My sister's in SC and she said it's about the same price as here in NJ. I should have stayed up for the news report last night--where DO our gas dollars go?
@jer31558 (3683)
The last time I got gas, it was around 3.59 for regular unleaded. I think I was paying 10 cents more for the mid-grade. This in southeast Georgia.
I'm fortunate that my vehicle doesn't require anything but regular gas. I saw the premium prices--nearly $4 a gallon! Ouch! Thanks for sharing and try to keep cool!