How would it make you feel?

How would it make you feel to know that your email or other personal information had been hacked? Now, I'm not saying its happened to me. It has happened in the past, but I don't know that its happened recently. I personally think its really crossing the line, whether you've got something to hide or not. Have you ever had your accounts or personal information hacked? What did you do about it?
@lexus54 (3576)
I don't think my email has been hacked before, but the possibility of that happening to me or to others is very real and easy as well. Nowadays with malicious programs or keyloggers planted in your pc, it is not difficult for a hacker to get into someone's email. Even with anti-spyware protection, keyloggers may still exist in one's PC until detected. While people try to protect their confidential information like bank IDs and passwords by using virtual keyboards to key such information on the pc, how many people actually use the same protection measures when entering their IDs and passwords to get into their everyday email accounts? Even I admit I don't do that because somehow I don't feel my email messages are so confidential that they need this level of protection. But when I really think about it, each time I sign up for something on the internet, usually the site will send me a welcome email, and in that email the login ID and password to that site I have registered is embedded. So if a hacker gets into my email, chances are he/she will be able to get to the IDs and passwords of some of the internet sites I have signed up to. Now that's a scary thought, and so I wish my email will never ever be hacked by anyone.
You made some really good points, particularly that your id and password is in every welcome email.
I was hacked a couple of months ago from a user on myLot. I knew it was from here as for a split second his myLot ID flashed on the screen when I was about to sign on to my online banking. I contacted myLot (big help...!!) and my bank, ran a complete spy check and changed my important passwords. So there did not seem to be any problems after that. BTW this incident happened a few times within about 15 minutes so it was not a fluke.
How is it that someone from this site hacked into your banking account? Now thats wierd. What were you able to do about it?
They did not manage to do it because I got a glimpse of their myLot ID before I keyed my password. I do not know how they did it. I explained in my response what I did about it.
@SViswan (12071)
It's happened to me around two months back...and I was so frustrated and angry. But I managed to get it back. I had nothing to hide...but I couldn't access my e-mail because someone had hacked into it...and I had so many things in there that meant so much to me.
Did you find out who was doing it? And were you able to report it?
@SViswan (12071)
I'm not sure who did it. But I had a doubt on someone on myLot because they had threatened me that very day. I didn't complain because there's no point doing it for an e-mail box in India...no one would do anything about it.
@tjades (3592)
• Jamaica
I have never had this happen to me and really hope to never have that experience. I would be hopping mad and just wanting to see the hacker face to face. From what I hear its not an easy thing to deal with.
So what would you say if you met someone that hacked into your accounts?
@tjades (3592)
• Jamaica
I have no idea. Maybe I would spue like hell or just stare them down (if that is at all possible). I would just want to have a good look at anyone who could do such a thing. (lol) It does seem to appease the anger somewhat or help to direct it at a definate source instead of just being angry at some far fetched person. If you know what I mean.
@mflower2053 (3227)
I had my bank card account used for some place in a different language not even sure what it was but they took over 2k and charged it on my card. I was very surprised the bank didn't question it before we did. With the amount being so high and everything. They did steal it off the internet which sucks and since we don't use our bank account online anymore. It was actually one of those fake paypal emails. Ever since and I hope the people are reading this. I have reports every single email that claims they are paypal even if it is paypal I report it. I hope they don't get anyone else this way.
I had a similar problem with ebay. They said there wasn't sufficent funds on my card for a purchase I had made and I don't even have an account with ebay. I reported it right away and fortunely I never lost any money.
@Ohara_1983 (4120)
• Kuwait
it make me sick my friend, if someone me hacked my own personal e-mail or personal imformation, being frustrated to what happen to me maybe i dont know what i will do to this person, i can see & know him.
I think it would hurt if it was someone you knew that breeched your trust in that manner.
@suspenseful (40316)
I would feel rather upset. I would be upset more if I did everything I could, and yet someone hacked into my passwords. Even if I was careless and wrote passwords with my first name and my address, or my postal code number, I would feel that someone took advantage of my stupidity. Even if they did not, I would feel that that same person would take advantage of an elderly great grandmother or great grandfather and that would make me very angry.
I agree, just because someone may come across a password doesn't mean they have to use it.
It is maddening and frustrating to have happen. I had to completely close a bank account and it took me over a year to get some stuff straightened out after my identity was stolen. I guard my passwords with my life and not even my family knows them.
Over a year? Now that would be frustrating and I don't blame you from guarding your passwords from EVERYONE!
@rhane7315 (5673)
it would make me really mad and frustrated. i would just change my password so that it won't happen again
I've had it happen in the past and I was really mad. It makes you feel totally violated.
@evlo173 (435)
I haven't had my email hacked,I am careful.When you sign up for an account,you have got to read on how not to get hacked,that's for all accounts you sign up with.There are thieves waiting to break in with the latest sophisticated tools all the time.
I agree you do have to read all the fine print, but I wasn't just talking about people you don't know, what about people you know?
@ladym33 (11007)
It has happened to me, and I have had to change my email address, which really ticked me off because I don't like to change things a whole lot, plus it is such a hassle changing everything to the new address. It is pretty bad on a lot of levels to have the done.
I wouldn't want to have to change my email address either and have to notify everyone of the change. I too am a creature of habit.
It would be devastating! I hate it when my privacy is disturbed, with people other than my husband. You've experienced it in the past? How come? How did your email get hacked? I hope it will not happen to me.
Yes, I have experienced it in the past and it made me feel totally violated, whether I had something to hide or not.
@lunmun (127)
I have no the experience and i think in the internet ,someone we call them hacker can steal our email and some other important account info and some private things or info .I will do nothing to this and only wish the God bless me .For i have know only a litte about computer and internet.
I'm glad that you have never had to experience one of your accounts being hacked into. Hopefully you never will.
@winterose (39917)
in real life, if you have been following my discussions you would know that my landlord lost all the rent cheques. But you know most people would just put a stop payment on the checks, but that only stops that one check from passing. I don't trust that, check forging is the number one crime in Canada. These thieves now have all my banking information name, address, account number and my signature, they can forge checks anytime the want to. So I closed my account.
Good thing you had the sense to close that account. Someone having all the information is really scary.
@jesbellaine (4157)
It happened to me. Someone had accessed to my E-mail account and it was so horrible. She got accessed to all my websites and some private information about me so I have to change my password. I did change my email password after that. She got my password by installing a software detector in the computer in which it will save all the password from any e-mail address... It is really frustrating..
Yes, I think you can get that kind of software for free. You really have to be careful who you share a computer with.
@bellaofchaos (11549)
It happened with my ebay and paypal account noone got anything becuase paypal realized it wasn't me and I had to rego through account verification so that they knew it was me but it prompted me to change all my passwords and anything else I had password protected.. I hated that feeling. Ebay also told me of the issue and said they locked down my account.
@gemini_rose (16194)
No I have not but I know someone who does this to someone else on a regular basis! I was surprised actually at how easy this is to do and so I try to keep all my information under checks so no one gets the chance too. I think if it was done to me I would go mad, no I have not got anything to hide but it does not mean I want everyone reading my mails!!
i would feel disgusted. why would someone do that, it is really going into someones personal life and no body has the right to do that. whther you have anything tohide or not is not the point, the point is intrution of your person life which would be disgusting
@wickedangel (1636)
• Dominican Republic
Touch wood KB that hasn't happened to me but I would feel as if I had almost been 'raped'. My personal stuff is mine and not for someone else to put their grubby little hands on. Nowadays we so rely on our computers and the security that we have, I could not survive without my computer and if I were hacked then I would never be able to feel safe again. I live in the Dom Rep but my bank accounts are in the UK and Spain and I seriously need online banking and personal email just to keep in touch with things. I have a friend of mine who is a bit of a computer expert, I think I would get him to double check that all was OK and get me upgraded with my security etc. Thanks for sharing this with us.
@saundyl (9690)
It would really make me mad and feel frustrated. It's my own fault if someone gets into my things through my pc where ive got passwords saved but if someone hacked in somewhere else i'd be completely irate. IF they hadnt changed the passwords I'd be changing passwords to accounts and checking sent messages from email to see what went out. Also letting people know that my accounts were hacked and possibly changing my accounts and deleting the old ones. I have a friend who's yahoo accounts were hacked and it took him forever to re-add all his messenger buddies and addresses after creating a new account and yahoo wasnt much help for getting his account back.