It's All In The Eyes...

Eyes... - Eyes...
@twoey68 (13662)
In the spring and summer I tend to get colds. I’m not sure why unless it’s just the change in the weather but I can always tell when one is starting b/c I start getting sticky eyes and a build up of wet sleep in them (sleep is that stuff that forms in the corners of your eyes when you sleep). Well, I’ve been getting that for the last day or two so I am probably going to have a change of season cold…happy, happy, joy, joy. There isn’t much I can do about it other than keep my eyes clean so they don’t get infected and hope it passes quickly. I think pollens might play a part in it as well. Do you get change of season colds? Do you ever get sticky eyes? What signs does your body give you that a cold is on the way? **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@tyc415 (5706)
Last year I had to go to the doctor because of my eyes being the same way. I had allergies due to the pollen and changes in the seasons. I got eyedrops presecibed and some medicine and it cleared up before Easter time. Mine start with the eyes like you described along with sneezing.
@Lakota12 (42794)
nope I dont think about getting colds so I dont if its pollen they have meds for you to take
@olivemai (4739)
Allergy medicines cannot be used by everyone!
@Lakota12 (42794)
nope they cant I agree with you
i have more of a problem with allergies rather than colds on the change of season,i'll sneeze from about march to june.the worst dry eyes i get is actually not from the outside weather but from the furnace drying out my eyes overnight.i'll usually stick a wet facecloth on them for awhile if it's really bad.
@olivemai (4739)
I do have problems with heaters drying out the air! It is not too bad though, and only seems to happen when the air is so dry and hot!
Just decided what is your thinking method. Do it as you want to do.
I normally get seasonal colds about 4 times a year, which would stand to reason seeing as we have 4 seasonal changes a year. Mine are usually mild, and only last a few days, a week at the most. This year has been different. The weather over our summer months was cooler and wetter than I can remember, and I have had a constant cold for about 6 months now. Hasn't helped that we had the roof replaced and that the dust from the ceiling space came through and got up my nose (old house, gaps in ceiling, no insulation etc). I normally can tell I'm getting a cold or flu by the fact I get a headache that lasts for a few days. It usually starts behind the eyes and then moves to the sinuses. I do suffer from pollen allergies, etc, but so do most people who spend much of their time indoors. I can usually beat it off quicker if I spend about 15 mins, 3 times a day outside around the pollens. It helps my body to build an immunity to nasties, and for a time, I have no problems with that pollen. Humidity and temperature do play a big part in the severity of our colds, flus and allergies. Keeping these constant helps, but isn't always easy.
@KrisNY (7609)
I do get change of the season colds-- and I hate them! Like I'm sure anyone likes getting colds right? The first signs for me- are my eyes get droopy and tired-- then I know it's coming. I don't get sleep in my eyes often (thankfully). I hope if you get a cold- it goes quickly! I usually start drinking a lot of OJ and water when I start to feel sick. I think the Vitamin C- helps me :) or it makes me feel like it does :)
@blackbriar (9095)
Are you sure it's a cold your suffering from and not just allergies? That's usually how my allergies start out as. Sticky eyes with sleep build-up in them but not just at night. It's thru-out the day as well. Then they start watering big time and itch. Then the sneezing/runny/congestion comes along. Somes with a slightly sore throat but not always. The only thing that differs between a cold and the allergies is the coughing I get toward the end and if the sore throat gets worse.
@phoenix25 (1543)
Are you sure it is a cold? What you are describing sounds like allergies to me. I have really bad allergies, so I know all about them. Some people will get glassy or runny eyes like you're describing "sticky eyes". This doesn't always happen with me, but it does when my allergies are really bad. That will also cause you to have more sleep in your eyes when you wake up. If your nose is running, look at the color of your mucous. I know that sounds gross, but clear mucous is usually from allergies. Yellow mucous is usually present when you have a cold. Green mucous is a sign of infection and is not good. If you have green mucous, it's time to go to the DR. If your mucous is clear and your eyes are watering a lot, you probably just have allergies. It can make you feel like you are sick and can make you more tired than usual. I have terrible allergies that don't really respond to most medications, so I feel like crap for about 80 percent of the year. I would suggest trying an over-the-counter allergy medication like claritin or zyrtec to see if this helps your condition.
@KKKBsmom (1094)
this to me sounds like allergies! LOL... everyone of my kids and I have this... and we have allergies... then they turn to infections! ugh... or drainage... you know the feeling! all the pollin in the air!
@winterose (39916)
it sounds like allergies buy some claritin and see if it helps, spring is the time for allergies. My son also gets allergies in the spring and he used to have cat allergies but no more.
It sounds like hayfever or allergies more than a cold. Have you tried taking an allergy pill? I take Zyrtec; if I didn't I would be just like you said. Sticky, runny, watery eyes and sneezing. Using an allergy OTC eyedrop may help your eyes, too. I feel for you!
@DavidReedy (2411)
Are you certain it's not allergies?
twoey it sounds more like you have some bad allergy problems and you need to get some' allergy medication for it. allergy also affects your eyes and your nose and even your throat 'so see your doctor and ask for medications for allergies.
@cortjo73 (6503)
I get colds and bronchitis in the winter and allergies in the summer. They start with me sneezing more than usual and, for some weird reason, I drool at night in my sleep! LOL! So, here are my suggestions, whether they are allergies or a cold, go to your local herbal store and get a pro-biotic and some immune boosters. Just ask the clerk and they will help you find them. Those are to boost your immune system and help you fight a cold and the flu. For the allergies, get Feverfew and Nettle Root. There are some supplements that combine those together but, you may have to buy them separately. I can take a month for the Feverfew and Nettle Root to help build up your resistance but, in the mean time, it will help you get better sooner. As will the pro-biotics and the immune boosters. You will get healthier sooner! It worked for me and I will never say anything bad about those supplements! Feel better!
@anniepa (25025)
I'm thinking your problem may be allergies more than colds. If you're like me, you can tell the difference so I certainly could be wrong but have you tried an allergy remedy? I've suffered from allergies since I was a kid, in fact back then I was in the minority as there weren't nearly as many people with allergies as there seem to be today, but they've gotten increasingly worse over the past few years in particular. I've been taking the CVS brand that compares to Zyrtec for about two months now and while nothing gets rid of my symptoms completely this works better than anything else I've tried. I get the "sticky" eyes, also itchy, watery and bloodshot at times, the sneezing, stuffy and/or runny nose, itchy throat and ears, post nasal drip, sometimes sinus pain, you name it. I can tell the difference between an allergy attack and a cold because I don't have the aches or fever that sometimes comes with a cold. Whatever it is you're suffering, I feel your pain because I've been there! Annie
@drannhh (14760)
I do not as a rule get colds, which you might consider a no brainer, given that we live in the desert much of the time. However, even there other people seem to have colds much of the time. We take nutritional supplements and the ones that I find particularly useful in preventing colds are zinc, vitamin C, and astragalus. These also help people who already have colds get better fast and they do not conflict with over-the-counter medications, in general, although that part I cannot personally confirm because I don't ingest any of that stuff. We make a little drink we call our "longevity tonic" that we try to drink daily but if not, then at least when we have overdone a bit or been out in the "weather." It is equal parts of honey and apple cider vinegar mixed with enough water to make it palatable, for me that is usually one or two tablespoons of each and up to 8 ounces of water. It tasted truly nasty the first time, but after a few "doses" one gets used to the taste and I even find it refreshing at times. Many illnesses seem to come from a Ph imbalance, usually too much acidic food, but Ph chemistry in the human body is complicated. The vinegar and honey drink works to restore normal Ph balance. So does baking soda, but that has a lot of sodium, so is not right for everyone, and tastes even nastier.
@jillmalitz (5132)
Sounds like you have the good old spring and summer pollen allergies. Houston has a lot of people who suffer from tree,grass and weed pollen allergies. I know a lot of people who are always sneezing and having watery eyes during this time of year. If you dont have a fever and you runny nose stuff does not get thick or greenish then it is probably allergies. Colds will go away no matter what you do in about seven to ten days. Allergies will bug you longer.
sounds more like allergies than a cold why not try an anti allergin!
@jezzmay (1845)
I get a stuffy nose and watery eyes.Yes the pollen has a lot to do with it.I went to the Doctor last week they put me on clarinex for it,told me I should have already been taking it.I use flonase, they had never gave me anything else,and now they act like it my fault.
@Mirita (2668)
Well, I'm the opposite ,and I usually get colds during the winter ,so I'm usually okay during the spring and summer ,so maybe I'm not allergic to flowers or grass.