What do they talk about?

@cortjo73 (6503)
This is going to be a weird question but, I can't help but wonder. Last night the hubby and I took the dog for a walk. There is a 45 acre man made lake in my subdivision and it is visited by wildlife such as geese, ducks, frogs, turtles, beavers, etc... There are some swinging benches for people to sit on and relax while looking out at the lake. There were two geese that kept swimming back and forth in the lake and they were calm, quiet and serene. Then, a gaggle of about 10 to 15 geese came flying up from behind and too the left of us and landed in the water but, as they flew they made a huge racket. They were all talking at once and were really loud. It isn't the first time I have heard gaggles of geese chattering loudly and over top one another as they fly overhead but, it got me giggling and I told my hubby, "here come the riff raff. The drunken Frat boys have arrived." LOL! (No offense of any fraternity boys that may frequent this board. It was just a joke.) But, it got me to wondering. I know that geese fly in the "V" formation because it somehow helps them all keep in the air...somehow, I can't recall how. But, why do they make so much noise, all talking at once, when they fly together? I told my hubby that maybe it was the head goose saying, "turning left" then all of the others chime in like roll call saying, "Roger that, Roger that, Roger that, Roger that, Roger that, Roger that, Roger that, Roger that." And the last one says, "Roger that, over and out." Or, "Going in for a landing" "Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing, Landing". What do you think? Or, do any of you know why geese are so noisy while they fly? BTW...the geese that were swimming around in front of us were quiet. They never said anything. But, that gaggle of geese kept yammering on after they landed. So, it really was like they were all out partying, got a little tipsy and were all just whooting and hollering in a drunken stooper. LOL!
@kykidd (6824)
LOL - This is such a funny discussion that you have started here. How creative, and who would have thought about this. I know I always hear the geese as they are flying by. I don't know if they're partying or argueing or what. LOL
@cortjo73 (6503)
LOL! Thank you! It just had me giggling with my hubby on our walk last night because it really was like the noisy neighbors next door just got home! LOL! I even think one of my "Conversation" scenarios was "Landing"! "Not here", "NO", "OK", "No...let's go to Hooters for another drink", "Man, about time! I'm exhausted," "NOOOOOO!" LOL! So, they could be arguing about not wanting to go where the leader is leading them! LOL!
@minnie_98214 (10574)
Well you put alot of people together and they do the same thing lol. Have you ever really seen a large group of people being quite. I like the way you describe it cause it does look like they are drunkards its funny. Next time I see a bunch of drunk guys being loud im gonna say you guys are acting like a bunch of geese.
@cortjo73 (6503)
LOL! That is true! LOL! I might have to do the same! And, have you ever seen the geese land in water? They are pretty graceful in the air but, they look like a bunch of drunken idiots when they land in water. It is the farthest thing from graceful! LOL!
Just like a bunch of stumbling drunks. And they even pee and poop anywhere they want just like some of those drunks.
@cortjo73 (6503)
LOL! I know! That poo is everywhere on the sidewalks down by the lake! You literally have to play something like hopscotch or dodge or something to make sure you don't step on it. And, since I don't want to make you sick, I will refrain from telling you about how my dog feels about goose poop. LOL!
@gemini_rose (16194)
Its true geese in a gaggle just make the most noise, we always get them flying over in the v formation. The last time they did it, it was really funny because there was one that was quite behind the rest and he was flying as fast as he could, shouting at the top of his voice as if to say "Oy wait for me" and the others were shouting back as if to say "Hurry up then". I bet they do talk to each other though, I love geese but they are fierce I have been pecked by one or two of them before. Apparently they make good guard dogs!!
@gemini_rose (16194)
What a brilliant story, I find it truly amazing the lengths that people go to over things like that, it always seems to draw people together and bring out everyones nice, protective, friendly sides. It is really nice, sad end though for the geese eggs.
@Elixiress (3893)
I think they were just generally talking to each other just like humans do, or they were excited about flying and landing, so screamed like humans do. The quiet ones were probably quiet because they were content in each others company, like people humans are. We don't always talk to each other just because we have company.
@cortjo73 (6503)
I think you could be right. That landing was pretty crazy. They don't land gracefully...that's for sure! LOL! And, I can see some sort of human traits in some of them. Some are timid, others are agressive. LOL!
@KrisNY (7609)
: ) that is funny... Roger that - roger that! That is perfect--- thanks for making me laugh on this long boring Monday afternoon at work! I don't know what they are talking about-- but I love what you say. it's funny that the other geese didn't squawk even when the others were. I bet they were drunk- and having fun!
@cortjo73 (6503)
LOL! I am glad I could give you a giggle. And, I found it funny that the other two geese didn't say anything when the drunk and disorderly neighbors got back from the bar! LOL! They just sort of looked at them and, I swear I saw distaste in one of their beaks! LOL!
@enola1692 (3325)
what kind of water do they get in that lake is it safe lol
@cortjo73 (6503)
Oh yea! It is perfectly safe. The lake is fed by a natural stream so, while man helped make it, it started with a stream. It is perfectly natural and safe. The lake is stocked with fish for us to catch if we like as well. Although, I wouldn't drink from it! LOL!
At one time my wife and I had over 50 geese. Over the years we have had over 150 geese, not counting babies that did not live to adulthood. This gave us plenty of time to observe them and make some guesses as to the racket. Geese are incredibly social, just like us. They like to be together and interact verbally. They are just like us in that they are monogamous. I mean 'just like us'. They are supposedly monogamous. We discovered much of the noise is concerning disputes over mates. They cheat a little! Then argue about it! That's the source of the really loud noise and the fighting. LOL... geese are almost human.
@cortjo73 (6503)
It sounds like you live in an area sort of like what I live in. However, we started with probably 150 geese and over the course of the 7 years that I have lived in my subdivision, which is only 8 years old, that 150 geese has dwindled to maybe no more than 30 or so. I think it is because, when we first moved into my subdivision, they were still building. We have about 550 homes in my subdivision and we had probably only about 100 homes built, if even that much, when we moved in. So, now that there are so many houses, while the lake is a great place for them, I think that some of the geese have moved on to other quieter areas that haven't been as humanized yet. But, I can see how social the geese are. The ones that still hang out, or live, in my subdivision are used to being fed by us humans...some of us. And, they linger by people when we are by the lake, looking for handouts. They are so used to us that they aren't even bothered, while walking across the street (or waddling across) by cars waiting for them to cross. Even if you honk at them...which I have seen others do, they are not bothered. That is cool to know that they are mostly monogamous but, that they like some humans, they cheat and then fight about it. LOL! One thing I haven't seen this year...at least not yet, is gosslings, I think that is what they are called. I have only seen full grown geese. I don't know if it is too early in the season for them. I hope that is the case. But, there was a coyote wandering around my subdivision for a while and, while I haven't seen him for a few weeks now, I can't help but wonder if he has found sustenance in goose eggs.
@foxyfire33 (10017)
LOL...I think the same thing when I hear all the dogs barking at night...."Hey Spot, I hear your people gave you a steak for dinner" "AH...they're just feeling guilty cuz they're taking him to the vet tomorrow" "Harhar, guess we should call Spot 'Princess' from now on!" "Aww...shut up guys, I ain't getting snipped, I just got a bad case of worms" "Sure 'Princess', if you say so!" "Hey anyone notice the Jones' new Tabby, I'm gonna try to tree her tomorrow" "No way, Rover, you stay away from that little beast, she'll scatch your ears off if you get near her" Wouldn't it be fun if we really could understand them! Maybe the two quiet geese were out on a date and all the loud ones were his buddies there razzing him about having a girlfriend.
@shorty08322 (1270)
we talk about a lot of things just look and you can fine what ever you want and what you like
@cortjo73 (6503)
LOL! Thank you. I have noticed that nothing seems too taboo here! LOL!