Do you find Vista gadgets to be useful or just a gimmick?

@Asylum (48266)
Manchester, England
When I first got Windows Vista I considered the sidebar to be nothing more than a gimmick to decorate the desktop and make the system look different. Now I find that I have a use for a few of the gadgets. I have a calendar and clock on the sidebar, which are really just for display, but the shutdown bar is very useful and a practical utility. Do you use the Sidebar gadgets, or are just for appearance on your system?
@gabs8513 (48715)
Well I have not got the Vista Asylum so I would not know I hope I never have to get it lol as I am not hearing good things about it at all
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
Windows Vista has received a very bad reputation, but a lot of the issues are not caused by Microsoft itself. With Vista being a different type of operating system rather than an upgrade, the hardware components require totally different drivers in order for them to work. Sadly, many of the hardware manufacturers have not bothered to produce drivers for parts a couple of years old and expect people to purchase new sound cards or printers etcetera. As long as you buy a new machine with Vista installed then you will have all the right components and these issues will not exist, except for such items as printers and scanners that are separate from the system.
@Candee (530)
I have just bought a laptop with VISTA. I never actually used the sidebar utility. I use 'my colors' which is pretty cool.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
I am quite surprised that you have not tried it yet. I can fully understand someone not wanting to use it, but I always check out every feature to assess the potential initially.
@killer_s (121)
i think vista sidebar use a lot of resource, make your computer slow
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
If using the sidebar affects the spped then you are using minimal resources and would have trouble with some programs with or without the sidebar active.
@suhascg (227)
the only gadget i like is the cpu meter.. it shows your CPU usage and the RAM usage..so you exactly know what your system is doing and how it is performing.. i think that is a very handy gadget, and all the others i think are just for show.. but over all if you can use all the features of vista effeciently, i think it is definitely better than XP..
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
I have tried the CPU meter, but it did not really appeal to me. I suppose the benefit of gadgets is that there are so many that there is likely to be something of interest to all of us.