how to write a cover letter?

@sophialin (2678)
China
i see an employment ad on internet which needs a cover letter with detail CV.well,what's cover letter? how to write it? what should i focus on when write a cover letter? anyone can give me some suggestion? thanks in advance.
@mark17779 (667)
I allway's hate writing covering letter's, especially if it is for a job I have never done before. Basically, like your cv you have to sell yourself. Highlight any relevant expierence and why you would be good for the job if you have no expierence.
@sophialin (2678)
yes i searched on internet and found some good templates of it.i wonder where needs a cover letter other than for a job.so far i only write a cover letter for job.
www.careerbuilder.com has loads of great articles on writing cover letters and resumes. I went there when I had to write a few cover letters about a month ago. Sadly, no job yet though.
@sophialin (2678)
it's pity that i can access the site.anyway,thanks for your recommendation.what about your work now? i'm still a job-hunter.i wish you are better than me.
@jairgirl (2877)
hi simplyshawn, just wonder if you find a job yet. anyway, i dont think careerbuilder is that helpful coz my hubby uses that site (payed as well) for a long time and didnt get a job through them till i decided to join him in www.opsladder.com. (if you are looking for job that is 6 figure salary) it is a payed site but what i did before is to join for the free one and i can browse on some that dont need membership to apply and then wait for the right contact and job that some head hunters submit and then join (i think it cost $30 for a month or so not sure coz it's been awhile). they are very helpful and professional as well and i guess part of it is because they are targeting high paying workers. also you can join in www.linkedin.com coz they have bunch of head hunters there and may help you landing the best job. hope that helps. wish you all the best. takecare
@sophialin (2678)
6 figure salary? that's too perfect.i think that must be experienced worker.
@plumwish07 (4060)
in my own experience, cover letter should tell about you in briefly. cause cover letter is kind of introducing letter of your self. about your age, your graduation and the most important thing, just in my opinion, you should put your strengthness and weakness over there. just make sure that you write your weakness less than your strngthness. Don't forget to put any e-mail and phone number where you available to contact by them
@sophialin (2678)
i'm thinking about the length of cover letter now.what's the proper length? i know it's better to keep it in one page,but it seems kind of difficult since i have to write my strngthness and weakness.
i know its not easy to start it for the first time but believe me, one page of your cover letter is enough for you. its only cover letter dear NOT curriculum vitae and people don't like to write longest cover letter. in my suggestion, why don't you list your strength and your weakness firstly in a sheet of paper. then you can put ranking on there. choose 3 or 5 which have highest rank and put it in your cover letter
@sophialin (2678)
thanks for your advice,plumwish07.after reading all your reponses,i do realize that a cover letter is something important to catch others' attentions.it's not neccessary to be long,but it should be to the point.
you can also find great explanations and samples of cover letter in the link: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverlettersamples/a/coverlettsample.htm
@sophialin (2678)
thanks you my friend,you are always so kind.