Food shelf donations

@jillhill (37383)
The postal workers had their yearly food drive this last saturday. All you had to do was to bag something up and leave it by your mailbox and they picked it up and will distribute it. I had several things I donated out of my own cupboard but sometimes if I know in advance I'll pick up a few special articles at the grocery store to donate. Do you share things right out of your cupboard or do you make a special trip to buy specialty items for your donation?
@ellie333 (21029)
Hi Jill we don't have that in the UK but I do receive charity bags through the post box which I fill with articles. I think this food one though is an excellent idea and I would go to the shops and buy up the buy on get one free deals and donate these plus any extras I had in the cupboard. Ellie:D
@jillhill (37383)
It is a good idea...some people just don't get enough money to buy what they need. When I go to the store though..sometimes I buy special treats or something hoping they go to a child that wouldn't normally get them because they are too expensive. It feels good to give to those who don't have as much doesn't it? Thanks for posting Ellie!
@ellie333 (21029)
Thanks Jill, The great think about giving is that in some way it does come back an example of this was yesterday my friends daughter gave her a pair of shoes, I didn't know this and turned up with three pairs of shoes my daughter had given to me to see if they would fit my friends daughter, so sje received back threfold, LOL. I don't give to receive but just thought I'd share that one as we had a giggle over it at the time. Ellie :D
@carolbee (16241)
We share items from our pantry. We generally have alot of canned soup and veggies so we do donate them. I think it's such a nice program and we are always glad to help others who need help.
@jillhill (37383)
It feels good to share doesn't it!
@tyc415 (5706)
I normally just get things out of my pantry for the postal workers and for the boyscouts when they gather food items. I forgot all about it saturday since my daughter and grandson come in to surprise me for Mother's Day so I missed out giving this time.
@jillhill (37383)
Ah....there is always next time. Thanks for sharing!
@minnie_98214 (10572)
I just clean out my kitchen to donate stuff we wont eat and stuff we just have too much of. I have visited the food shelf a few times myself so i dont have the money to buy foods to donate.
@jillhill (37383)
What ever works they surely enjoy getting things they need. Thanks Minnie!
@jer31558 (3683)
We have done both, Like you, if we know in advance we may pick up a few things from the grocery. We have also done the same for people that we knew to be in need of food items.
@jillhill (37383)
That's wonderful! Thanks for posting!