Flowers or Rabbit Food?

Phloxx - rabbits love it
@webeishere (36377)
I have a problem with rabbits and their appetities and likes for my Phloxx and Lilies. This phloxx shows the leaves and stems munched on today. Is there anything in the ordinary household that can be used to deter them from eating the plants? Also what is a good product I can get at Home Depot or a Nursery etc that will stop them from eating them? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@DonnaLawson (4032)
I am sure there is something good that could be recommended by Home Depot or a nursery but I am not sure what they would be.. I am having the same trouble with my rose bushes, the leaves are all gone, in just a couple of days time, the beautiful leaves that were showing how great the bush was going to look when it did bloom, have all been eaten.. I don't have any advice but I am also going to check with Home Depot for this..
@webeishere (36377)
Last year a few of my Lilies were bald on the stem. A 2 foot tall stem with a flower topping it off but not a single leaf. the rabbits ate them all. Thanks. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@mummymo (23709)
I know there were certain things my Grandad used to use and I cannot remember them - I even tried to phone my brother to see if he remembered but he is a policeman and on shift! I know that my grandad used to use mesh nets to protect some plants from rabbits and birds - I even ussed to help make them with him! - can't remember for the life of me how it was done but I do remember sitting watching tv and making nets! Hope you find something to stop them! xxx
@webeishere (36377)
I prefer no fence or netting etc as this is in the front yard and I like the apperance without blocking it etc for others to see as the drive, walk, or bike by the house. When ya find out let me know? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM AGB!!~
@mummymo (23709)
Sorry AGB I got caught up with other things last night and I never got the chance to call him - I will try tonight! xxxx
@blackbriar (9126)
The only sure fire way to stop them from eating your flowers is a fence at least 2' tall. Marigolds are a living repellent as well. They sure keep those critters out of my garden and my carrots thank me for planting them. lol
@webeishere (36377)
marigolds huh? Guess I may try that then. At least they will look nice. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@webeishere (36377)
Well I bought a flat to try in the flower beds. I have a discussion about it as well. HAHAHA!! HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
• Marion, Kansas
I would put hot sauce in a sprayer and spray my flowers. My neighbor always said he would just plant one for him, one for the birds, and one for the animals. I do not know of any chemical repellent. I have heard that some animals shy away from blood meal, and that enriches your soil as well.
@webeishere (36377)
I've seen spray repellants for rabbits but it is costly is the problem. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
Other than getting pesticides and I'm not even sure those would work, you might be able to talk to the produce manager at your local Wal-mart or any grocery store and see about getting their old lettuce and such. Make a trail leading away from your flowers to another spot and see if that helps. The only other thing I can think of would be a fence and that gets expensive. Not to mention the fact that you don't want a fence around your flowers, I'm sure.