Can We Have a Civil Debate?

MyLot, the one site on the 'net that people can come from across the globe, share opinions, and get paid for it. When we have so many people, from so many different cultures, there's bound to be disagreements. Debate is healthy, and welcome here on this website. Wehn two people disagree about something, a well thought-out debate can bring new insight to a subject, and make a discussion exciting and lively. The problems come in whe people start attacking one another personally for having a view different that their own. These people may think themselves clever, but this practice actually shows ignorance; instead of stating a valid point for their side of the argument, they take the easy route and attack a person's character. I know these people will always be around, and most won't pay any attention to this post. But for the few that did take the time to read this, here is the message: The next time you come across a discussion that you disagree with, before you jump in and start calling the poster every name in the book except the one their mother gave them, try this instead; figure out why you disagree with them, find some information to support your reason, and post that instead. Not only will you earn more for that than a derogatory post, but you won't offend a fellow MyLotter, and you may bring to attention a view that wasn't thought of before, not only for the poster, but others that see your response. In the end, you create a better experience for everyone here.
@zweeb82 (5713)
Totally agree & I like the way you put it ....except the one their mother gave them, hahahaSome people are just plain contentious & love fightsIf their really not interested & don't agree, I would say the best way is get lost!~ Don't even reply to the discussion!~ Because sometimes there's pure shallow stuff being posted that's not even worth our effort to respond & debating with them. Some are just purely response fetchers so they can gain more $$
You are so right, furthermore I wish there were a way to ban these rabblerousers who love starting arguments, but unfortunately they have just as much right to be here as the people that actually contribute to this site, at least until admin gets a hold of them.
@zweeb82 (5713)
Yeah, there's actually no way of getting rid of them until admin acts, that is "if" & only "when" seeing there are so many of them. Anyway I believe we've got better things to do than to entertain such time wasting nonsense
@uath13 (8206)
Great advice. If I was going to attack someone I'm sure I could come up with something better than names to use... Something of a large sharp pointy metal persuasion possibly.
Now that's not the reason I put this discussion here U. But you are right about the mode of attack. If you simply have to hurt someone, don't you think that facts supporting the opposing opinion would hurt way more than a nameless, faceless person from across the globe calling you names? A person who has never met you and knows nothing of your lifestyle. See, when you get to calling names, there is a larger chance that the person won't be hurt because it simply doesn't describe them; but if you are using facts to denounce their view on something, the facts are indisputable.
@whyaskq (7532)
I agree with you though I feel the disturbed is in the minority curve. You do offer good suggestions. All it needs is for each and everyone of us to be considerate and try to think from another angle and respect each other views.
it's just like emerald said, if you take the time to put your views on this site, and back them up with solid facts, you may not change the opposing sides mind, but you may open it to another possibility.
@julyteen (13259)
• Davao, Philippines
this could be happen because we have different views in every aspect of our lives. debate is good be you take personally the dispute. mylot admin will intervened if you attacked someone because of his/her point of view. i am careful now on my post that no one will hurt about it.
This doesn't happen because of different views, this happens because of ignorance. If you have different views than another, you can post them without attacking the person themself. MyLot tries to keep the attacks under control, but how can you control a population of over 133K? They go by what is reported to them, and when they have the chance to look into the report. Its truly up to us to solve the ignorance, and not feed into it. Most of us are adults here anyway, shouldn't we be able to conduct debates without attacking a person's character?
@emeraldisle (13145)
I happen to love a good debate. As you stated it can show a different view and perhaps cause others to see things in a way they never thought of. They might not change their stance on an issue but it might get them thinking. To me that is what I like, to think about something, to try and come up with a way to present how I feel or think on an issue. I like that and enjoy it. It's fun to me. I just wish more here would do that instead of attacking the person. I've had that happen a number of times. Instead of debating the issue or trying to defend their position they lash out to attack my character. It's not needed and in my opinion just shows they have no real ground work to stand on for their view point. They don't know how to defend it at all so they strike out thinking that makes them look better.
The bad part about this is that it really makes them look silly instead of smarter. It shows their ignorance in a subject when they start attacking a persons character instead of coming back with facts to back up your position.
@slickcut (8141)
I couldn't agree more..I think what you said makes a lot of sense...I wish everybody that reads this will be able to give their opinions without attacting each other..Its always going to be people who disagee,but we can always agree to disagree,without a fight...Thank you for opening this discussion...
You are very welcome. I hope I reach some of these people who like to do this. I got the idea last week right before I had to wipe my computer. I saw a discussion about someone attacking another person on here unnecessarily. This needs to stop. We need to come together and share in the great site we have here, not bring it down by flinging mud at each other. Its like a t-shirt I saw before, only I will paraphrase it to fit the situation. "The only time A MyLotter should look down on another MyLotter, is to give them a hand up."
@skinnychick (6907)
Well said my friend!!!