Spelling-Does It Make A Difference?

By JJ
@myklj999 (13786)
Olney, Illinois
Does spelling play any part in the discussions you chose to respond to? I hate to say it, but I'll be honest; if I see a discussion that the title interests me, but then I find the discussion details to be full of spelling errors or bad syntax, I will usually bypass that discussion. (I'm not talking one or two misspelled words; I'm talking a whole slew of them.) I really don't know why I am this way, but I just noticed it today. What about you? Do spelling and grammar have anything to do with what discussions you respond to and those you just pass on?
Good point. I've been feeling this way for a little bit now. I don't usually discriminate discussions just by how to poster spells, or how good his/her grammar is. although, it would be nice to see all of the bad grammar turn into good grammar. Anyone else? ~Noodlebrain0
@Mrchikeh (53)
Listen,my dear myloter-"no one is an island";and if you can remember properly,our life is made up of relationships-relationship with our creator,with ourselves,with felloe humans and with our world. We all require assistance at leaset to some extent.Ignoring a discussion cos of grammatical error,or,as it is,spelling mistake should be seenin my view,as a poor way to display our so called intellectual prowess.Why do you call yourself a friend if you cannot help someone to improve.I'm not criticizing here,but just to remind us of something we often take forgranted. By loving and caring one becomes lovable.If we give God and others their right place in our lives,we shall be granted the right place,too. Anyway,I respond to discussions I feel I have something to offer irrespective of the grammatical agreement.Some have poor English up-bringing while some are from none-English speaking coutries.So lets help them polish their English.We do not need praise for this,OK!
@myklj999 (13786)
• Olney, Illinois
Forgive me if I sound rude here, but what exactly does God have to do with this conversation?
@dfollin (12744)
Excuse me,but I have to say this God has to do with everything! God created everything,think about it. About 6 or 7 years ago,my father-in-law told me that he did not like it that when the football players made a touchdown that they prayed and thanked God,that God doesn't have anything to do with football.I told him like I stated to you above that God has to do with everything! And,he looked at me kind of funny,this was a christian man in his 80's.And I told him to think about it,God gave them the talent to make that touchdown.God brought these people here for a reason and we should appreciate it.God has a reason for everything.
@myklj999 (13786)
• Olney, Illinois
dfollin- God has nothing to do with this conversation. Please-go read the myLot discussion guidelines, then come back if you have anything relevant to say to this discussion about spelling and grammar.
I have to admit, if I see a discussion that is only one sentence that is nothing but misspelled words, I'll skip it. There are too many of those here now. One senetence discussions with nothing but misspelled words, even in the title. I hate it. If you're going to post here, at least learn to spell like a civilized person. I know we all make mistakes, and we all make typo's, but it seems like some of these people just don't want to make any type of effort at all.
@myklj999 (13786)
• Olney, Illinois
I myself make the occasional typo- I have a discussion where I posted after using spell check (which said it was fine) but didn't actually proof-read it and ended up being a discussion about "same-sax" marriages.
Haha wow, I'd like to know how same-sax marriages worked!
@myklj999 (13786)
• Olney, Illinois
Well, there are alto saxes and tenor saxes. An alto is also a female singer (with a lower voice range) and a tenor is a male singer (with a higher voice range) so I guess tenors marrying tenors and altos marrying altos still makes sense.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I react the very same way. It is fine to encounter a few bad spellings because it could easily be a typing error, but consistant poor spelling or grammar is a deterent to me. I appreciate that many Mylot members are using english as a second language, which totally justifies the spelling and grammar issues, but it does make communication difficult and clumsy.
@dodoguy (1297)
Hi myklj999, I agree that it's a turn-off when a poster makes a lot of errors in their spelling or grammar. Spelling errors I can partly accept, because mistyping a letter here or there on a grotty, worn-out old keyboard is easy to do. What's more, it depends on where you're from as to how certain words are spelled. British and American spelling differs on heaps of words, and myLot's spellcheck often can't cope with that (in fact, it occasionally even gets the spelling completely wrong). As for proper sentence structure and grammar, etc, I'll forgive a syntactic mess if it's posted by someone from a non-English speaking background. But like you, I'd tend to skip a post that clearly shows laziness and sloth on the part of someone who should really know better. And in my opinion, it's not hard to pick the difference between what's written by someone who is trying hard and someone who's just trying to be "cool" or is just not making any effort.
@jrum68 (214)
That's well put. If it's obviously someone who is from a non-English speaking country I do my best to figure out what they are trying to say. That doesn't bother me either.
@TAPARIA (314)
I don't really care about spellings. There are many members of mylot who are from non english speaking countries and they may make speeling mistakes or grammatical errors. I just ignore it and concentrate on what that person wants to convey. I myself also don't care much about spelling while posting. I dont always put proper punctuation marks and always avoid capitalization after fullstop and for nowns.
@hcpoirot (1562)
If most of the spellings are wrong or the topic discussion really had words that I cannot understand, i had to pass that discussion. Probably the topic starter just did not know how to make a proper sentences.
@jrum68 (214)
Oh man, that kills me. I'm the same way, a couple misspellings here and there are fine, but when an entire message is misspelled or when someone misspells the same word everytime they type it, it gets very annoying. I have a friend who I email and IM almost daily and she misspells alot. My biggest pet peeves as far as that are things like, "your" when it's supposed to be "you're", "there" when it's supposed to be "they're", "than" instead of "then", etc... Now that I said all of that, I hope I didn't misspell anything!
@callarse1 (4793)
I agree to disagree with what you wrote (no offense as I will explain my point of view, okay?), if I think the discussion is interesting and the user has tried his/her best to write the discussion, then yes I will reply. It is hard to use another language (many people are learning English as a second/third/fourth language) so obviously grammar, syntax, and spelling errors will occur. What I do agree with you, I don't respond to short discussions (usually) when they have lots of grammar errors or it's one sentence discussion. It's against the rules here so I choose not to respond. However, you are correct on the fact that if you feel like you don't understand clearly what the user says then you choose not to respond. That is your right and you are free to respond to what discussion you like. Have a wonderful day. Pablo
@myklj999 (13786)
• Olney, Illinois
I make allowances for people who don't speak English as their primary tongue. I can understand misspelling and bad syntax and grammar from people like that. But it just drives me nuts to see someone who should know English to have several words misspelled or used improperly. Don't know why I am that way, but I am.
@callarse1 (4793)
Oh I see, yes it is especially annoying when in "SMS" (text message) format. For example "u evr bn 2 the stor?" That is very bad and of course usually doesn't get many responses. Cheers Pablo
@Emiese (994)
• Sweden
I have to say it depends on a few things. Firstly the topic of discussion. If I think it is interesting I'll still post a comment. I also think there is a difference if there is someone that obviously doesn't know English very well but is trying. Then I normally respond, because the only way to improve your language (when you can't hear or talk it) is to see how it is written. If people on the other hand are to lazy to write the words out or complete real sentences then I definitely won't bother. Why should I put time and effort into posting a comment when they themselves don't spend any time and effort on their writing?
In your response I find where you said "Why should I put time and effort into posting a comment when they themselves don't spend any time and effort on their writing?" to absolutely hit the nail on the head! That is EXACTLY how I feel.
@Emiese (994)
• Sweden
Thank you!
@ynigz1 (472)
Don't know what to say, my english is not so good. But if for my native language, I don't like to see the post which is full of mistakes.
@MsTickle (24962)
Your English here looks pretty good to me.
myklj no I do not as i myself have had errors that I missed and I do have compassion on my fellow mylotters so I do not just look at a discussion and immediately pick it to pieces because of some typos. very few of us unless we are professional typists who do this for a living are perfect typists. as for language very few of'us are english teachers either. lighten up a bit. we have a lot of people here for whom english is their second language so give them and us who are typing challenged a bit of a break.The meaning of the discussion is more important to me than a few errors here and there. some people are very hard to please.
@myklj999 (13786)
• Olney, Illinois
"some people are very hard to please." I simply made an observation that if I see numerous spelling errors and such, I tend to pass a conversation up. "I do not just look at a discussion and immediately pick it to pieces because of some typos." Neither do I; but suddenly I see you trying to pick mine to pieces. I don't know what's up with you; I didn't say anything about "I think these people are ignorant" or "I think these people should go away" or anything of that nature, and yet you come here and basically berate me for a harmless conversation in which I asked if anyone else was bothered by these things. I'd say you need to lighten up a little, perhaps.
@theprogamer (10539)
Sometimes it does. There are times I think, well this person can't spell many of the words right, I might be dealing with a putz (it has happened like this before, even recently). On the other hand, English isn't everyone's first language. Errors can occur that way, but even in people who have English as their first language. In the end, I try to see what is being said. Help threads, I'll ignore spelling/grammar. Political threads, you'll be held to standard...maybe even ignored.
Hmmmm....talking about typo's and especially in newspapers (though I know you didn't mention newspapers early on, MYKLJ). I was reading my hometown newspaper and saw a heading that mentioned marital laws. I wondered in which country these marital laws were. Well, I was reading along and it didn't make sense. It had absolutely nothing to do with any marital laws. The article was about MARTIAL laws!! Getting 2 letters turned around in one word can put a whole different spin on something.
If people cannot comunicate well enough to get their topic across then how can we answer them and give them the answer they so desperately need. No, I do not answer peoples topics that have misspellings. I am a writer and editor and this is a big gripe with me. When I see a piece of work that has misspellings in it I pass right over it. I think it shows a lack of professionalism and a lack of caring that only hurts them in the long run. They probably won't get as many responses as they would like.
@Mamagee (392)
I'll response to the discussion I'm interested. I don't care about the spelling errors or grammers. I myself have a mistake too, soo i should understand why other people have a mistake.
I am exactly the same way you are, I'll pass them up for some reason. I have always loved spelling and find myself correcting misspelled words everywhere I look. I have noticed though, that the older I get, the worse I get about spelling words correctly. If I can find my dictionary, I'll look it up before I guess and spell it wrong. My brain tells me that several misspellings indicate less intelligence, oh, that sounds so mean. But, I can't get past the jumbled letters that destroy a good topic. Just being honest.
Yes, I have the same opinion as you do, myklj999. I think I am this way because spelling was emphasized in my schooling and I am very disappointed that it is not emphasized nowadays in school. In fact, I was a spelling whiz. I used to win competitions regularly and represented my school as their best speller reguarly.
@dfollin (12744)
Dictionary - A book that has information a words.
First,I think spelling has to do with the rating of our pay,but for our own writting not who we are responding to.There are many people here from many countries who do not speak or write english well.I do have a problem with people that migrate to my country,which is the USA and don't learn basic english to work and have basic communication with us.However myLot is a multicultural site.Even people from the USA do not have perfect spelling and grammar.When I was in school I got "A"'s in English.But,on the news now I have seen some things that are different then what I learned and my older children,who are now adults have learned.For example,a story about a person who commited a crime,the reporter says,that the person "pleaded" guilty.Well,I learned it was "plead" guilty.And there are some other grammar issues too.Therefore what might be propper grammar to one might not be for the other.I do not reply or comment on a discussion,because the spelling or grammar is not great.
• Southend-On-Sea, England
I do the same as you, though I'm more tolerant of bad grammar/spelling if English is somebody's 2nd language. For those of us whose first language is English, I mostly skip something that's very badly presented. I can't be bothered to wade through the piece trying to work out what the person means. Like you say, the odd one or two mis-spellings are perfectly OK, but when the whole piece is a total mish-mash of "text-talk", I really don't want to read it, no matter how interesting the content might be.