What's the worst and best moments you've had with Diabetes?

@marina321 (4561)
I got diagnosed recently with Type1 and really worried when I read about the complications. Does anyone have any stories to share with a newbie at this? What's the best and worst that has happened to you?
I have been a diabetic for many years but myworst moment was taking avandia and getting swollen legs, gaining forty five pounds in two weeks, breaking my shoulder, and getting anemia all side effects of avandia my best moments are now being in the best control ever with metaformin and glyburide as my meds. good luck and keepsmiling also check your blood sugar oftenso You are in good control.
@marina321 (4561)
Thanks for the advice, was wondering if your swollen legs stopped and what was the problem with them as I have had this for a long time even before being diagnosed but now a bit more worried about it. They will do some tests for the kidneys in general diabetes checks, what did your doctor say? Was it due to the meds?
@rsa101 (13886)
• Quezon City, Philippines
I am doing well with Avandia these past few years. the only side effect I remembered when I first took it was that there was a sudden dropped in my sugar that I almost ended up hypoglycemic but my body did cope up after several doses of it . To this day I am using this medication and has made my sugar levels at bay and has not shoot up ever since.
well i myself haven't had any problems with diabetes...but my father was just diagnosed with it. and he had a really bad accident. he suddenly lost his abillity to stand and ended up falling...not passing out...falling to the ground. i was at work at the time but it was bad. he ended up in the hospital for four days till they could figure out what the heck was wrong with him
@rsa101 (13886)
• Quezon City, Philippines
That is really bad. I guess in your dad's condition it was detected a little late and it has already taken its toll already. As for me I was diagnosed when my sugar levels has just reached a little over the borderline. It was even detected unexpectedly when I was rushed to the hospital for high fever. After all the test done only one showed very high my sugar was the culprit. Now I never had bad experience with the disease. But, I know sometime in the near future it may come and haunt me back in my older years.
@rsa101 (13886)
• Quezon City, Philippines
I am diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes almost a couple of years already. So far this has been my second year and I have my sugar under control for the past year. I just am hoping that I could make it at bay in the meantime that my health is rather in good condition with the help of some medication. So far the technique I have right now is to think positive and I think less that I have the disease though I am aware of my condition I keep that as that and don't worry too much about it. I do regular check ups and taking of medications that is prescribed for me by my doctor. Keeping watch of my weight and diet helps too. Although I am not an exercise buff I see to it I do have some physical activity that could burn my calories in the end.
@marina321 (4561)
Thanks for the advice. I have jumped right on the fitness and healthy eating wagons again. I have found long walks to keep my BG levels down so I will keep up with it and now incorporated it in my 'school runs.' You are right about thinking positive and as soon as I started to, felt a lot better. Week 3 with diabetes is looking a lot more positive and happy than Week 1. Cheers
@rsa101 (13886)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Yeah thanks for choosing my response as best response. I do believe that if we were diagnosed earlier the better it gives us time to rethink our way of life and how we deal better with our bodies. I think thinking positively has also an impact on how our bodies responds to our emotional state that is why we should always think positive at all times and just be happy what you have.
@eihdra (3116)
hi marina..are you injecting insulin or just the capsules for maintenance? I'm a type II and also on a diet and metformin as maintenance. I was diagnosed a few years ago when I had a miscarriage. Only then that I learned that I became a diabetic. I need to lose weight appropriate for my height and exercise more often to keep my metabolism ran a little faster so as to keep me from gaining weight again. For women wanting to get pregnant, they should always check their blood sugar because if not, there will be many complications and the pregnancy might be terminated. The second time I got pregnant, my sugar was controlled but instead of drinking the capsules, I had to inject insulin 3x a day. It's coz the capsules would hurt the fetus but insulin would go straight to my bloodstream avoiding the baby. It was hard because for 9 months, I injected but I had no choice because I really wanted to have a healthy baby. My advice to you is to maintain your sugar controlled and also check 2 hours after each meal. So that you would know which food causes your sugar to increase and decrease. Stay fit !!
@marina321 (4561)
Thanks Eihdra for the advice, I am injecting insulin twice a day at the moment and I am getting the hang of things now as it is almost 3 weeks since I was diagnosed. I have a daily monitoring diary and checking before and after meals. I look forward to good news at my next review in about 3 weeks as I am working hard exercising and eating healthy. Best thing is my little girl is chipping in helping me check my BG levels which is so cute; she says it's 'time to do mummy's medicine'. On that note, I think we'll cope just fine:)
@eihdra (3116)
That's so cute, your kid helping you...My eldest did that too and was so proud...Just stick to the regimen and please dont forget to inject and monitor...may there be good news on your next visit to the doc..
I almost had diabetes, my sugar was between diabetic and almost... so they had to test my blood every morning if my sugar went down and i was banned from eating any sweets, no exemptions and i had to drink this thing that they said came from a tree's bark...