Plenty of Fish in the Sea...

Ok, this may sound weird, but I think of some pretty far out things sometimes. I was having some coffee this morning whilst watching a show on the Discovery Channel about underwater life. A school of smaller fish were being chased by a larger fish, and eventually the larger fish got one of the smaller ones and ate it. I wonder if that type of event scars a fish for life, like it would scar a small child for life to see one of their parents getting murdered, or something? I mean, I know animals have feelings, and go through different emotions, etc. But to what extent? Does trauma like that affect them the same way it affects humans? What do you think?
@mentalward (14697)
From what I understand from reading about fish, they have a memory of about 3 seconds. So a scar like that might last a lifetime, but it would only be 3 seconds in their little minds.
Really?? Only three seconds?? Geez, talk about short term meory... lol
@mentalward (14697)
It's true! My husband works with a guy whom he has been trying to train and the poor guy just doesn't get it. My husband calls him "Fishy Boy" (not to anyone but me) just because of the fish memory thing. I think it's hilarious.
@paid2write (5202)
I don't think a fish could feel emotion so it would not suffer from the trauma of seeing one of its kind being eaten. I think they know by instinct that they have to avoid preditors and they stay together in large numbers because it is safer than swimming alone. I think this 'knowledge' is programmed into their little brains, they do not have to think about it. I think larger animals like whales and dolphins may suffer more. We know they use a kind of language to communicate with each other, so they could feel sad at the loss of one of their own kind.