Shelters over ran with pit - bulls, whats the solution

So I have decided to start looking to get a dog from a shelter. Help an animal in need. So instead of going down to the animal shelter I decided to look at my local animal shelter online because I do not drive and my local shelter is kind of far from me. And I knew that the P.S.P.C.A. actually lists their adoptable dogs online. Well I must say when I went to the site it made me so depressed. All the shelters in my area are over ran with pit-bulls. They are basically the only type of dog in the shelters. I am not against pits at all. I believe any dog is capable of snapping at any time. At the moment pits just have a bad rep because of a few irresponsible owners. But my thoughts are if there are so many pure bred pits in a shelter in a certain state, shouldn't the number of pits that a person in that particular state lives be limited. Apparently the breed is extremely over bred which is the cause of so many unwanted. I am not saying that the breed should be banned altogether, but I do feel that a person in my state should only be able to own 2 pits - bulls at most and that they should have to be spayed or neutered to help bring down the number of unwanted pit pups that end up in shelters. What is your feeling on the whole pit bull issue? is your state shelters over ran with pits as well? Something needs to be done in these states where the shelters are over ran with these poor dogs. What would be your suggestion?
@hellcowboy (7383)
Thats really sad,and I feel bad for all the poor pit bulls and I dont know what could be done about it,but I wish someone would adopt them all and give them all a good home.
It is a pretty big problem, but these things go in cycles as a particular breed gets popular, overbred, and then the defects that come with bad breeding are revealed and the popularity declines (and shelter numbers climb). It happened with dalmations not that long ago thanks to the Disney remake. Unfortunatly, since pits can be so fierce if they do "snap" it is a bigger problem than with most dogs. Many cities and counties won't even adopt out pits that have been siezed or brought to the shelter because they are afraid it will attack someone down the road. They end up just putting the dog to sleep, even if it hasn't shown any agression. The idea of limiting the number of dogs a person can own is fine, but it does require there be some way of monitoring this, and there really isn't. Most people are just "backyard breeding" these dogs in poorer neighborhoods to make a quick buck because they are considered a status dog that shows how tough the owner is, regardless if they use them to fight or not. The people breeding these dogs do not register them or usually have a license for them, so no government agency can keep track of what they are doing. Only if someone complains that they are keeping too many dogs will the law step in. Naturally, if you adopt one from a shelter they require you to neuter the dog, regardless of the breed. I just wish more people would take responsibility for thier pets gotten from other sources, too.
Your right The whole limiting the number is a nice thought but it would be hard to actually enforce this law. And they are a status dog. Usually you see big men walking these dogs. They want that fierce looking dog by their side. You made such good points. Especially with irresponsible breeders who only breed for all the wrong reason - the almighty dollar. Thanks for your response.