Two embarrassing buggy incidents - what would you have done?

@liquorice (3901)
I was out with my daughter today shopping for a few things and two embarrassing things happened. The first was in a shoe shop. I was trying on some shoes and I'd put the buggy in what I though was an unobtrusive place which seemed pretty much out of the way of other customers, although the shop is quite small so it was hard to know where the best place was. Well another customer nearby took a few steps backwards, she didn't see us or the buggy, and she tripped backwards over the buggy and practically fell into it. (Luckily my daughter wasn't in there at the time!) I felt really bad and was apologising and asking if she was ok, but she was so embarrassed that she just moved away from us as quickly as she could without saying a word! I didn't really feel as if there was much I could do in this situation, I was just glad she wasn't hurt. The second incident was when we were waiting for the bus to get home. Our bus came and there were lots of people besides us waiting to get on. As it takes a while for me to get on with the buggy I wanted to just wait for other people to get on first so we didn't keep them all waiting. So we were just standing there while others were stepping on. A young guy saw this situation and started shouting at the other passengers, saying things like "Can't you see she's got a baby? You're all pushing on first? I think you're all DISGUSTING!" - and lots more besides. I obviously didn't need him to 'stand up for me' in this way and didn't know how to react! The other passengers looked quite ashamed and apologetic, but I just felt embarrassed and tried not to look at anybody. After all, I hadn't actually made any effort to get on the bus ahead of them and hadn't intended to! I didn't want to start explaining all of this in front of a bus-load of people and didn't want to p-off the guy who probably thought he was doing a good public duty... What would you have done? Have you been 'that guy' before? (My husband said he probably would've done the same thing as him!!!!)
@hellcowboy (7383)
It sucks that those incidents happened to you,and I think if I was that guy,I would have done the same thing,because I think if you have babies you should get to go ahead of the rest of the crowd.
@liquorice (3901)
Thanks for your reply and your sympathy! It's nice that you'd be gentlemanly and try to help, and you've provided me with another way of looking at it. I suppose because I have this buggy with me I think of it as a burden to other people wanting to get on the bus and I worry about getting in their way and slowing them down. Maybe I should stop worrying so much, and maybe people should automatically let those with babies (and also disabled people) get on the bus first and be prepared to wait a bit before getting on themselves. Everyone's always in such a rush here, I suppose it's the mentality that people just rush on, and I'm used to waiting until last!
well im not a gentleman more like a gentle woman and i wouldve done the same thing, thier has been times that i see a parent struggling i will help, and thiers nothing to be embarressed about we live in a world were babies and buggys are every where. im a mom myself, people can so foolish they forget that the once were parents to ( if they have children) and it doest hurt to help some one else. as far as the lady in the shoe store she should have been more careful herself as to were she was stepping you always have to pay attention to your surroundings.
@liquorice (3901)
Thanks for your answer. It's nice to know that there are good, caring citizens in this world, and it's lovely that you'd help a struggling parent. On this occasion however, I wasn't struggling, and I'd chosen to let the other people get on the bus first so that I didn't feel pressurised to rush us on so as to not hold everyone else up. But I suppose the fact that no-one actually offered to let me get on first is quite a sad state of affairs, and I understand where you're coming from. With the shoe shop lady I automatically felt bad as it was my buggy she tripped over, but I agree, she should've been looking where she was going!