Abortion - What's the Time Limit in your Country?

@GreenMoo (11842)
This is not intended to be a discussion about the rights and wrongs, the ethics or the morals of abortion. Please do share your thoughts though on those if you'd like to. In the UK the time limit for elective abortions is currently 24 weeks, though there is a move at the moment to try and reduce that. It got me thinking about the subject, and I realised that I don't know how that time limit compares with elsewhere in the world. So, what's the time limit for elective abortions in your country? Does it vary from state to state in the US as some other laws do?
@dragon54u (31653)
In the U.S. anyone can abort their baby up until birth. They've recently outlawed the "partial birth" abortion method, thank goodness.
Er, I've always thought that, and been told that, abortion past 24 weeks (in most states... because American law is set partially by the state and not central government you have to look at each state rather than just the country) was only done to preserve the life of the mother or if the foetus would be born with life threatening conditions.
@dragon54u (31653)
There are ways to get around that. If a doctor says that the baby endangers the mental health of the mother she can have it killed. That's a big loophole that many take advantage of. There are some states that adhere to the 24 week limit but a woman can travel to another state if she wants to get rid of her baby. Also, if there's a chance the baby might have Down Syndrome of some other disorder the mother is also allowed to kill it.
No, I'm pretty sure, looking at the wiki info, that abortions beyond 24 weeks are only allowed for the physical health of the mother, or horrendous conditions like icthyosis. She can go to a different state, yes. Do you know how much that costs?
UK - still 24 weeks! The vote to lower it was lost
@GreenMoo (11842)
I haven't looked at the news today, but aren't they still voting on some alternative time limits?
@GreenMoo (11842)
Shard, the BR is for the excellent debate lower down the page. Thanks for taking the time to contribute so much to it! When I started this discussion I hadn't actually realised you'd got one on the go so similar. Must check next time
Oh, thank you :) As for having similar threads. I think ours were different enough. *can't remember what her own was exactly* This is such a controversial issue, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of threads about it on MyLot alone. There's gonna be overlap. And as the MP's were voting it was a hot topic in Britain... so minds were on it.
@Pescoe (101)
Being from a catholic country, abortion is banned in our country...I am totally against abortion.
@GreenMoo (11842)
Thanks for taking part. I see you're from the Phillipines. If you don't mind my asking, do women who wish to abort despite the law there travel overseas to do so (as Irish women travelled to England) or do they find illegal abortionists at home?