Get me from the Church on time

@p1kef1sh (45640)
In a moment of mindless boredom I have just spent ten minutes watching an Australian soap opera where there was a wedding taking place. Now whilst I am open minded about relationships I like a good wedding. However, as this was a soap wedding, there was bound to be a complication. Sue enough there was. They loved each other, but she had forgotten her lines and he took that as a sign that her heart just wasn't in it and stopped the whole ceremony. Cut to dazed and confused vicar and stunned audience all of whom will have some little part to play in the ensuing story-line. My experience of weddings is that actually the bride and groom bit usually runs quite well. It's the relationship afterwards that causes the problems. I know of nobody that has been jilted at the altar Do you?
@skinnychick (6907)
That is one thing I can say that I haven't been witness to. I would like to see it one of these days. I wouldn't put it past some of my unmarried friends to be the runaway bride.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
LOL. But not you Skinny eh?
LOL!! Nope not me, I actually did the deed once and backed out a few years later. Maybe I should have ran instead. Oh well, lesson learned.
@CanadaGal (4304)
Come to think of it, I don't personally know anyone who's been jilted at the altar either. I know at my wedding to nuckfuts, I was almost certain that when the pastor asked the guests, "Is there anyone here who believes that this couple should not be united in holy matrimony?", I figured at least a few people would stand up and say, "NO! DON'T DO IT KAREN!!!!". But that never happened. I'm curious to know what would've happened if it had. Hmmmmm???
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I think that we all wonder if someone is going to say that. I've never heard it happen though. If it had happened to me I would have carried on, albeit somewhat embarrassed that someone had said something like that. and I'll bet that most other people would do so too.
@CanadaGal (4304)
Ah... but would the minister continue? I wonder what the protocol is for that? I have a few Lutheran minister friends, and I could message them on facebook to find out what the protocol is if that happens during a wedding ceremony. I think I'll do that, and get back to you on here when I get a reply.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Oh yes please do. I'd be fascinated to know.
@ruby222 (4848)
Go how i wished i only did!!!..just imagine being there at that altar...and waiting..and then to be jilted!!!!the shock of it ..well ..say no more...but it only happens in soap operas..the last one i remember was Sarah and Jason in Corrie...he jilted her!...The answer is to it ..dear piky..dont watch and then you wont be all put out...I was late for my wedding ...but thats normal...Mr Ruby thought he had got away..god bless him....but I still have him in my clutches..poor duck...Went to Belper the other day by the way...a nice little place it is too....hope the fishys bit for you that day..... While im here...Good luck Manchester United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Once you have us Ruby there is no escape. We just have to do our best. As Nannacrocodiles says - "know our place". We do you know, that's why we are still here. Mind you, the love of a good woman helps. Wives too! LOL. Belper wasn't a fishing place, it was a Granny place. When she was 95 my Granny decided to move to an Anglican convent in Belper, where she spent the next six years, almost. She was just short of her 101st birthday when she got the call that her room was ready upstairs. I have to confess my ignorance. Manchester United? Then are abit further North. Are they playing tonight. I am not a fan. Although I usually watch the World Cup Final or other England matches. I become something of an expert during these matches. My cry of "Where's Bobby. Where's Nobby?" endears me no end to the football fanatics in the family. My nephew is Press Officer for Leyton Orient and has given up trying to explain modern day football to me. Anyway, if it helps - "Up the Reds".
@ruby222 (4848)
Up the wot??!!!!..now cut that out now Piky..rofl....Oh that sounds so sweet about your anglican granny....I so wanted to be a nun you know...and thats perfectly true..but i just fell head over heels in love...and im afraid that Jesus took a back seat....So sorry re the mess up ..but im sure you were fishing that day..maybe for gossip..not cod...Its United they are playing..yes...against Chelsea..just to keep you up to speed....
@ruby222 (4848)
LOL when we were younger we thought we had the monopoly on `you know what`...and now its our kids that think they have the monopoly!!Which of course is complete rubbish...My grandmother met Grandfather married and lived together..he had moved from Whitehaven in search of work..at the time of the depression..he found work at Hickleton main colliery..then they took in a lodger..also from Whitehaven ..who went to work at the same pit..well the three of them got along famously in more ways than one..and the menage a trois worked wonderfully for years until Grandad passed away...then there was just Gran and my Uncle...I knew nothing of this until i was a lot older..and lol i was gobsmacked!!...to think of my Granny being such a passionate woman...well..
@suehan1 (4355)
no i have never seen anyone jilted at the altar.but myself and several of my friends nearly ruined a wedding once.a friend of ours was getting married to the woman who we knew was only with him on the rebound from another relationship.my friends and i were all going to stand up when the priest would ask any objections to this union,well none of us had the guts to do it,needlees to say he was seperated within 6 months of his wedding.so us aussies really have some of these soap operas happening.lol.cheers sue
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Gosh Sue, wonder what would have happened if you had stood up. Would he have stayed your friend. Did he anyway? LOL. Maybe Ramsey St isn't all fiction after all.
@suehan1 (4355)
yes p1ke he is still my friend after all those years,but he never married again after her.i thought you must have been watching neighbours.lol.watch out for my daughter when she is on it one day.cheers sue
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Will she be getting married? LOL. Did you know that a staggering amount of Brits think that Neighbours is what Australia is really like. Can't possibly be right though. Never a surfboard in sight, and Bondi Beach never gets mentioned either. LOL.
@gabs8513 (48715)
Nope I don't know anyone either but nearly did - the Ex Husband, wish I had done it now and listened to my head and not others talking me into it biggest mistake But when you are scared of People well I don't know I just wish I was a lot stronger Person then
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Marry in haste, repent at your leisure or some such platitude. I am sorry that you went to your wedding fearful Gabs. That must have been a horrible feeling.
@gabs8513 (48715)
Yes p1 it was and so was the hiding I got on my wedding Day, a lovely Man had turned into a Monster my Instincts had been right I stayed married for 21 years it turned from Physical abuse to mental abuse but hey I survived and got the strength imn the end to get out might have taken 21 years of it before I did but I did that is one thing I can thank this Illness for it gave me strength to get out of it and live a normal Life but p1 it's ok I have now got the most loving caring and wonderful Man who treats me with respect, love and makes me feel that I am special it has taken him 4 years to to convince me that who I am is a lovely Person and that I was able to trust him Ok that's enough lol me telling you my Life story and boring you
@p1kef1sh (45640)
You haven't bored me gabs. I felt physically sick when you said that you were beaten even on your wedding day. I don't understand how men (and some women) can be like that. But I am s pleased that you have someone that loves and cares for you as you deserve. Thank you for sharing that with me. I feel privileged that you did. XX
@dorypanda (1584)
Short answer, no. Long answer, me and my partner were kind of both 'jilted' before the alter.......now I'll explain........we were going to get married when I was 18 and he was 21, but I felt that we were too young and shouldn't really get married for the 'reason' that we were planning on it, so we called it off, but we're still together now after 16 years and STILL not married! You're right about the afterwards bit too, some people seem to think that getting married is the way to fix a bad relationship, others thing having children will fix it, that's when things start going mouldy in the relationship and I think that's why there are so many divorces. I don't think I'll ever get divorced because I don't think I'll ever get married. I'm sorry, I seem to be rambling. I'll go and have a cup of tea now, would you like one?
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Seems like you are doing fine without the marriage lines. But does this mean that you are engaged then? Yes please. My tea's gone cold. Milk no sugar.
@dorypanda (1584)
Yep, been happily engaged and not married for 16 years. :) *hands over nice hot cup of tea*
@sid556 (31005)
got to agree with you on this pike...most weddings..all actually have been beautiful experiences and even those that didn't last. I think the thoughts were in the right place when the vows were exchanged. soap operas pike? now you need to find a hobby. look...I am getting overwhelmed with my incence burner making,,,,maybe you could help me out here.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
LOL. Thank you Sid. Tell me what Im have to do and I'll be churning out hose little burners before you can say - "Dearly Beloved. We are gathered here ......"
@mummymo (23707)
LOL Don't you slag off neighbours you scallywag you! There has been a long run up to this and some of us are sad enough to enjoy it you know! I actually don't know anyone who has been left standing at the altar but I know one man I should have done it to many years ago - and no I don't mean David I mean my ex! lol xxx
@p1kef1sh (45640)
It was Neighbours. That Toady chap's been in it for years. So you were watching too! I don't know, maybe at the time you felt it was what you wanted. I don't know that i would do i again. Although The Boss tells me that she'd want me to if anything happened to her. She says that I would struggle to function without women (yes I meant the plural). She's not the only one to tell me that either. Am I that transparent? LOL.
@mummymo (23707)
I do love neighbours p1ke but I have to say I usually have the laptop on at the same time or am doing Niamhs homework or some such thing! When I say doing it I mean checking it - you know what I mean! lol I knew at the time I shouldn't have married the ex - I was Niamh enough to believe he wouldn't lift his fists or feet or whatever any more after we got married ! Never mind! I think I will again someday but for right now David and I have been together 11 years , lived together almost that long and been engaged almost as long too! lol We eel as though we are married so that is all that matters. I tell everyone I am not going to marry him until both my kids are old enough to sign as my witnesses so I am safe for another almost 10 years! I would like David to get remarried if anything happened to me - he needs a good woman to keep him on the straight and narrow too - just like you! lol Hugs xxxx
@KrauseHome (35517)
Well, in the Soaps and the movies they portray things for people who sometimes take these things to heart, and no matter what happens they think that this is them, and in a case like this, this would be them, and any chance of marriage for them, would be doomed from the start. When in reality they never even give it a try. No, I know no one like this, but I am sure there are times it does happen. I cannot imagine what the other person feels or families feel when something like this happens, but I always say you need to know 100% when going into a Marriage you will work at it, and you are doing it for Love or do not marry, so maybe it is just not meant to be when people chicken out at their wedding.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I so agree. I don't see the point of marrying if you don't intend to stick at it. I'm sure that most do, but I never cease to be amazed at how many times people do it and a month or so later are splitting up.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I can't seem to be able to get into soap operas anymore. I used to be a avid watcher and would even gab over the phone about them while watching them to my sister in law. We didn't have cable for awhile 2 years so when we finally got it back I tried to watch them again and thought what and the heck did I ever see in them..They are so confusing if yo miss a few episodes of them you never know what is going on next..So lucky me I got away from them..to my husbands joy. Do I know of someone who has been jilted at the alter? Besides television no I haven't.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
That's good to here, on two counts. Personally, I find the soaps boring and predictable, the same story line is recycled and every five years or so a major disaster wipes out most of the characters and they are replaced with new ones. Glad that no one that you know has been jilted. That must be a terrible feeling.
@ellie333 (21029)
No I must admit that I don't anyone but they always do on TV eh! I very nearly done it myself though but went ahead anyway, the marriage wasn't good but I have my lovely children from it so I guessed I made the right decision really eh! Ellie:D
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I think that you did Ellie. Funny that TV weddings always attract some sort of disaster.