To wed, would you spend a lot or would you rather have a simple wedding?

Hi my bf and I are planning to get marry within the year and we were discussing the wedding celebration that we would like to have. I want my wedding to be as simple and solemn as possible and I don't want to spend a lot but my fiance would like a big celebration. :) What are your thoughts on this?
@Modestah (11192)
I would not spend a lot. of course that decision is made easier by not having a lot to spend. Still I am not one for showing off fineries nor do I lavish in fineries... to me, simplicity is most elegant. Besides, being far into debt is not the best way to start off a life of marriage together. you know?
thanks for the response.. i totally agree with you that being in debt is not the best way to start a married life... :) how are u are u married?
@saundyl (9690)
The way I feel right now is I would prefer to elope and then just let my family and friends know I got married. After my sister's wedding last fall everyone was so tired and so stressed out. It was expensive and she had to make some big decisions about if she was inviting certain people she DIDN'T want to invite but other family members insisted that the person be invited or the wouldnt come...luckily for her He was invited..showed up the day before and said he didnt feel like staying and left before the ceremonies ever started. In the end, yes she had a beautiful wedding but I don't know if she really enjoyed it. I want my wedding day to be a happy day not something i remeber as stressful and well unhappy.
@k1tten (2320)
I don't mind which I get to be truthful. I would just want to make my partner happy. So I'd ask what she'd want often and see what I could do in my power to make her happy.
Imo, if you have enough money ,I think your wedding should become a big celebration , because the wedding is the most things in our life ,eveyone will bless you . Don't worry the money .The money you can earn after that.
@sisterjinx (1136)
When my hubby and I got married we did just a simple ceremony at home with our closest friends and closest family. It was nice. It was small but it had that comfortable feeling. Maybe you can make a comprimise. You can have a small ceremony but have a big reception. A big party a couple of days later for everyone to celebate your marraige.
@grammasnook (1877)
OMg are you so ready for this... When I got married it was in my mothers yard ( a big yard ) My mom and sisters did all the cooking, my inlaws paid for the dj and booze. My husband and I paid a total of 300 dollars to build a dance floor and a archway to stand under. My whole family was able to join in our marriage and be part of our celebration. Who says you have to spend lots to do it. Be creative and have fun. My husband will tell you it was the best wedding he has ever gone too lol Good luck in your comprimise with your fiance