Before ATM machines ...

@Qaeyious (2362)
... you had cash, checks, and you went to the bank during their business hours to take money out, or put it in. Ah, yes, there were credit cards, too (if you were lucky(?)), There were slots too, both big drawers to receive a business's cash receipts for that night, designed so you can't reach in to take what was previously deposited, and littler slot for poor to middle class folks like me. I also remember the pneumatic tubes, where you put your transaction documents in a tube and air carries it from your car to the tellers at the drive-thru window. I remember my parents and grandparents doing these things when I was little (yes, I am that old) and ATMs were just coming out when I got enough money to actually start a checking account. Then they were only available at select bank locations - there were no portable ones you see every place now. One disadvantage, a big one I see now, is machine malfunction. It doesn't happen often, but boy, when it does ... I will find out how long it takes to replace a card ... I left a machine that displayed "Transaction Processing ..." - for thirty minutes after my last [OK] to withdrawal $200. Checked it again 2 hours later - still said the same thing. Good thing I have other accounts with other cards - but I hope it doesn't give my $200 (and possibly my card as well) to a total stranger! ... and still charge me the $1.75 for the privilege
@SukiSmiles (1998)
How funny - I was just thinking about this today. As I was swiping my card at the third store in a row this evening while shopping, I was thinking how I used to have to go to the bank for cash or write a check. No debit cards back then, no cash back. It was a check cashing card that you showed to the store so they would know your check would be good. We still have those vacuum tube things for the drive throughs here. Thank goodness I've never had a problem with atm machines.
Kind of funny, I was just telling my twelve year old daughter some of the things we did not have when I was a kid. I never thought about ATM's, will have to add it to the list. As for replacing it, I washed mine a while back and it took less than a week.