Why is it that we clean like mad for company but not for ourselves?

@mentalward (14716)
I do this. Well, I start doing it, then I realize I'm just doing it because I worry about what the company will think if they see a cobweb in the corner. Then I realize that they've had their share of cobwebs in the corner. I just stopped cleaning for my company this weekend. Good is good enough. If my family can handle it, so can I. Who else does this?
We clean, because we don't want our friends talking about us...it's that simple. We all have different ways of cleaning. Some houses look toally lived in; others look like a showcase house where NOTHING is out of place. Mental, if you're happy the way your house LQQKS...good! If THEY don't...oh well, THEY don't have to come back!
@mentalward (14716)
Good answer! I've stopped cleaning, at least for this weekend. I have one person coming over who is a clean freak... my sister-in-law. The others coming over have a house I love to go to every now and then because it's always such a mess and, when I come home, my house looks so very nice! LOL My mom had that showcase kind of home. I always felt uncomfortable being there. My house definitely has that 'lived in' look and I like it. Thanks!
@arcidy (5017)
Well whenever we have someone over I know my mom wants me to clean my room and entertainment room. But I really dont care if someone finds me messy. And thats why we clean for company because we dont want them thinking where slobs we like for people to think where clean and tidy thats why most people clean when ever company comes over.
@mentalward (14716)
But in every other respect I always try to be completely myself. Maybe it's just something that we have had engrained into our psyche by our mothers and is a hard thing to get over.
@Randync (544)
We do that it's a nuthouse around here if company is expected. I try to explain to them that if they clean up my mess as soon as I make it, then it looks better!
@mentalward (14716)
If THEY clean up YOUR mess? Hahahaha! I like that answer!
I do it sometimes. Only when everything gets really terrible then I clean before someone comes over, that is if I know they are on the way. Otherwise I do small touch ups here and there to try and keep things from getting any worse. Sometimes though, like today I actually make some progress. I wish I made progress more often though.
@mentalward (14716)
I heard this quote awhile back and loved it: "A clean house is the result of a boring person."
@jillhill (37354)
I used to do this then I realized that after they left is when I should clean. When the grandkids come it only takes a couple of hours before something gets spilled...and then there are all the towels and leftover tooth paste in the bathroom so now I just kind of lightly clean. Then after they leave....that's when I clean it for myself! LOL
@mentalward (14716)
I like the way you think! It's so logical! I think I'll do it that way from now on.
LOL I am totally the same way! It is really silly isn't it?