NASA Mars Program

Why would the United States of America spend billions of dollars in space exploration when people around the world needs aid?
@DarkDancer (1012)
• Dayton, Ohio
Nasa's budget compared to most of the other programs in the u.s. Very small.
@Barbietre (1440)
That is so true, and the pursuit of knowledge is never wasted. And in the end things do improve our lives: some of the things they researched are now used in our everyday lives. And how wasteful are we all in our everyday lives, I mean really no one needs a big mac or to smoke or to drink, but yet we spend mega bucks on things like that. Many years ago my husband was out of work for a short while and we needed food stamps. I was morified to use it, but food for my children was a priority. But I saw some people using food stamps for junk food. Since when is a bag of chips a need?
@smallT (376)
Do you suppose that they are working on an escape plan to get the hell out of here if/when necessary? :-)
@saverio (402)
Always a question asked and the reply one gets is 'for the welfare of human kind'.How...? i do not know. What can you do.NASA spends billions of US tax dollars and the success rate of the mars landers are less than 1%.Really pathetic!!!
@smacksman (6074)
The 'people around the world' get plenty of aid, though world aid is a bottomless pit that will absorb everything. It would be a great start if 'The World' got off it's backside, tackled it's corruption; it's lack of human rights; it's tribal warfare and a few other self-help deeds.
@twallace (2675)
To this day i would like to now myself what is up there that they want to know about so bad. Spending money on things that they don't need to spend it on and eventhough they do that. There is nothing that can be done to stop them. For the country to say that they are broke this lets you know that they are no where near broke.