The Stress Weight Gain Connection

@Rozie37 (15503)
Turkmenistan
A lot of us already know that our moods have a great effect on our physical health. Well, I guess now doctors are making it official. Read this very infomative article and see why working on this inside is just as important as working on the outside. Tell me if you agree or what you think. http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/food-and-mood/stress-and-dieting/stress-and-other-causes-of-obesity.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthEmotionalHealth_20080527
@maddysmommy (16236)
IE won't open up the article so I don't know what it says. I eat when I am stressed and when I am bored and stuck at home. I have gained another 10 pounds since we got back from the wedding and I feel yucky. I have to start up my exercise again and get out there and walk. The weather is beautiful at the moment so I have no excuse lol
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
Yes, I figured we were all aware of this already, so maybe this is just a reminder or maybe they are making it official for the first time.
@suspenseful (40316)
I do not have to read this, although I will. When I am stressed, I eat all the wrong foods, like bad carbohydrates, things with lots of sugar. Now I will eat candy or chips when I am on a walk, but at that time, I am moving, but when I am sitting down and worrying, I will go to the fridge. However even if I did not eat, then I do not sleep that much at night. I have to get up to the bathroom. I try to hold, but I cannot. So how can I get to sleep all through the night the whole eight hours?
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
Because of insomnia I do not sleep eight hours either. So there are many nights when I am up snacking. I know that the fact that I can not sleep causes me a lot of stress.
@vera5d (4007)
I have to say I agree with that article quite a bit - I recently read a book I borrowed from the library called Potatoes not Prozac that explained how the things we ate were causing so many problems with our moods/depression/etc. I tried doing what the book suggested (mostly cutting out sugar completely) and it AMAZED me how within just a few weeks I was feeling awesome instead of tired and stressed out most of the time. Vitamin B is a big player, too. I think too if we have a lot of stress we get less sleep, eat less healthy, tend to be sick more...they both are connected to each other quite a bit, throwing us in a vicious cycle.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
Now you seem like someone who knows this from experience. A lot of people think that sugar is a good thing because it gives you energy, it may-that has been disputed lately. But whatever boost it does give you, when you come down off of a sugar high, you are not only lower than you were before, but you also have to deal with the guilt. The foods that we eat do greatly affect our moods. Foods have both physical and psychological properties to them. There is why they say "You are what you eat." If you eat mess, you will be a mess. I am living proof of that.
I think that's always been known. When you're stressed out, fatigued, in pain, whatever, your cortisol levels rise, which causes you to be hungrier, eat more, and store the food immediately to fat. It's a residual survival trait that's still hanging around. Any change in neurochemistry causes a cascade of changes which can lead to noticeable changes in a person's physiology. Sadly, I don't think people will be getting time off of work any time soon because they 'too stressed' unless they have a breakdown. :(
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
Well I am an expert in the subject only in the sense that I experience this kind of eating all the time. I must say that stress does not always cause you to over-eat from being hungry. There have been many times when I have been stressed out, not hungry and eaten to the point where was sick. Once I even ate until I threw up.