Has any one stuck garlic cloves in the dirt and used the green part for cooking?

@tdemex (3545)
I've always broken off the garlic cloves and stuck the bottom side in the dirt and as they grow I've cut off a few inches with scissors and wash them off and chop them and they are just as good as the cloves. Plus the plants keep growing and you can use them all season long. depending how much you use it only takes a few to keep you in stock.
@lilaclady (28238)
Gee that is such a good idea so long as it is ok to eat the leaves, I don't eat a lot of garlic and I find I throw a lot away as I do like everything fresh, I am going to try this, thank you...
@tdemex (3545)
The leaves are like green onion leaves and they are good for ya! Sprinke a little on a fresh salad. You'll be hooked! I used to grow em year around in a small pot in the kitchen window in the winter and it work ed great.
@lilaclady (28238)
I am going to do this today as I have some garlic here, I would imagine it wouldn't be quite as strong as the cloves so that would be good for me...thanks again..
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Wow, that's a great idea! Do you plant it outside or keep it in your kitchen? I rarely use fresh cloves, but usually will buy the jar of chopped. If I could keep my own going, I might give that a try.
@tdemex (3545)
When I lived in Michigan I grow em out side, and if you let on or two go to seed they will come up next year. around sept. I'd start some in the kitichen window I do use these alot more than I used to because it was always such a hassle to break off a clove then peel it and mince it and the smell on your habds, If you use siscors to don't even contact the long green leaves you just hold mabe 3 of em and snip away! Try it and you'll probably start using them more! tdemex
@tdemex (3545)
This is garlic were talking about, when I said clove I ment a clove of garlic.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
LOL. When I said cloves, I should have said garlic. I knew what you meant, but the word clove stuck in my head!
Kinda like garlic chives. :) I do this a lot and it's really tasty. Even better is that you can dig them up and get some really tasty garlic later in the year. And the flowers are pretty, too!
@sweetdesign (5151)
I read in a book yesterday that you can take broken off garlic cloves (the larger ones with some roots intact) and plant them to grow more garlic. Haven't heard of using the greens though.
@tdemex (3545)
You stick the cloves in the dirt bottom side down of course. and soon green leaves start poping up. I'll put 4 in a 4"pot and as they grow (they look like grn. onions) I'll trim off 3 inch pcs. with scissors and holding them just cut small pcs. off over what ever I'm cooking or a salad. Don't cut them to close to the bulb and they keep growing! Try it! it's great and your hands don't get that garlic odor tdemex
@ferdzNK (3214)
That I want to try. I only toss those along with other trimmings to my compost bin. How long does it take before you can start cutting them off?
@tdemex (3545)
depends on the soil and weather , probably 3weeks to a month, don't cut them to short and they will keep growing.
@laglen (19779)
Thats a great idea! I pick the garlic but never really thought to use the leaves. I will give it a try! Thanks for the idea!
@tdemex (3545)
Glad to give tips to my friends. I think I first read this in Mother Earth News years ago! Enjoy! tdemex
@MichaelJay (1100)
This is a really good idea! We have pots of chives growing in our garden, in fact all the herbs such as mint are in pots to make them easier to control. Mint will go crazy and overrun the whole garden if you let it. Fresh garlic chives are brilliant and we have a lot of regular 'onion' chives too. Her'es a tip - when the floering heads appear pinch them out as they take too much energy from the plant. You will get more chives regrowing if you do this simple step.
@tdemex (3545)
I also do chives,mainly for my baked potatoes. I aslo mix it in the cheese when I do manicotti shells,gives them great flavor. Been doing the garlic leaves for years.Glad you liked the tip!
@JoyfulOne (6242)
I keep a little plot of them in one corner of my garden and use the leaves to flavor potatoes, and all kinds of things. Towards the end of the season I let some of them go to seed and replant the cloves for the next year. This ensures that I have plenty of garlic in cloves for the winter, and I snip the leaves and flash freeze them and then stick them in zip-lock baggies for winter soups and stuff.
@tdemex (3545)
That's great been doing this for years! Freezing is a good idea. Thanks tdemex
I've never tried that before. I'll have to get my own spice garden or container garden now. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the ideas.
hi tdemex! thanks for the garden tips, at least by so doing, we can be sure the green leaves are realy fresh and natural. I am doing this also and I love its effect. Loving the natural process could give happiness to the Creator, do you think so?