Anyone else here have Rosacea?

@writersedge (22579)
I have it. My skin on my face originally, then it spread to my eyes and my scalp. Most people think it's just redness, but there is so-o-o much more to it. The biggest problem for me it that people don't understand. The biggest problem was my stomach until I quit tomatoes and that helped both my stomach and my face. What rosacea do you have? What is your biggest problem with it? Has it changed over time or did you just start having it? Have you checked out the Rosacea website? Do you get the newsletter? Does your medication work for you? Mine works pretty well most of the time. I've heard of a couple of people who have even gone into remission. Have you ever gone into remission? I haven't. But sometimes are definitely better than others. The weather makes a big difference and less stress.
@carolbee (16241)
My husband has this problem but it seems to be more seasonal. He has it in the winter when his workload is extremely heavy. I often wondered if it was stress related. It's just on one cheek and is really noticeable. The doctor puts him on antibiotics but it really doesn't help much. He also uses some kind of special soap just for his face and that doesn't help much either. He never complains about it so it must not hurt or itch. Sorry I can't give you any good suggestions or advice. I do know it's a fairly common problem.
@writersedge (22579)
Get him to a different Dr. Under no condition (unless he has an infection) should he ever, ever be on antibiotics for Rosacea. That's why it doesn't help much. Antibiotics do nothing at all for Rosacea, it has been proven. Also antibiotics can make some things worse, like cause stomach problems. Each person is different, so the soap they use is different. I use DOVE for sensitive skin. That doesn't mean it will work for him, but it might. Read the discussions above and below to learn more and stay tuned. Also search the Rosacea Society. They can help a great deal. Hopefully his won't get worse, but many people do get worse.
@carolbee (16241)
Thanks for the information. My husband mentioned to me many times the antibiotics didn't work and ofcourse I did notice this as well. I can suggest to him that he needs to see another dr. but he won't. He's one of those stubborn men....lol
@writersedge (22579)
Then search for the National Rosacea Society. Also look at the pictures of what can happen if no meds or the wrong meds are given. Take care.
@aplaza (631)
• Netherlands
I've been reading some of the work of N.V. Perricone. He's a dermatologist and has written couple of books and has been in the news a bit over the past few years. He claims that rosacea is due to an inflamation. His dietary advice in combination with his products should work for this type of skin condition. If nothing else helps why not give that a go?
@writersedge (22579)
Why not give it a go? Because I've changed diets for arthritis, did nothing. That's an anti-inflamation diet, too. Changed diets for a lot of things and nothing happened except that it cost me a lot of money. Also what works for one Rosacea person doesn't work for another. If someone with Rosacea actually went into remission because of it, I might be tempted. Otherwise, he's just another quack hocking a book to me.
@aplaza (631)
• Netherlands
Basically his diet is an anti-inflammatory diet. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I noticed a remarkable improvement in my condition by following the guidelines he outlined. Although it's no fun when fellow mylotters are talking about icecream and Twix. LOL Too bad they don't sell his products here because I'd really want to see if that helps even more.
@writersedge (22579)
No ice cream or chocolate? Tomatoes and really acid stuff makes my Rosacea worse and it's bad enough to have to give them up. Never ice cream or chocolate bars. Hopefully you've helped someone today. Bet his stuff is online somewhere on the internet, if searched long enough. Take care and thanks.
@whittby (3073)
The dermatologist told me I had rosacea a few years ago. I really don't see that I have it as much now that I'm on blood pressure medicine. I'm interested about the stomach rosacea though - does it look like a red rash, eczema? I have had something for a long long time now and the doctor isn't really doing much for it. I also didn't think about weather and stress having an effect.
@whittby (3073)
Thank you for all this info. i have the website bookmarked.
@writersedge (22579)
They are a wealth of information. Glad you'll be able to check it whenever you need to. Take care.
I don;t have it although do have psoriasis. My husband was diagnosed with it about 3 years ago and it has caused him a lot of grief. He found that cutting out trigger foods/ drinks etc helped a lot and a special sunblock was useful too.
@writersedge (22579)
I cut out my triggers as much as possible (but if you go to a pot luck or someone's house and all they have is triggers for food. . .). I have prescription Metrogel and that helps a lot.
My dad was just diagnosed with rosacea. Hes had it for a few years but didnt know what it was. Its just redness on his cheeks and spots on his forehead. My step mother in law has it to and takes a medicine by mouth for it as well as uses a cream. I remember her saying before that she cant wear makeup with it because it just flakes off. That what my skin has been like the past year. I look ridiculous anymore when I wear makeup to cover my acne bc my skin is so dry and flakes off. I'm hoping I dont have like the first stages of rosacea or something :(
@writersedge (22579)
I hope you don't have it either, but the national rosacea society is online and you can read about it . Really, really dry skin can also do that . I tend to use hypoallergetic creams , make up and moisturized before putting make up on with cocobutter (not the stick) helps with dryness.