Beware --Airfare may not include checking luggage!!

@Debs_place (10551)
Ok, if I fly somewhere, I expect to check at least one bag, especially with the restrictions on carry-on. I would think that the airlines would be of the same mentality but it appears that at least one is now charging $15 to check the first piece of luggage http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/today-in-travel/southwest-first-and-second-checked-bags-still-free.html?id=2605613&source=dealalert&value=2008-05-29+00%3A00%3A00&u=SLA6DE4238 They are saying the don't want to nickel and dime us to death - but I am sorry $15 does not equal a 'nickel and dime' Wouldn't it make more sense to just include the $15 in the airfare or would they lose the cheaper carrier status and don't want to do that? Do you expect checking luggage to be part of the airfare? Would you be upset if you got the the airlines desk and found that you had to pay extra to check a bag?
@lingli_78 (12852)
i never heard of this before... and i think it is simply ridiculous... you are right... why don't they just include the price in the airline ticket so that we as passengers won't think the airline is a cheapskate... i can't blame them as well as they are just trying to increase their profit margin with the increase in fuel price nowadays... take care and have a nice day...
@Debs_place (10551)
I understand their profit margin, but accepting a single piece of luggage should be a given. I am sure they increased their airfare as well.
@nanajanet (4437)
From what the two airlines I am flying, US Air and Air Italia, it's not the first piece being charged. International flights are up to 60 or 70 lbs for first piece, depending on the airline, and domestic, up to 44 lbs. There are set max dimensions, too. It's the second piece of CHECK IN luggage, that's being charged. Actually, if I had my choice between higher airfare or paying for extra luggage, I will choose the luggage, this way I have a little control over what I spend. I know how to pack efficiently. We are going on a month trip and I will have one bag, that's it. I've done it before. Some people just don't know how to plan how to pack for a trip (like my daughter) and overpack, then complain. Since we are going to Europe for a month and have no luggage allowance for the baby, I told my daughter that I will help her pack so she will not pay more. I mean, she packs these HUGE bottles of hair stuff. I told her to get smaller ones as you can always buy more over there. She is afraid they won't have her brand so I set, "get over it!" LOL She was worried about things like diapers, too. Like they don't have disposables in Italy? Geez!! LOL I don't think it's ridiculous. Everyone else has to raise their prices due to fuel costs, why not airlines? Having been a business owner, and hearing complaints when I had to raise prices, I would say, "I have two choices... raise prices and stay in business, or not raise prices and go out of business." Blame it on the politicians and the oil companies, not the airlines.
@Barbietre (1442)
Well, Jan, I can understand her concern, they do not have the range of products we do over here. The bigger cities have better selections but the smaller ones do not. Plus the prices on things are higher than you might expect. When we were in Naples we looked in a window of a hardware store. Since we had been traveling for awhile then we were pretty food at figuring out the price difference. Well tools were 3x the cost of ones at home. What I would suggest is you go online and find some stores nearby and see what the prices are. Plus she can put some of her hair products into smaller containers, or see about getting those samples from online sources. Start sending for stuff now. Then that can easily be stuffed in pockets in the suitcases. You also have the luxury regular travelles do not, you will be able to do laundry. That cuts down on clothes even for the baby.
@Barbietre (1442)
Well I for one do not think $15 is a big deal, it will not kill anyone. As for adding it, think of it this way, if and when fuel prices go down it is easier just to remove the surcharge than re-adjust the fare. And no offense do you really expect the airlines to eat the fuel cost? Businesses are dropping like flies because of fuel costs. Have you looked at your grocery bill lately? And it is American airlines doing ii and it has been in the news quite alot lately so it should be no real surprise to anyone now.
@Debs_place (10551)
Airlines prices are adjusted all of the time, believe me, I was on the phone to make reservations for my son and while I was on hold (approx 30 minutes) the price had changed. And no $15 may not seem like a big deal, but it is a cost to consider and if you are not aware of it, it is a hidden cost. If you are flying with your family, the 15 could easily turn into $60. No, I don't expect the airlines to eat the cost of the fuel, but I just did a search from JFK to MCO and AA was approx $200 higher then the cheapest airfare for the trip - not counting the cost of checking baggage. BTW I have looked at my grocery bill and I have not seen the news lately - I work approximately 60 hours a week just to get by.
@Barbietre (1442)
Well, we all work alot.But I would rather they be upfront instead of hiding it. A surcharge in my opinion is upfront. I can not see how anyone would be just as happy to have their fare increase by that much and no reason given.
@Polly1 (12650)
Yes I would be upset if I had to pay for my checked luggage. That should come with the airfare. It already cost lots of money to fly anyplace. I do understand that with fuel prices everyone is feeling the increases. I wonder whats next. Are we going to go in a restaurant order our food and have to rent our plates and silverware to eat with. Something needs to be done with fuel cost, its getting way beyond rediculous.
@bitoffun (203)
I never ealised how many different businesses were being hurt by the gas prices. Its just unbelievable! It seems every day when I read the paper something else is going up in price because of gas prices. What a mess we have huh?
@Debs_place (10551)
I said the same thing...Can you see going to a fine restaurant and ordering food from the menu, then they add on an extra fee to sit down. Or you go to play golf and rent a cart, then they charge extra for putting the clubs in the cart. See comment 2 posts above about cartoon in NY Post, the airfare does the include the price of taking off. Yes, last weekend we took the dogs to get a bath and the holiday inn by the dog wash is normally full of people, was empty. The rising fuel prices are putting a crimp in everyone's budget.
it matters not if you get upset its happening!
@Debs_place (10551)
Gee Rev, I never thought of you as a pacifist.
not a pacafist a realist !LOL
@tyc415 (5706)
I don't fly but I have been hearing on the news about these charges and I find it outrageous. The price for each piece goes up after that first bag. Not sure if you are familiar with Kelly Rippa off of Regis and Kelly but she is a great person to do packing for trips, she uses those space bags and can get her entire family of 5 in one piece of luggage, or so she says. hahaha
@Debs_place (10551)
No, I don't know Kelly, but if their is a weight limit, then all her expert packing is for naught. Can you see going to a fine restaurant and ordering food from the menu, then they add on an extra fee to sit down. Or you go to play golf and rent a cart, then they charge extra for putting the clubs in the cart.
@tyc415 (5706)
I don't think they charge by the lb. yet just for each piece of luggage. I just find it amazing that she can pack for her, her husband and 3 young kids in once piece of luggage plus the carry on.
@jonesy123 (3950)
Yes, it's kind of a weird policy. I think they reason that the lighter the plane the less fuel they'll use. Therefore, if they carry less baggage with them they can keep prices down. I'm waiting for them to charge passengers by their body weight, lol. I know, some airlines already require rather obese people to purchase two seats. But it's getting out of hand. It definitely makes one rethink travel arrangements and what needs to be packed, lol.
@Debs_place (10551)
It doesn't say weight. Before I think it was limited to 45 pounds per piece. If I am paying $15 for 45 pounds or 10 pounds -- I don't see the incentive. They already charge extra, I think it is $50 if you go over the 45 pounds.
@jonesy123 (3950)
I didn't mean the weight of the lagguage when I made that reference. Ever since I took my first plane ride they charged if baggage was over the weight limit. The point I made was that they will start charging by people's body weight. 100 pound person pays $x, 120 pound person pays $y more, and so on...
@nanajanet (4437)
As far as I know, and I am flying to Europe soon, they told me that only if you go overweight or want to check an extra bag, will you pay extra. My daughter flew to Florida with a friend a couple of weeks ago and they paid $25 for an extra bag. There have always been restrictions on how much luggage, how much it weighs and size. It may be annoying but they do need to stay in business. With the rates of fuel going out of the roof, they have no choice.
@Debs_place (10551)
I understand overweight or extra piece...but I can't accept charging for one piece
@Samanthavv (1395)
yep. I've heard about that. I think I heard it on the news or something. It sucks for traveller's but you have to look at it from the airlines point of view. With gas prices rising, they have to fork out more as well...The money has to come from somewhere.
@Debs_place (10551)
I am sure the airlines also raised their prices as well. I think that when you get a price, it should include a minimum service and the vast majority of people that fly use luggage, that is a given and at least one piece should be included for check-in. They can use a maximum weight and charge extra above it but they should not charge for a single piece
@gberlin (3836)
Yes, I would be upset if they did not tell me ahead of time that I would have to pay extra to have my bag checked. I did hear this on the news so when I fly to Hawaii in July I will go knowing that I might have to pay extra for checking my bag.
@Debs_place (10551)
Aloha! Nice! I still think it is wrong, the NY Post has a cartoon in it yesterday, the jet is on the runway and the pilot is explaining that take off is extra, please pay the flight attendant as they come around. So true!
@Thoroughrob (11771)
I expect it to be free. If it is not, they had better not lose my luggage.
@Debs_place (10551)
A friend of mine flew to Jamaica last year, American ( the airlines that is charging) Lost her luggage. She was going to a wedding and had late Christmas gifts for her family. The luggage never got to Jamaica, when she did get it, most everything had been stole and then it took her 10 or 12 weeks to get reimbursed by them. In the mean time she had to buy another dress, make up, hair dryer etc. If that is the service they give, i will pass on American, no matter how cheap.
@spalladino (17927)
Their reasoning may be two fold, they're bringing in the additional revenue but they're also discouraging people from checking luggage because of the extra cost so maybe they'll pack lighter, making the plane lighter and saving a little bit on fuel. I had to laugh out loud when I heard the nickel and dime comment...first baggage fees and now no peanuts. If that's not nickel and diming I don't know what is.
@Debs_place (10551)
They already have a weight restriction on luggage. At least one piece should be included with the cost of the airfare. And if I have to pay $15 if my luggage weights 10 pounds or 40 pounds then I don't think it'll make a difference.
@alcazar (763)
yeah it came to me as surprise...i thought that the ticket fare included everything....thank god i had some cash at that time or it would have been a problem
@winterose (39931)
yes I think they are getting out of hand now, they want to keep the low carrier status yet the add on the extras and it comes up to the same as everywhere else anyhow.
@Grandmaof2 (7604)
I can not believe how the price of stuff is going up and extra fees being added on. I blame this on the price of fuel. With the huge increase they'll find any means of an excuse to charge for something to compensate foir the fuel charge. Just my opinion. Here where I live (Canada) we are not payinbg more than 7.00 a gallon for regular fuel and it's supposed to be going up again.
@polachicago (19143)
On domestic flight I can travel only with carry on bag, But international flights are different, so I may want to take more with me. Southwest denied rumor about additional fee, so far only AA will do it.