Cats and flea medacine....

There is this abandon cat walking around my trailor park,mabey its owned by someone in the next trailor park over. the not so great one. I feel so bad for it because its outside all day all night. now if i was able to have pets. i would have done let this cat into my home..But i dont think i would have left him clawed. I let my child go out and play with her and we pet her and give her scraped food.. i was playing with her the other day and noticed a huge tic on her right side. by her beck.. i wasnted to try and get it out abut i dont want her to bite me either. LMAO so i was thinking i could buy some flea and tic meds and put it on her. inbetween the shoulder blades up by her neck is were i would put it right?.. Im just sooooo paranoid shes ganna like lick her fur and digest it and she will die of poison so im to afraid to do it... Is anyone else familiar with putting the medacine on. and wil lit poison her?. How do i know she wont ingest it?. Also i have another wuestion.. this cat. mabey just in real need of love. shes craving it. but she always needs with her nails... it doesnt hurt to bad but the next day i have al these nail marks and scratches all over me. she likes to climb on your hes and walkf back and forth. and mabey thats why somoene put her out. because of everytihng in their houseing getitng shredded by her... im telling you. its a constans thing with her. she doesnt stop... so what would be a good way to get her to stop. any ideas?
@twoey68 (13651)
As for medicine, you can get a tube of advantage at the vet for about $10. On our cat, it lasts about 6 months but on an outdoor cat will probably only last about 3. The next time your petting her, talk soothingly to her and slowly get a grip on the tick, one quick pull should get it off. I'm not saying she won't bite you, after all it's a natural defense, but if she's loving on you and letting you pet and handle her then she may trust you enough to get the tick off. They can cause all kinds of diseases so if at all possible you should try to get it off. As for putting the medicine on, you can put it below their ears in the center of their neck. There's no way they can turn their head to lick it. It absorbs into their skin and isn't harmful. As for the kneading, all cats do it. Our cat was declawed and she still does it. It's a way of "nesting", or making a place comfortable. She doesn't mean to scratch or tear things up but that is what happens when they do it and have claws. If you ever decide your going to keep her and declaw her, remember that if you do...SHE MUST BE KEPT INDOORS. Without their claws they have only biting as a defense and won't survive long outside. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
Oh yes most definatly, usually i am aginst getting a cat declawed cause yes that is there way of defending themselves. i would defiantly figure a way to make sure she didnt get outside:( As for pulling the tic out. dont you have to get like really close as possible to the head so the head doesnt come off while its still attached to the skin?. i think i will try it. this cat doesnt stay stil FOR NOTHING lol. so wish me luck. and thank you for the advise on the advantage!:)
OMG i feel so bad:( i got it out. i did i burnt that little bast***But i feel bad cause i know it hurt her. that tic wouldnt let go for nothing.. but she stayed calm and sucked the paiun uo till i got it out. but afterwards she was breathing hard:(. I gave her a bowl of milk and a bowl of tuna fish.. (i dont have cat food) as i dont have animals BUT she was satisfied with that for sure...
@Liasonfan (1702)
Wow--so glad you got it out, Mikeyswife. That sounds like t=quite the experience for you and the cat. You are a very kind, animal loving person!
@Liasonfan (1702)
Fleas and tics....we just went through this whole thing with our cat when we moved into this house. Apparently, the larvae can live up to 1 year. You can only see with the naked eye, 1 out of every 100 or so...Our cat (who has always been an indoor cat and we never in our wildest dreams thought we would have to deal with fleas) came down with the worst case EVER shortly after we moved in. We soon found out that over the counter meds and flea collars do NOTHING and are a huge waste of money...We took her to the vet and $300.00 + dollars later, we got the ointment that we needed to apply between her shoulder blades once a month for 6 months and also we had to buy tons of spray to spray along EVERY baseboard in our house. TWICE. Then we had to vacuum every day for awhile. It is ALOT of work to get rid of fleas and tics and something you do not really want to get into unless you own the cat or have a huge emotional investment in it. Hope this helps somewhat...sorry to be the bearer of such tidings...Good luck!
Oh my. i dont think i could go into that LMAO. thats alot of money and i couldimagine the stress it layed on you guys:(. defiantly not. i dont let the cat in my house. im not allowed to have animals:( so that would never be. i just figured helping it alittle as i could. I just fel sorry. hes getting skinnier by the day:( thanks for sharing liasonfan:)
@Liasonfan (1702)
Oh yeah it was stressful for all of us. Not knowing what was wrong with her at first and then the total shock and realization that it can happen to an indoor pet that easily as well. Have you tried talking to the owners about the situation? That can actially drive the animal mad if left unattentended for lengthy periods of time. Sounds more humane to put the animal down that to let it go untreated...