My neighbor gave me a couple of poppy pods

@dragon54u (31617)
She wasn't sure if I had to break them open and dry the seeds or what. Does anyone know that I need to do with the seeds? Can I take them out of there and plant them now or do I have to leave them in the pod? I have no clue!
@aplaza (631)
• Netherlands
If the pods you got were dry and you can hear the seeds rattling around in them then it's time to shake that rattle and plant those seeds! Just shake it around the spot where you want them. You'll really have to do it now because now is the season for poppies to start blooming. Then when yours have flowered and create their own pods you can pick them and put them in a vase to dry for next year.
@dragon54u (31617)
They're very fresh pods. My neighbor is on the corner and has a beautiful garden on one side. Unfortunately, sometimes children come by and whack at the flowers or pick them for their mothers without asking. That's how I came by the pods, the flowers were destroyed. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often but we seem to have a lot of good kids with attentive parents here. But now I know what to do next year, thank you!
Friend, It would be better if You plant those seeds, because your neighbor might have gave it you with the intention that you will use it properly, I mean seeding it. Thanks.
@dragon54u (31617)
Thanks, but she told me I'd have lovely poppies next year so I think she knows I won't be planting them right away!
@GreenMoo (11842)
You'll need to dry them in the pods. Be careful though, as when the pods are dry little holes will appear around the top of the pods to release the seeds. If you're no prepared you might lose all your seeds! I would tie them upside down by the stems, with their heads in a paper bag. Then leave them somewhere warm and dry. When the seeds are dry they'll start to fall out naturally & you can give them a shake as a helping hand.
@dragon54u (31617)
Thank you, I guess I'll have to wait till next year for poppies! There are no stems on them, just the pods. I have the perfect place to put them, too! Thanks so much for your help.
@tdemex (3547)
I used to live in Oregon where they grow lots of em for seed to sell. The papper bag idea is best, sometimes the pod will split open and seeds will go everywhere. I used to grow them, the seeds are very tiny. Another tip is put them in a pepper shaker when you go to plant them, that way you'll get em wher you want them! tdemex
@GreenMoo (11842)
Love the pepper shaker idea. I'm on the look out for some of the huge blue / purple poppies, so that I can earmark them for seeds in a few weeks.