My new rescue cat has arrived - he is quite nervous - any tips

Hi all as some of you may know i was having a rescue cat, well we went to collect him yesterday and he is absolutly gorgous. He did spend a few hours hiding in the bathroom at first so i just took his food and litter tray up there to him and he eventually came down, He is stil quite nervous tho and especially nervous of my youngest son - who is very loud, i think the noise scares him a lot. He is away from the children tho now as he is in his bed in the kitchen and they are in the lounge. I picked the cat as i was told he came from a home with young children and had a good temprement. He is so loving but quite wary of my youngest any tips on how to make him less nervous around my 2 year old?
Hello. I have a rescue cat that was abused. I got her in January, and she is just now starting to come around. Give her time, and remind the baby to be careful with her. My Zoe is a wonderful companion who has adopted me as her owner!
thanks for you advise and i hope nemo will soon come out of his shell a little more :)
It's just going to take time. I think trying to rush anything will be counterproductive. my cat spent a month in the basement closet before he came out with us. he would explore while we were asleep. Eventually he ventured out and made friends with us.
@Aurone (4758)
If he doesn't come around in time then there is a product you can buy that is sort of like an air freshener (you know the plug in type) that releases a cat pheromone that relaxes a stressed cat. I have never used it myself but you can buy it at http://www.drsfostersmith.com