Kids social skills

Australia
Do you think that kids today have less social skills than kids 10-15 years ago? I do. I see it all the time. When we got together we played more social games and iteracted more. I see lots of kids today acting in a way that makes me sad. Eg. We have lots of friends with kids. Most of us get together at least 1 time a week and the kids have a ball together. Today we did that and while most of the kids played together the rest did not. 1 was sitting with us playing his little nintendo and 2 watched tv. And the mother of the 1 playing his games was just telling us how at school he is bored and does not have friends and dosnt know how to comunicate with kids. well take the stupid game off him for start. another eg. my nephews have all the plystations, x-box what have you. when their friends come over 1 is on the pc playing age of empire, the other one is on the other pc on myspace, the 3 is on the x-box so what is the point I am sure they can do that home as well. And while they do this no one is talking.
@jonesy123 (3950)
Yes, having technological gadgets as baby sitter is not exactly good for their social life. If a child doesn't learn to interact with others at an early age or to use their imagination in pretend play by themselves, their social skills will lack later on. The TV, computer, video games, all of that is anti-social, especially for kids. It doesn't require much imagination and kids easily get bored. They also don't learn conflict resolution, which is an important social skill. They learn to find friends and to deal with those kids who don't like them. Allowing a child to take videogames to a playdate is counterproductive. Same as just to park the kids in front of the TV. Now this doesn't mean you should completely eliminate this stuff from their lifes, lol. Just limit it and force them to deal with others. The friends come over, you either all play the same videogame or nobody plays at all. And the time is limited. You will not watch TV or play on the computer or play video games the entire time. You will find time to run and play.... Well along those lines...
My son is allowed to play the computer (we have lots of educational games like matching things, colours, numbers, shapes) but he never does. I would say he plays about 2 hours a month. He also got few plug and play games for thr tv and he hardly even plays with them probably even less than the pc games. When friends come over I take the games away and when they cry for them I say sorry but there is not enough for all of you. He does watch tv but only cartoons and only because he has mild autism and his speach is way behind and he learns a lot of new words and how to use them by watching those short cartoons (fast and easy so he has a variety of them and they keep his ming working). But if friends come over the tv is turned off.
@alcazar (762)
ya the kids these are just techno alligned and they compete each other in that field how many stages did you cover in this game or how much score didu get in this....... The best is to just keep them away from it...
I often feel so sad thinking about it. How much they miss in life and what they are learning. They are our future and they cant even interact with people let alone hold a decent conversation. What are they going to say to clients when they work say as a doctor "go home I will e-mail your answers"