Gold Fish Age

@Erratic (724)
Australia
How long do Gold Fish live for? I have had mine for a year and a half now and it seems a little sluggish now like it's batteries are running down. Also how do you grow them BIG ones?
@lilybug (21148)
Well, in this house only a few months. My son has had 2 goldfish. The first one was a feeder fish that he won at the school carnival. It lived about 3 months. The second fish was a fan-tail(I think). It lived about 6 months.
@lilybug (21148)
The giant goldfish looking things are called Koi. I think they are actually related to the carp and not the goldfish though.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I think under the right conditions, they can live for several years. I'm sure that some varieties grow larger than others, but I do know that if you have them in a smaller tank, none of them will grow as large as they otherwise could. What size tank do you have them in?
@Erratic (724)
Yeah. I know that fish will only grow to an appropriate size for their environment (tank in this case). The tank I have is quite large and the fish had grown a bit since I've had it. Thanks
I had a goldfish that we won at a local county fair in 1990 live until 1995 and it was only because when we went on summer vacation, my father forgot to feed it. Goldfish are incredibly resilient pets-- especially the 'feeder' ones (you can get a few for under a quarter at your local Petland Discounts. I think the size of the fish depends on the tank.