It's all about you...

@dragon54u (31651)
Have you heard that phrase? I hear it in advertising by stores, fitness places, radio stations--everywhere! I think people are beginning to believe it, it's reflected in the way they drive, speak, and treat others. I promise, I'll start some positive topics soon but reading all the replies to some discussions, it occurred to me that we deal with people every day who are self-absorbed and inconsiderate. I think the media and advertisers have brainwashed people with an attitude of elevated self-importance. And for you who don't live in the United States, is this true in your country? Do you teach your children manners and expect them to be polite? Or does your media and advertisers encourage them to be selfish and not consider others? I must say, though, that joining this place has really perked me up. I haven't encountered a single jerk here! Whassup with that?!
@anawar (2406)
dragon_ There's no jerks in here because we're all incredibly brilliant and enlightened. Our population has a mentality of entitlement. The media pushes us to want more, more more and it makes people miserable. Soon, everyone will have to slow down and it will force us to remember how to take care of each other and stop thinking selfishly.
@dragon54u (31651)
I'm looking forward to that day! I think, with all this economic upheaval, that it might come sooner rather than later. That's the silver lining in this cloud, I think. We're all being stripped down to the basics and that can be a good thing.
@anawar (2406)
dragon_ I keep wondering if a complete breakdown is the only way to stop us from destroying our planet. I wonder how many things we would lose and how people will react? Maybe somewhere in the mayhem, a person waits to help us return to our sanity.
@Fishmomma (11390)
Hi Dragon Actually, I don't mind topics that some people would avoid, as think this is a great choice to answer. I do believe the world is a very different place, then my early childhood, as you know, I didn't have running water in the house or electricity until 5th grade. There still were a few people that treated others poorly, but I think the number of people trying to get ahead and don't care about others today is quite high. Its sad to watch people unwilling to help others and yesterday I held the door for 10 people. I was thanked by 3 of the women, but 7 people didn't even look at me. 5 of them were in their 20's and could easily have offered to help these three ladies. One of the ladies stopped to tell me I was the first person to help them and they were trying to get help for 30 minutes. My two daughters are grown and regularly help others. They are polite and know its important to be a great person everyday by helping others and be respectful.
@dragon54u (31651)
That's very sad. I'm glad you taught your daughters to be considerate and helpful. The thing about giving to others, like opening doors or letting someone take a parking space or letting someone ahead of you in line is that it makes you feel good. You feel as if you've done something nice that you didn't have to and it reinforces that you're a good person. Some would say this is the religious "do good works" but the Bible was very wise when it condoned such things as they make us very confident and self-secure. A whole generation is missing out on this. Bummer. Keep doing what you do and spreading around the good stuff!
@GreenMoo (11842)
I love the line 'elevated self importance' and couldn't agree more. It's about time that we about turned on this attitude of looking after number one and considered the rest of the world too.
@mamacathie (3929)
I see so many people that way. They think the world revolves around them and only them. It is all Me Me Me! Give me what I want! and NOW! So many people are so selfish and greedy. I tried so hard to teach my kids and now my grandkids to say Thank You, Please, Yes Ma'am, No Sir, etc. I have tried to teach them that if they see someone that needs help stop and help them don't just walk right past them and look at them. There are so many that do that and it makes me so mad to see those not stop and help. Well, I've ranted too this morning. Have a great day and God bless y'all.
@dragon54u (31651)
We know that many people do stop and help but it's discouraging that so many more do not. Thanks for teaching the kids in your family some respect--respect for others is also self-respect.
@dodoguy (1297)
Hi dragon54u, I think some of us can remember better times when community values and responsibilities had a more prominent place in our lives. Those days are long gone. At least, for this generation - it might go full circle in another couple of generations, as these things seem to do, from my reading of history. The idea that individual needs are the most important thing (ie, every man for himself) is part and parcel of the "greed is good" culture (which is plainly wrong IMO). That only works as long as there is a super-abundance of material wealth to sustain all the self-indulgence. It all turns a bit sour once there's not enough to go around - like about now, for example. That's when the "greed is good" mindset yields a dog-eat-dog culture, where the rich get richer and the average guy gets ground into the dirt, and no-one seems to care. Especially not politicians and other people of the wealthy class, because (who would have thought?) being the champions of this system that they are, they're sitting comfortably at the top of the heap. So it will take about another generation or two for people to generally figure out that being nice to each other works better in times of scarcity. We'll have to wait for the people currently pulling all the strings to either die or be shot before that happens, though. And so around we go again - just like it's always been...
@dragon54u (31651)
You have some very good points, too bad it takes so long to turn things around. I agree that society goes in cycles, just like everything else. When I was studying law for one semester (never got further) I noticed that in 90% of cases where customers sued insurance companies or victims sued manufacturers there was a common thread--the defendant treated the plaintiff like dog crap on the bottom of their shoe, coldly and with no concern at all for the damage they may have caused. That's when the people took it to court. We could avoid so many lawsuits if people, no matter their station or wealth, would just follow the golden rule!
@jer31558 (3683)
I think that the media and even political parties have is some respect caused people to elevate themselves on a pedestal. Yes, we teach our kids manners and for their sake, they had better be polite to people.